“Spectacular tour not without hazards”
Review of Osa Canopy Tour

Osa Canopy Tour
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Ballena
More attraction details
Owner description: Osa Canopy Tour it's the most adventure tour in Costa Rica.We are located in the south area of Costa Rica. With 9 cables,14 platforms, two rapelling station,a suspention bridge and a Tarzan Swing. Our tour is in the mountain, we can see many kinds of animals in our canopy like: howler monkey, sloth,morpho butterfly,toucans diferent kinds of birds... Our longest zip-line is half kilometer; 1600ft.We also fly over a Beautiful waterfall, rivers, valley view, ocean view... We are just waiting for you, came and enjoy with us all the nature and beauty of Costa Rica.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Rossland
“Spectacular tour not without hazards”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Took the tour with my wife one week ago. I'm a late 60's, in shape, non-jock, not particularly fond of heights. Our guides were friendly, knowledgeble and for the most part efficient. The perfunctory instructions on how to control one's self while hurtling down the lines would have benefitted from a few more details, particularly for me. One of the problems that can arise is turning or spinning on the pulleys that carry you on the zip cable. In my case, on the second zip line, having not mastered the technique of maintaining a forward looking mode,I had turned around with my back facing the target platform. I was moving at a fair clip, it turned out and arrived at the platform with my legs crossed at the ankles, as instructed, my right mid calf striking the edge of the platform, with my body carrying on backwards with continued momentum, striking the guide who was attempting to stop me. The guide was sent sprawling, my helmet was pushed over my eyes from the impact and I came to rest. Several of my fellow zip liners appeared in awe after witnessing my arrival. The result was a rather painful hematoma in the calf muscle and a bruised ego. But not the finish to this story. The next arrival on this second line was a sweet woman who was suffering a great deal of anxiety after the first line and required assistance. One of the guides rode across with her but they failed to reach the platform, stopping about 30 feet shy of their destination . A second guide went out on the line with a rope to throw to the other guide with the woman. There was a lot of loud communicating going on throughout this exercise and then the fellow with the rope jettisoned himself from the cable and fell several yards into the jungle beneath. The couple were pulled to safety. Unbeknownst to us on that end of the line a drama had unfolded on the other end. My wife was there awaiting her turn. The weight limit per person on the line is posted at 230 lbs. Apparently while three people were on the cable briefly during the rescue mission, the combined weight was too much for the rig up at the other end. A guy cable clamp slipped with the cable striking William, the guide in charge at that end, across the throat and throwing him off the platform. My wife, a nurse, thought for a moment that his trachea may have been crushed as he was holding his throat and had difficulty breathing. Luckily for him and all of us, this strong young man recovered quickly, with a large laceration across his throat. My wife and the others in the party at that end had to miss #2 and #3 lines, hiking through some pretty gnarly jungle to line #4 to resume their adventure. The good news for me personally is that I seem to have overcome some of my fear of heights. In fact I was the first in the group to tackle the Tarzan swing at the culmination of the tour. Definitely not to be missed!

Visited March 2013

Minneapolis
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So much ADVENTURE for a great PRICE!”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This adventure attraction is SOOOO worth it! You get AMAZING zip lines........suspension bridge.........2 REPELS.......and a tarzan swing!! The guides are very good........they keep you moving so your not standing there and their ATTENTION to safety was like being in the US. This IS A MUST if you like zip lining!! I would come back again in a heart beat.

Santa Monica, California, United States
“Not for 'fraidy pants”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Fast ziplines, 9 in total, plus two "repelling" type drops, a swinging bridge, and a "tarzan" swing at the end. The lines are VERY fast, and you'll only want to try this if the most intimidating of roller coasters doesn't phase you. The staff are primarily young men in their 20s, who are professional and experienced. You will feel totally safe, as you are clipped to a line at all times on a tree platform, and kept away from arriving zipliners. If you have children with you, they can zip with a staff member, all of whom are great with kids. These guys are fun, have fairly good English, and great personalities. the only negative comments I have are that a) I wish they had spent a little more time pointing out the flora and fauna of the canopy, and b) the "snack" at end isn't much more than a few pieces of fruit and maybe a smoothie--water and bottled drinks cost extra.

As a note, you can ride up Osa Mtn. with the crew in the bed of a Kia truck outfitted with padded seats, or you can drive up behind them, so long as you have a 4X4 vehicle that can handle VERY rocky and steep climbs. Our rented Suzuki Jimny 4X4 did just fine, but be warned that if you do decide to try the climb, cut off your A/C so that you don't stall out on the steepest stretches. The trip up and down gives you a pretty decent view of rural Costa Rican living, and is absolutely beautiful at the top.

Overall, be prepared for an adrenaline rush, great scenery, a few steep hikes, a bumpy ride, friendly and knowledgable service, and a heaping helping of humidity.

Brentwood, Tennessee
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Not for the faint of heart”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We really enjoyed the zip lines and extras....a 30 foot rappel upside down of a platform for one...at this canopy tour. The guides were excellent- very friendly and professional. The gear was first rate and the zip lines were very secure. No shortcuts which made everyone feel safe.

We've zipped in CR, the RSA, and all over South America. This was as good as anywhere we've been. And a bargain at $55 plus tip.

Loved it!!!

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Jungle canopy tour”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The trip up the mountain was very steep but the scenery was spectacular. I am glad I had previously ziplined as the guides were less concerned about safety and overall comfort of the participants. The equipment used was new and in good condition but the fact that we did not have a glove for each hand made me nervous. I was tense after it was over but exhilarated at the same time. The tarzan swing and the fresh fruit at the end were wonderful.

Visited January 2013