“Returned to the view”

Ranked #3 of 8 Arthurs Seat B&B and Inns
Melbourne Australia
“Returned to the view”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

after a wonderful stay a while back, we finally got around to returning and were even more "wowed" by the newly renovated accommodation.
there is even more space and the new bathroom is amazing.
what i love about this place is how clean and tended it is, the owners treat the place like they themselves live there, so it is lovely.
highly recommend this for a night or if you can a weekend.
As a couples retreat, it is romantic and waking up to that view is memorable.
Enjoy your stay, as we did at Arthur's Superb Views!

Room Tip: we have only stayed at the penthouse, but we saw the bottom level room and this would be great for t...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank relaxingtravellers
ArthursViews, Owner at Arthurs Views, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Thank you for your great comments...come back again!!!!....we have just spent $150,000.00 on a complete make over....it is now better than ever....hope to see you soon.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I made a booking here a little while ago, and due to unforeseen family circumstances, had to cancel at the last minute. I understand that it was last minute, however the cancellation policy at the time said that I would be entitled to a 50% refund of my booking (total booking fee was $360 for one night). When speaking to the owner about my circumstances, he advised that I wouldn't be entitled to the 50%, however, he would be able to hold my booking for another time in the future- and had specified a date a few months from that point. Despite him acting contrary to the cancellation policy, I thought this was still an okay deal.
He confirmed this in writing through an e-mail to me. You can imagine my shock then, when a couple of weeks later I received another e-mail from him saying the offer had been retracted because I hadn't taken up the offer to re-book (Funnily enough, his initial e-mail was attached below, clearly stating I had another TWO whole months to make my booking). Not only did i lose out on a stay, but by agreeing to his terms of re-booking, I also lost out on the whole $360!
To those of you planning on staying at Arthurs Superb Views- BEWARE of the owner.. he has a vicious bite!

1 Thank Shakz101
ArthursViews, Owner at Arthurs Views, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
This is a little confusing as I cant recall you as a client however our policy generally states that...if you cancel less that 30 days from the booking then the full payment is required unless we can re sell the suite. We also suggest you take travel insurance (approx $14.00) to cover against unforseen circumstances.

We only have 4 luxury suites and given the cost of your booking, I assume you booked on a weekend. So when you make a booking and cancel at the last minute due to an unforseen circumstances, then this is a cost you pass onto the small business operator.

From your review it seems to keep good faith and so you were not financially disadvantaged I agreed to give you a voucher for the amount that could be used I assume from what I read in the off season. I agree this would be an OK outcome for you.

The rest is a little confusing as I cannot see why I would make the offer and then withdraw it, I made it in the first place out of good faith not necessity. In the absence of those emails or contact details for you, then please feel free to contact me at info@arthursviews.com.au and I will happily resolve for you.
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Make it simple in point form:
1-I could here the guest upstair ALL night. The kids were running ... U could basically feel the whole wall vibrating when someone upstair is walking.. What's more when those kids started running
2-room not ready on time, the owner asked us to go 'for a walk'
3-they charged me $65 for a bouquet of flower
4-totally over charge - nothing in the so called 'kitchen'
5-unfriendly

The only good side of this accomodation is the view on the deck

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Well-travelled-as
Sally S, Owner at Arthurs Views, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Arthurs Views. We always go out of our way to make our guest's stay as special as we can and your case we really tried hard.

At Arthurs Views we have a strict "No Children Policy" as we are a couples only retreat specialising in Romantic Getaways and the like. Children are not permitted on site.

We have as late a check out as we can 11.00am and a check In of 2.30pm and in between we need to service and clean the suites. We are not a 200 room hotel we have 4 luxury suites, so when a guest turns up 45 mins early and wants to check in...we dont have the option of doing this and would have explained that to the guest.

The guest wanted to orgainise flowers to be put in the suite for his partner and to do this we have to make a 44 kilometer round car trip. The flowers cost $45.00 to purchase and we put in a bottle of Champagne and charged the client $56.00? We also printed out a range of walking trail maps and the like for the guest.

There is no kitchen in the spa suite and they are not advertised with kitchens.

