“Nice pizzas”
Review of L'Alternativo - CLOSED

L'Alternativo
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We visited this restaurant for the first time in 2012. We payed another visit in the summer of 2013. We were at the restaurant on a monday evening and we were the only guests, unfortunately. The pizza's and the deserts were great. Unfortunately they did not serve home made gelati anymore ... We sat on the terrace, the view is not that great since you are close to the main road connecting Menaggio and Porlezza.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

What a disappointment. Untidy and dirty tables outside on the balcony, dead flowers in the containers, a dirty floor mat hanging over the balcony railings which overlooked the busy roundabout. Inside, bright ceiling lights everywhere that could have light the M1 and a television blaring away with some silly game show, above the fireplace. (The fire being the only good thing about this place!)
I was so hungry and looking forward to a pizza bianca with some scallops. When ordering, I confirmed with the waitress, that the pizza bianca would be cooked with salt, olive oil and garlic, she confirmed yes - with a starter of scallops fusion style as they called it. I asked for both to be served together.
After 20 minutes, the pizza arrived and I asked where the scallops were, the waitress said they would be another 5 minutes. I asked her to take the pizza away and again explained that I wished for them to be served togther. 20 minutes later, both the scallops and pizza were served to me. The scallops had a little dressing of balsamic vinagar on sliced potatoes with a little lettuce.) Half the scallops were hard on the edges and inedible. The pizza had no olive oil, no sea salt and no garlic.
There was only one other table occupied with two adults and two children. I had to wait at least 45 minutes for my meal - which was only a starter on the menu - to be served.
I explained that I was not happy with the meal and my reasons why I was not happy plus offered to give them some advice on their presentation of the ristorante but that didn't go down too well!
Very similar response to a previous guest's comments, laughed at and told to go elsewhere in the future!
Not really the way forward in this economic world!
Until they can improve the standard of both food, cleanliness and general ambience of this ristorante, it is impossible to reccommend L'Alternativo to anyone.

2  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We visited l'Alternativo twice in 2 weeks. It is located outside the city centre, next to the main road connecting Polezza and Menaggio. The prices are friendly and the food is great. We had great appetizers (tuna tartare), a huge family pizzas and various other pizzas. You will need some gestures to make yourself clear in English, but you will be fine afterwards.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

We liked this new place and the inventiveness of the chef. We went back on a Sunday to sample the asian fusion offerings, prepared to pay full price and not benefitting from a special daily menu price. The chef had delegated to someone else, the food was literally inedible, and when they acknowledged that the meat had been improperly marinated in a wine that was really too strong and made it inedible, instead of apologizing or offering to take it back and serve something else, they literally laughed at us. NEVER AGAIN we will go back to this place. No way to treat customers.

1  Thank barbaraGeneva
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The Italian chef of this lovely new restaurant worked in Tel Aviv and in Asia, and is strong on fusian cuisine. In the meantime, the restaurant is packed with locals day and night for his Italian cookery. At lunch, the two course menu with wine and water goes for 10 Euros. And it's very good food--a pasta or risotto starter followed by a meat and vegetable main course. The desserts are not included in the menu but worth the additional cost--they are out of this world heavenly. Try the phyllo dough stuffed with almond paste. House wine is good. Pizza is superb. If you are in the area between Menaggio (Italy) and Lugano (Switzerland), you won't be disappointed.