“Lived up to its expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tsuta Onsen Ryokan

and 1 more site!
Tsuta Onsen Ryokan
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels / Ryokan in Towada
Perth, Australia
“Lived up to its expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here several years ago. We managed to book it only because we were connected on the phone with an English-speaking staff. During our stay, it was extremely helpful that one of the staff could communicate with us in English.
Service was excellent,. it is customary in Japan to call ahead to inform when one is arriving. Because we did this, we were collected on the road where the bus from Hachinohe dropped us. The segregated baths, the meals, and the room were excellent. Behind the inn was a large forest with beautiful beech trees and a lake. We walked here a couple of times. This presented good photographic opportunities. It was still early autumn (we came in September) and we could imagine the red autumn colours if we had arrived here a few weeks later.
This is a good base to explore Tohoku: Lake Towada is reached by a short bus ride, or a beautiful three hour hike by the Oirase Stream. Not far away is a large Onsen famous because of its huge size. Mount Hakkoda is worth a visit and further beyond is the beautiful city of Aomori.
Thoroughly recommended for a quiet holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bornean

Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I was by myself traveling in northern Japan on a business trip and wanting to experience a stay in the mountains and an onsen. This area of Japan hauntingly beautiful in late October with the fall colors. Much of my time was spent pulled over on the side of the road taking pictures of the streams, forests and hillsides full of vibrant reds, oranges and bright yellows. This Inn is tucked away in the mountains in a secluded area and offers a nice escape.

This onsen is supposed to be one of the oldest in the region, hence my draw to it. I had a concierge from another hotel call ahead for availability as I could not find any english websites to reserve a room. This is a very japanese style Inn - it is old and rustic, but charming and well serviced. I was greeted by their staff and shown around the facilities (the bathrooms, onsen, dining area, common room, and then my room). The rooms don't have locks on them, which is traditional for this type of Inn, but I felt perfectly safe as a woman staying alone.

I loved the onsen experience and I used it twice in the day/night that I was there. It is open 24 hours a day. I also went on a "hike" in the forest behind the Inn and found some beautiful streams and ponds. The air there is clean, crisp and rejuvenating and the soil is black and rich.

After my onsen, I went down to the dining area in my robe and had dinner and sake, from which there were so many offerings within the dinner (different types of soup, fish, noodles) that I could not finish it. For whatever reason, I sleep extremely well on the floor futons and had the best sleep of my life that night to the sound of rain outside my window.

I've spent 3 weeks total in Japan, and this was one of my highlights. I left feeling restored and happy.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank Jacqueline N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towada
Mori no Hotel
Hoshino Resorts Oirase Keiryu Hotel
Yachi Onsen
Yachi Onsen
#5 of 27 in Towada

Been to Tsuta Onsen Ryokan? Share your experiences!