“Anthenry Heritage Centre”

Athenry Heritage Centre
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Athenry
More attraction details
Owner description: The award winning Heritage Centre is the ideal place to discover history the fun way. The centre’s ‘Medieval Experience’ provides visitors of all ages the opportunity to be part of history with its medieval costumes. Become a Knight, Lord and Lady of the Manor. Discover your inner Robin Hood with the centre’s Have-A-Go Archery activity and engage with history with interactive exhibits of weapons and armor from the Middle Ages. Other exhibits include the medieval dungeon, the Market Street and models of this ancient walled town. Relax in the picnic area and explore the medieval maze too. The centre is also the home of the towns original Mace & Seal, the oldest of their kind in Ireland. Guided tours are available for all visitors to the centre. Discover the best-preserved medieval town in Ireland and visit a place immortalized by the song ‘The Fields of Athenry’ as a town rich in history and culture.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Looks a bit ho-hum from the outside, but a wealth of information available. My family in the village commented that they learnt a few things from the visit!

Alan B, Manager at Athenry Heritage Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for visiting the Athenry Heritage Centre and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate that the outside doesn't compliment the exhibits within the centre however our new exterior display panels will change this in 2015.

All reviews
"medieval town"
in 6 reviews
"medieval experience"
"middle ages"
in 3 reviews
"great fun for all ages"
"old church"
"castle"
in 11 reviews
"helmets"

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Greeted by a very friendly lady (Helen) who also took us round and told us all about Athenry. She was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the town and made the tour great fun. We really enjoyed ourselves.

Alan B, Manager at Athenry Heritage Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for the review of the Athenry Heritage Centre. Your post reflected the aims of the centre and the important thing is 'you had fun'. We hope you visit us again or pass on our information to family and friends.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I love the song and I finally got the chance to go and see the town, which is very picturesque, when I was in Ireland with my mother earlier this month.

We decided to visit the heritage centre and I have to say we were not disappointed when we got there. We arrived in the afternoon (it was about half 3) and the guide was kind enough to stay late and show us around and not only that, let us try out some of the costumes and the old fashioned crime and punishment equipment. It was a very interactive tour.

I shall definitely be going back and doing the medieval experience tour and I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I must say thank you to the guide whose name I did not catch (if you are reading we were there on September 10th). Thank you for an interesting and enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Roseanne B
Alan B, Manager at Athenry Heritage Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Hi Roseanne, thank you for posting a review of the Athenry Heritage Centre. As a visitor attraction, the centre and its tour guides are here to make sure all of its visitors enjoy the activities of the heritage centre and discover history through its interactive exhibits. We do hope that you can visit the Athenry Heritage Centre again and experience the best medieval town in Ireland.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was the best attraction we visited on our tour of the Athenry area, mostly due to the enthusiasm given by Helen, the tour guide. It was without a doubt our funniest, well informed attraction during our three day trip in the Galway area. I would actually put it among the top attractions in Ireland - the friendliness of Helen made us feel right at home. It gives a great insight to the area and we left feeling knowledgeable of the area.The information given by Helen was outstanding and I cannot believe people would give this attraction negative reviews. Our visit to this attraction was well over an hour and for the price was well worth every cent. If I had an option I would give this attraction 6 stars out of five! It is a fabulous attraction catering for all ages. Please go visit if in Athenry or general area.

2  Thank shelles24
Alan B, Manager at Athenry Heritage Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for your recent post about the Athenry Heritage Centre. Your praise of the centre and of its tour guide Helen is a wonderful representation of its history tour. Your comment of "I would actually put it among the top attractions in Ireland" is high praise indeed and we thank you for it too. The centre's tour guides are key to the visitor experience and your review reaffirmed this.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I thought this was very expensive, back home most of the heritage places are free. The archery was not worth paying for and I am glad we looked at it before we paid.

Alan B, Manager at Athenry Heritage Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for your recent post about the Athenry Heritage Centre. As a local community business we strive to offer the best value to our visitors. The general admission rate of €4 per person (with a further discount for Seniors & Students) includes a medieval history tour which lasts about 35-45 minutes. Our 'Medieval Experience' is competitively priced at €7.50 per person, with a family ticket priced at €26:00 (two adults & 3 children). This tour includes dressing up in medieval costume, a guided tour and the have-a-go archery activity. As a service provider to the Public, our admission rate and the activities we provide are competitively priced for the market we serve.