“Tsugaru Kokeshi Museum”

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Tsugaru Kokeshi Museum”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Spent a morning here in late August - it was sweltering but this was a great place nonetheless! We participated in a workshop to paint our own kokeshi dolls, it was a lot of fun. The instructor told us a bit about the different traditional designs and then we painted our dolls however we chose. My two-year-old daughter was upset that she couldn't paint her own doll, I think the age limit was 4? In any case, the workshop was relatively short so she cheered up when we got walking again. We strolled among the cute souvenir shops which contained so many beautifully handcrafted goods! There were even some areas where you could watch the items being made. We settled into one of the on-site restaurants for a leisurely lunch, with standard but yummy Japanese fare - ebi tempura and curry. After eating we dipped our toes in the foot onsen that flows through the outdoor area but it was much too hot to be enjoyable this time of year, to my daughter's disappointment. We cooled off again in the shade with the best cone of apple ice cream I have ever had! Aomori Prefecture rightly deserves it's fame for apples. I wanted to buy all the souvenirs I saw... beautiful kokeshi dolls, hand carved wooden puzzles and children's toys, so much more - but we finally selected some fresh baked pistachio nanbu senbei crackers to bring home. Overall this was a great, mellow family activity, one of my favorite daytrips in Aomori!

Visited August 2012