“Bolton Arms Redmire ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Redmire
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We went to visit the castle but after reading reviews and cost of castle restaurant we walked to here instead. What a find. Lovely food and good attitude! This is quality food & northern hospitality at its best!

2  Thank David H

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Be warned. Three courses here is a marathon, so choose carefully!

The choice was much as you would expect, with desserts perhaps being the surprise. Often pubs serving a reasonably basic menu (no aspiring to gastro-pub status here) can be a bit ordinary in their desserts, with everything rather obviously bought in as an afterthought. Particularly if they only expect a handful of diners to get that far!

Not so here. We have eaten here more than once, and learned that it is worth saving some space. The list changes, and they certainly don't look / taste mass produced. Good selection available and much better than average flavour.

So if it is good pub food that you're after, at pub (not restaurant) prices, then look no further. They also have the good sense to stop selling tables once they're full so service was consistently well-paced and friendly.

We'd happily return when next in the area - there are many places charging more for less, in quality as well as quantity!

1  Thank Wags51
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Visited here during the Easter weekend and more recently in July. Following our visit on Easter Monday which we enjoyed the food, drinks, atmosphere and welcome I was determined to visit again.
The food was excellent, some of us having the Lasagne and Gammon and all coming with a selection of either chips, potatoes and vegetables. The staff were all very helpful, attentive and friendly. The garden at the rear of the property is well sheltered and on both visits was a pleasure to sit out in and enjoy the peace and quiet and take in the marvellous views across the Dale.
The Dining Room is spacious and airy with informal and formal tables or in the bar area,
I believe the establishment does B&B and also has some small rooms on the ground floor outside.
I will return without a doubt - might be a good idea to leave the car at home also!!

1  Thank JohnYorkshire_UK
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We came here for a family and friends meal the night before a wedding as many of the wedding party were staying here.
I had been warned by our taxi driver that the portions were huge and, having a small appetite, I was a bit apprehensive.
Some friends and I asked for starters as our main course and the staff were happy to oblige. The food looked absolutely fantastic but such huge portions would put me off. My starter of fish cakes with Gruyere cheese and salad,was delicious and just what I wanted. I just wish that restaurants would provide small portions for those of us who don't eat much
The staff could not be faulted and the barman went the extra mile by allowing me to use his phone, when my mobile failed to get a signal.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We've visited this pub several times over the past 3 years. It is always busy with diners often you need to book. The menu however has barely changed in all that time. There is nothing wrong with the food, it's just above pub grub status. Dishes like the sweet and sour chicken appear just to be served with ready made sauce from a jar.

The is nothing to complain about, the food is always give and the beers are good and I'd rather see this pub here than not so we will continue to support it. If just like to see a new menu at least once a year.