“Thrills in the jungle!”
Review of Osa Canopy Tour

Osa Canopy Tour
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Ballena
More attraction details
Owner description: Osa Canopy Tour it's the most adventure tour in Costa Rica.We are located in the south area of Costa Rica. With 9 cables,14 platforms, two rapelling station,a suspention bridge and a Tarzan Swing. Our tour is in the mountain, we can see many kinds of animals in our canopy like: howler monkey, sloth,morpho butterfly,toucans diferent kinds of birds... Our longest zip-line is half kilometer; 1600ft.We also fly over a Beautiful waterfall, rivers, valley view, ocean view... We are just waiting for you, came and enjoy with us all the nature and beauty of Costa Rica.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The OSA Mountain Village Canopy Tour is outstanding. I took my daughter, son-in-law and three grandsons ages 8, 12 and 14. The guides were extremely professional, personable and SAFE! We all felt secure and comfortable throughout the entire adventure. Our group was large (18 people), but they had enough guides to keep things moving along. The ziplines were long which allowed you enough time to actually look around and enjoy the canopy below. There were also some additional thrills: a wobbly bridge and two places where you are lowered down from the trees by ropes. Then, there is the giant Tarzan swing at the end that is the perfect way to finish the tour. I've done other ziplines, but this one topped them all. I've just sent 6 friends off to try it today.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Visited here last week on our Costa Rican family adventure- it was the highlight of our week. Everyone from my kids- boy/girl twins age 6 to my husband/friends enjoyed this day. (As an aside- the guys were unfailingly kind and patient with my scaredy cat friend who kept yelling profanities out of terror.) The guides each took one of my kids, and I felt totally safe the entire time, and I felt like the price was fair. As others say- be sure you enjoy an adventure, the company description is accurate of the activities- not for the faint of heart! I just had to review because I LOVED IT!!! I'd recommend this place to anyone visiting the area.

1  Thank Sprincer
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We had a great experience zip lining with Osa Mountain Canopy. We were staying in Dominical, so we had a bit of a drive, but it was worth it. Our guides were safety conscious, fun, and kind. They were very patient and careful with my 78 and 79 year old Mom and Dad (who loved it). My husband and I had zipped with Sky Trek in Arenal, and that was an intense zip line. Osa Mountain’s zip line was exhilarating without being terrifying. I was able to look around and enjoy the view, which was fantastic. There were two spots where you are lowered down from the tree – I chose to go upside down and got a little “surprise.” Go upside down if you are adventurous!

A couple of tips:

Use the restroom at the office before you go up the mountain to start the zipline – there is no restroom at the start of the zip line.

We did the 1:00 tour, and I think we might have spotted wildlife if we had done the 8:00 tour. The guide told me that earlier in the day, there were howler monkeys spotted by the Tarzan swing.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

The staff was great. We had a lot of fun. My favorite was the swing at the end. You are always connected to something so there is no risk of falling. As with any zip line don't ever put your hands in front of the pully. They have a emergency stop procedure with a wood block that is slid forward if you aren't controlling stopping when they say. If you were to have it in in front and it could hit your hand or arm..

This was about $55 US per person. It was about 20 minutes south of Ojochal on the main highway. I think it was around mile marker 176 and there was a big sign. I did reserve in advance, don't know if it was necessary. They had morning and afternoon available. 100PM was the latest tour. I think we got done around 430 Pm. There was a drink and fruit snack at the end.

1  Thank DontwaitMn
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Took the tour with my wife one week ago. I'm a late 60's, in shape, non-jock, not particularly fond of heights. Our guides were friendly, knowledgeble and for the most part efficient. The perfunctory instructions on how to control one's self while hurtling down the lines would have benefitted from a few more details, particularly for me. One of the problems that can arise is turning or spinning on the pulleys that carry you on the zip cable. In my case, on the second zip line, having not mastered the technique of maintaining a forward looking mode,I had turned around with my back facing the target platform. I was moving at a fair clip, it turned out and arrived at the platform with my legs crossed at the ankles, as instructed, my right mid calf striking the edge of the platform, with my body carrying on backwards with continued momentum, striking the guide who was attempting to stop me. The guide was sent sprawling, my helmet was pushed over my eyes from the impact and I came to rest. Several of my fellow zip liners appeared in awe after witnessing my arrival. The result was a rather painful hematoma in the calf muscle and a bruised ego. But not the finish to this story. The next arrival on this second line was a sweet woman who was suffering a great deal of anxiety after the first line and required assistance. One of the guides rode across with her but they failed to reach the platform, stopping about 30 feet shy of their destination . A second guide went out on the line with a rope to throw to the other guide with the woman. There was a lot of loud communicating going on throughout this exercise and then the fellow with the rope jettisoned himself from the cable and fell several yards into the jungle beneath. The couple were pulled to safety. Unbeknownst to us on that end of the line a drama had unfolded on the other end. My wife was there awaiting her turn. The weight limit per person on the line is posted at 230 lbs. Apparently while three people were on the cable briefly during the rescue mission, the combined weight was too much for the rig up at the other end. A guy cable clamp slipped with the cable striking William, the guide in charge at that end, across the throat and throwing him off the platform. My wife, a nurse, thought for a moment that his trachea may have been crushed as he was holding his throat and had difficulty breathing. Luckily for him and all of us, this strong young man recovered quickly, with a large laceration across his throat. My wife and the others in the party at that end had to miss #2 and #3 lines, hiking through some pretty gnarly jungle to line #4 to resume their adventure. The good news for me personally is that I seem to have overcome some of my fear of heights. In fact I was the first in the group to tackle the Tarzan swing at the culmination of the tour. Definitely not to be missed!