“Place that I will visit again”

Nakagomi Fruit Orchard
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Minami Alps
More attraction details
Owner description: Nakagomi Orchard is fruit picking farm located in Minami Alps City, Yamanashi pref. You can enjoy various fruit pickings for every June - December period. Please feel free to visit us with your family, friends and colleagues!
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Though we worked at Nakagomi Orchard for 9 days only, Mr. Kazu gave us a memorable experience.
We start our day at 7:00 with tasty breakfast prepared by Kazu's sister. Then we work in the farm as explained by the host. Most of the work are interesting to us who lived in the city, and we are all capable of doing it. Some of the work are tiring, but that's what you are truly experiencing farming, right? We tried different work everyday, so we can learn various methods of how Japanese take care of their fruits. The host were very nice to us, we can enjoy as much fruits as we can EVERYDAY, we have break time every 2-3 hours of work, they prepare us homemade Japanese meals, and they brought us to hot spring and mount Fuji for a day trip. Upon we leave, Mr. Kazu gave us a big surprise that we can each have a box of fruit picked by ourselves and a jar of homemade cherry jam!!!
The house, the family, the farm, we experience lots of Japanese culture from the host. Honestly, this is the place that I will visit again!

4  Thank sawong

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I think Yamanashi is a good place for picking fruit. The fruit in this farm is fresh and delicious, it’s worth to spend a day to come here for fruit picking. The host is very helpful and carefulness, also he can speak well English and very welcome the foreign visitors. It is a good place for a day trip as it is near Tokyo and Mt. Fuji. I had a very memorable holiday here, I will visit the farm again when I travel to Japan next time. Strongly recommend a visit to this farm, if you want to enjoy a relaxing weekend.

4  Thank Fiona C
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I visited Nakagomi Orchard back in 2010 for 3 months during the spring as a volunteer on their orchard. It was one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had in my life. Working out in the orchard was very satisfying and the host and his family took excellent care of myself and the other volunteers. They cooked us breakfast and dinner every day, and provided us with a bento for lunch, as well as tea and snacks twice a day. The host would also occasionally take us to local Onsen to relax. In addition to taking good care of us I was able to learn a lot about caring for various fruit trees, and the methods in which the Japanese grow their outstanding fruit. (I now understand why fruit is so expensive in Japan. They put a lot of work into it.) I was also able to learn a lot about Japanese culture and history from the host and family.

That was back in 2010. This year(2012) I am Studying in southern Japan as an exchange student. I worked an extra summer job just so I could afford to travel back to Yamanashi Prefecture and visit the farm again for a short time during my summer vacation. I wouldn't have been satisfied if I'd visited Japan again without stopping in Yamanashi to visit the Orchard again. This time around I was only there for two weeks, but I loved every moment of it. The host even bought a second house just for the volunteers, so they can have their own space to relax after work.

5  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I've stayed in Nakagomi orchard during 22 June 2012-19 July, and return again during 15-21 Aug.
As my first wwoofing destination, Nakagomi is amazing. Here, I got free fruits to eat all the time. The three hosts: Kazu, Yoko-san and her husband are so kind that they ask all the time if we got the biggest peach, sweetest plum or fresh pears. I was lucky also to wwoof there cuz so many wwoofers from all around the world just make there like a miniature of UN! That was a lot of fun.

About the work, it's true that working hours are long enough to make you tired or get bored. But teatime and dinner time is always a delight. You may find out that you are not in an "intimate little family", but as long as you open yourself to others they will open to you! That's what exactly I've done.

As for the two awful reviews...I have to say, different people have different view. For me, I was alone there and felt like having another family in Japan! I love Nakagomi and its kind members.
Why not open your heart and give it a chance? You will obtain more than delicious fruits!:)

6  Thank chen y
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My WWOOF experience at Nakagomi Orchards was 100% positive.
In total, I stayed on the orchard for over 1 month and I even returned twice to visit in the years following.

I have been travelling and working in Asia for 4 years! Japan was the place I started my travels and in the 4 years of travelling I would consider TWO of the hundreds of places that I've visited home. Nakagomi Orchard is one of my homes, Fressegasse Restaurant in Karuizawa is another, and Toronto, Canada, my birth place, is as well.

Kazu an his family were NEVER rude to to me or their customers in my presence.
We worked for 8 hours a day but were treated VERY well. On our days off we were taken to Mt. Fuji and taken out to restaurants on occasion. We were given drinks and whatever food we wanted during out breaks and we could talk with fellow WWOOFers and work at whatever pace we wanted to work.

During my stay at Nakagomi Orchard there were a total of 11 volunteers besides me and every one of us enjoyed our time. Two girls from Thailand even returned to Nakagomi Orchards a year or two after I met them volunteering on the farm. Their farming practices may not be ethical in some people's eyes but a WWOOF host is not required to farm organically and they're allowed to make money from their farming. I don't agree with burning garbage and I told Kazu that I didn't agree. If he decides to continue doing so then I can't hate him for it.

I don't know what else to say!
If Van didn't like the work environment then he should have left! If he thought he was being asked to work too long then he could have asked to work less! During my stay I asked Kazu for a day off and he immediately said yes!

I'm sorry for his discontent while staying at Nakagomi Orchards but they were the opposite of how I felt!

5  Thank Mike P