“Excellent Wagyu experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Wagyu experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Followed a friend's recommendation and tracked down this little gem of a restaurant. Tiny, modest-looking place, expect a queue (and a train ride out west of Tokyo centre) but the Matsuzaka beef was the best steak we had ever tasted. Cuts like butter, melts in the mouth. Served medium, it was tender and juicy, never tasted anything like it. You don't get very much for your 10k yen apiece, but this was a must-do on a special trip from UK. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Nancy D

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Superb Steaks Cooked Teppanyaki Style!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

My friend took us to this small restaurant saying that this one in Musashino-shi is much cheaper than the new branch in Ginza area. We took an express train there from Shibuya area. From the train station we crossed the street and bear left and walked about two blocks via an alley way. The restaurant also own the butcher store on the ground floor and there is also a very famous fried stuffed beef balls below.

We arrived at about 12 noon and the small restaurant was already packed and people were lining up on the stairs. We waited for about 30 minutes for our tables. Turnover seems to be brisk. When we were seated, we were told the most expensive steaks were not available. I was happy with the second choice which is cheaper and one level below the top grade. The steak was buttery and soft. It was excellent! They cooked it perfectly, as I ordered medium, and served together with a small salad, Japanese rice and soup. The Japanese rice was also very good and one could asked for refill which I did.

While we were eating another line was forming down the step. There seems to be a lot of foreign tourists who ate in Satou too. It is definitely a must visit restaurant in Tokyo for the price and steak quality.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kesilo
Jakarta, Indonesia
“planning to go again for the third time :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Been here twice on both of my Japan trip, a rather clear evidence of my liking to this place.

The biggest initial reason is because it's near Ghibli Museum, but then the actual reason because it is delicious :)

Please do ask for the Matsuzaka beef steak set which I recall is the most expensive set on the menu, trust me it is melt in your mouth delicious :)

I also like the least expensive lunch set menu too, the Oil Yaki set (they only serve 10 sets a day), very cheap (less than 1000 yen) and delicious.

Please do come early to avoid long queue (it's not quite comfortable queueing on steep stairs), as this restaurant is very small, maybe around 12 seating capacities.

Below the restaurant is the meat shop. If you still have room in your stomach or still have time (there's always a queue), do buy their meat ball (fried minced meat which is lovely on an empty stomach).

First time back in April 2010, I went as a couple.
Second was in April 2013, we bring our toddler along. Very sweet of them to provide children's tableware set even though she was only sharing food with me.

And yes, Satou is still included for my next Japan trip in 2014 :)

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank peachicato
Singapore
“Supered Matsuzaka sirloin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Actually we know about the beef ball on TV shows first then got to know about the steak house on top . We ordered both to 10K Matsuzaka Steak , the Sirloin and the fillet ..... Turst me it was the best steak i ever had , i am not really a beef nor raw person, so we ordered medium for the Fillet and med-well for the Sirloin ( i know ppl will say wasted not to eat med -well , but to me is the steak is good , even you had it Well-Done it still be good ) ... and the first bite you put the Sirloin into your mouth , u will like it , the fats of it .... its so yummy , i know 10k yen is abit too much but this is totally worth it. ( also alot of ppl said this is the consider cheap in japan itself for this ). We did not order the lower end ones which is at 2500yen so no comment on that but if you can afford ... got for the 10K sirloin !!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank KolaXiong
Seattle, Washington
“Very Satisfying Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I learned of this place after reading several online blogs about restaurants near the Studio Ghibli Museum (a 20 minutes walk South of this location). My travel partners and I arrived at 13:40 and had a little bit of a wait at the top of the very steep stairwell while the previous patrons finished eating. We were seating at the counter in front of the grill and all ordered the "Satou Steak" lunch special for 1500 Yen. My drink was a bottle of Wilkinson Ginger Ale, and it was better than any ginger ale I had in the States. We were first served a small salad and cucumbers while our steaks cooked, followed by the main course with miso soup, rice, and the steak with stir-fried bean sprouts. Like the previous travel blogs reported, the meat almost melts in your mouth, though some of the more fatty pieces did end up a little more on the chewy side. The owner of the restaurant did recommend the 10,000 steak when we first arrived, but we were all quite happy with our less expensive meals. The owner did ask (translated by one of the waitresses) how travelers like us knew of his restaurant, and we told him of all the good reviews on the internet. After hearing our reply translated, the owner only said "Ah. Ghibli." (in reference to the popular Ghibli Museum nearby).

I had to lower the Atmosphere rating one notch, due to the small size of the dining room and the steep climb up the stairs, but there is rather comfy feeling to the place. For those sitting at the counter in front of the grill, the restaurant includes a storage box underneath each of the seats for keeping personal belongings safe and out of the way while you are enjoying your meal.

• Visited August 2013