We always try and make everbody's stay as "Superb" as possible.
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We stayed there over 3 nights for a total indulgence of this area. coming back to that view day or evening was a magnificent sight!
the accommodation was genuinely amazing, the penthouse suite was the cleanest accommodation i have been too ever!
The owners were lovely and their strict rules of a "couples retreat". make it exactly that: quiet, relaxing, and private. We sought out all the lovely restaurants in the area to eat at and found the quaint breakfast included a lovely addition.
I have read a few of the bad comments listed below and all i can say to these unhappy travelers is try a local motel next time- at least then you cant complain about pricing etc! Arthur's Superb Views is everything that it says it is and NO WHERE in Arthur's Seat will you get that view unless you stay at this site!
Well done we loved your place.

1 Thank relaxingtravellers
Reviewed 19 October 2010

This place has the most amazing views. We stayed 2 nights over a weekend and the rooms were modern and clean and included a double spa which soaked away our stress.

This is a great area for wineries and restaurants and the owners were really helpfull and organised our reservations and their suggestions were spot on. They run a couples only retreat and it was very peaceful. Breakfast is serve yourself type in your room and we ate it on the balcony,

We loved it and it is only an hour from the city and is our new secret destination.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Well the views are perhaps to die for, but if you want anything extra in this place it's a bit like asking the owner/manager to die for you....
We just wanted to hole up for the one night after having a busy few months, so purchased a few nibblies and some gourmet sausages from DOC in Monrington on the way to the accomm. When we arrived we had a quick look around the enormous kitchen to find it so poorly equipped with next to nothing available for even one night in.
I approached the less than friendly owner/manager to see if we could use a barbeque (plenty of room for one on that huge balcony), only to be told that they don't encourage people to eat in and that we should either get take-away food or eat out at a restaurant.
I explained that we wanted to stay in, did not want to drink and drive, and so an initial perfunctory look around revealed not one frypan in the whole establishment! After standing my ground, one was eventually found. I was also informed that an extra $30 may be charged for cleaning the kitchen, what a joke!
If you are going to charge outrageous prices then you expect a little more than a few sachets of International Roast, the worlds smallest child-sized yoghurts and yesterdays stale bread for breakfast, (which yes - you have to prepare breakfast yourself anyway).
All in all, a huge dissapointment for the price, the owners have a lovely product to which they are just not doing justice. In the hospitality industry you can't afford to be mean spirited or people will go elsewhere to spend the big bucks!

4 Thank 50franks
ArthursViews, Owner at Arthurs Views, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
We try really hard to keep everyone happy and with over a thousand guests per year...well some are just not going to be happy for whatever reason.

Whilst Arthurs Views has 4 seperate luxury suites, we all share the same roofline and only 1 suite has a full kitchen facility. As owners we decided not to promote that kitchen facility as we thought it unfair that other guests who maybe are sharing a romantic moment (we are a couple only retreat) or indulging in say a hot rock therapy while having an in room massage, might find it unpleasant to have the smell of garlic sausages or fish being cooked?

We do not advertise the kitchen but it does come with kitchen-ware for re heating or cooking a pasta etc. The guest is right the balcony on the Penthouse is huge and the views from it stunning, but there is no BBQ on it (we are also in a high risk bush fire area, so the safety of other guests is paramount) and a request to find one on the spot was a little left field!

We are situated in the middle of one of Victoria's Premier wine regions with "Hat rated" restaurants such as Montalto, Ten Minutes by Tractor and The Long Table Restaurant all within a 5 min or so drive from Arthurs Views.

So if you dont want to drink and drive then take a cab or use the Red Hill Shuttle service and get out and enjoy some of the local culture, especially if you are staying one night, who wants to cook with these great restaurants and wineries around you?

Interestingly the person who stayed the very next night left this message in the guest book..."we have travelled the world but here in our backyard is the best view and room in the world. Thank you for a great 40th Anniversary...D&D"

I guess beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder...
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Beautiful place but highly strung owners

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank DP5563
Sally S, Owner at Arthurs Views, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
We dont seem to understand the problem or issue this guest has. We have tried to make contact through this link without success and have no record of a booking from a guest where there was a problem, that fits the profile, at that time.

We suggest if the guest reads this please contact us at info@arthursviews.com.au so we can discuss.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arthurs Seat
Dream Views at Arthurs Seat B & B
Polperro Villas
Polperro Villas
#1 of 4 in Red Hill

Been to Arthurs Views? Share your experiences!