“Athenry Heritage Centre, St. Mary's | The Square, Athenry, Ireland”

Athenry Heritage Centre
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Athenry
More attraction details
Owner description: The award winning Heritage Centre is the ideal place to discover history the fun way. The centre’s ‘Medieval Experience’ provides visitors of all ages the opportunity to be part of history with its medieval costumes. Become a Knight, Lord and Lady of the Manor. Discover your inner Robin Hood with the centre’s Have-A-Go Archery activity and engage with history with interactive exhibits of weapons and armor from the Middle Ages. Other exhibits include the medieval dungeon, the Market Street and models of this ancient walled town. Relax in the picnic area and explore the medieval maze too. The centre is also the home of the towns original Mace & Seal, the oldest of their kind in Ireland. Guided tours are available for all visitors to the centre. Discover the best-preserved medieval town in Ireland and visit a place immortalized by the song ‘The Fields of Athenry’ as a town rich in history and culture.
County Dublin, Ireland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Athenry Heritage Centre, St. Mary's | The Square, Athenry, Ireland”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Tucked neatly away behind the town square is this real little gem of a center. I had almost gone past, when I noticed the door was open and so I dropped in. I was really surprised at what I found. It was one of the nicest little centers of history and education I have seen in a long time. The two guides were so helpful, and for a small charge of €3.00, they gave us a really fine tour of the center which details the mediaeval town of Athenry, one of the few towns in Ireland which has almost all of its mediaeval town walls. The center is packed with well laid out exhibits and recreations of mediaeval life. We were so taken with the place that we decided to tour the town and walk around its walls. We had already checked out Athenry Castle, but almost missed this place which adds so much to the towns history and the whole experience was so worthwhile. Very well done.

Visited July 2014
Alan B, Manager at Athenry Heritage Centre, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Martin, thanks for your review of the Athenry Heritage Centre. Its always a pleasure to receive feedback of our service and that your continued to visit the rest of this fantastic medieval town. We hope your review encourages others to visit us in the near future.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to have a child's party!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had my son's 10th birthday at centre & was highly impressed! My son said it was the best birthday ever! Kids were so well entertained by wonderful staff! I'd highly recommend Athenry Heritage Centre for a kids party!

1 Thank Orla C
Thanks for your post of our Birthday Party service. The centre is pleased that we can provide an alternative birthday party venue that is accessible to all. Its also a great opportunity for children to engage with history in a fun environment and experience archery, interactive exhibits and dressing up in medieval costumes.
Kaunas, Lithuania
“Amazing Medieval experience!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Absolutely loved it. There was a huge selection of medieval costumes, armor and weapons out of which we have chosen whatever we wanted to wear and equip. Interesting history and fun medieval facts were told during a little tour around the "medieval town". We were allowed to touch and try everything as well as take some great shots in the thrones. A great place to visit for both kids and adults.

Visited July 2014
Thanks for a great review of the Athenry Heritage Centre. We hope you left this great medieval town with a positive experience and that you'll return with family and friends.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A diamond that needs a bit of polish”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was at a kids party over the weekend, the facilities that you have there are brilliant, on arrival the kids were put in 2 groups and did archery, then in those same groups they raced against each other through the maze, indoors next to dress up as maid Marion or Robin Hoods merry men or Knights of the round table. Sitting at the large banquet table waiting for their feast to arrive (delivered from Supermacs), sipping on their red wine (cordial) and the lucky few got to have their faces painted. A brilliant change from the usual play centres and a bit of history. The only thing that let you down on the day I'm afraid were your staff. They seemed to me to be overbearing and overwrought and not too keen on children (or adults for that matter), lots of shouting, shoving and shrill whistling where a simple request and pause for comply would have done. I would love to return and have the experience again, hopefully with new or better trained staff, there's a lot to be said for a smile and a kind word

Visited June 2014
Thanks for your recent post of our Birthday Party service. We strive to make this service an enjoyable and memorable experience for all of our visitors. All of your comments have been noted and the service has been reviewed to enhance our party activities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic birthday venue for kids”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had my daughter's party there recently and I was so impressed. A very big thank you to Alan, Sue Helen and Greg who assisted throughout the party. What I really liked was the fact that they organised the events for the children to partake in such as archery, maze, tug-o-war etc and once one activity was finished they moved the children onto the next, so it allowed the kids to be fully occupied at all times. The big dining (banqueting) table was lovely and my daughter was thrilled to be sitting on the throne
For anyone wanting to visit, I think parties are held after the centre is closed to the public so as not to interfere with people who are there for historical reasons.
Well done to all involved, would highly recommend it.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank 925Abby
The centre is always pleased to see a review of our Birthday Party service as its provides a great alternative for parents looking for something different. The range of activities engages children of all ages and leaves them with a unique birthday experience.