“Our base for 10 days in the Venito! Excellent as always”
Review of Villa Pisani

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vescovana
Villa Pisani
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vescovana
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Nine guests, ten days. We were welcomed back to Villa Pisani at Vescovana, central staging point for Venice, Padua, Verona, Ferrara and environs. M. Mariella Scalabrin was, once again, our host. With AnnaMaria in the mornings, our breakfasts were overwhelming, and with a planned meal for dinner, or drinks al fresco under the arbor shielding the south side of the villa, we were in another world. This is not a five star hotel; it is a working villa that reflects a life gone by. The experience is for those who do not need the expected air conditioning and instant hot water of a five star hotel. Rather, it is to immerce in the experience of what Italy and its landed gentry were like long before the pressure of commerce and industrialization changed our view of the world. Excellent!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are a must. You will learn how to open and close your shutters to keep heat at bay...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BenMerrill

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Two weeks ago I ventured by train from Venice, and stayed at Villa Pisani. Usually, I am not a 'countryside' person; I like the hustle and bustle of a city. I have been converted. In all of my travels, I don't think I have ever been more relaxed than I was at Villa Pisani. The Villa is glorious, a masterpiece, and its contents are beyond belief. The highlight of my visit was the time I had with Contessa Scalabrin. She is one of the most delightful persons I have ever met. We had breakfast in the garden; she sat and chatted with me. Mariella (she is very unpretentious) has the feeling that her English is not good; that is not true. My Italian is non-existent. With encouragement, she quickly communicated in English with me. This was my 8th visit to Venice and my first visit to Villa Pisani. Without doubt I will return for a longer stay at Villa Pisani.
On another note, I asked Mrs. Scalabrin about the negative reviews. As we all know, there is always another side to a story. Mrs. Scalbrin has her private apartments at one end of the villa. Because these people had rented 'the entire villa', they felt they were entitled access to her private apartments? Absolutely ridiculous. What I see as most telling is this comment : '...drinking wine until the wee hours...' Drinking wine until the wee hours leads to loud conversation, maybe some bad behavior? Let's get serious. And why would anyone rent a Villa for her family, and not know that the baths are what they are? Mrs. Scalabrin gave me a full tour of the property. In my bath, I had a tub with hand shower. Did it bother me? Not at all. At Villa Pisani, you are staying in a historic home. Many of the guestrooms did have shower stalls installed as a convenience for guests; I was happy to have a room with remnants of the old. I took a shower in my tub each day, and couldn't have been happier (or cleaner!). Read carefully the reviews that are positive. Those guests appreciate what I appreciate : a fantastic Villa, a wonderful location, gorgeous and carefully planned guest rooms, a delightful hostess, and an overall totally fulfilling trip. I will be returning, and soon.

Room Tip: There are restaurants in the town; the swimming pool was opened a few days after my departure. Morn...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HCSNYC
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Today, we have arrived at a remarkably beautiful accommodation,where notables,like Queen Victoria were received. This is a high class guesthouse with original frescoes intact. The rooms are furnished with antiques and has unimpeded view of a lovely park. Its a green paradise with lots of spirit and spirituality
Its south of Padua and only 62 km from Venice airport, Breakfast is served in the park. Superb

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eli B
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Villa Pisani Bolognesi Scalabrin

We had read an article about Villa Pisani in 2008 being one of the most wonderful places in the Veneto region to stay, and when we finally arrived this October, the Villa certainly lived up to all our expectations.

The Contessa Bolognesi Scalabrin greeted us personally and made us feel most welcome as we parked under the grand rear portico to unpack. We were guided to our rooms which graced the ‘piano nobile’ with passage via the ballroom and other reception rooms facing the front gates of the property and the public park with its towering trees. The two bedrooms were grandly decorated with faded frescos, antiques, and selected rugs with high comfortable beds displaying quality linens; bathrooms were en-suite. The view from both our rooms overlooked the formal garden behind the villa from across the grapevine-covered pergola, now in autumnal colours, where roses still bloomed in all their glory in the golden evening light.

After a long drive from Umbria Signora Bolognesi Scalabrin recommended dinner at ‘Al Porto’ in the same village of Vescovana, within walking distance of Villa Pisani (see separate review). After a splendid meal we arrived back at Villa Pisani to be greeted again by the Contessa and with pleasure retired to enjoy our rooms.

Breakfast was served in the private dining room adjacent the kitchen where we further delighted in the ambiance and welcoming feel of this home. The table was set in baronial style and the credenzas and tables around the large room seemed to groan with family china and silver, all beautifully polished and lovingly displayed. Coffee was served French-style with hot milk and an array of bakery items, orange juice, potted jams, and yoghurt. A service-bell was thoughtfully placed for our convenience.

By any means, our stay was all too short for we didn’t have time to enjoy the swimming pool in the vast English garden, or to relax under the vast pergola, both so welcoming after a long day on the road.

The garden and villa are open to the public for guided tours and draw many visitors throughout the year, especially to view the trees of this charming horticultural sanctuary where ‘olde roses’ formally hedged in with clipped box surrounded by gravel paths and a neo-classical fountain and statuary recall the aristocratic style of the 1800’s. As the website for Villa Pisani alludes: “From the ancient medieval courtyard, its lavish renaissance palace, to the elegant 19th century hall ~ a miracle of culture and love of nature restored and protected by the current owner”.

Villa Pisani Bolognesi Scalabrin on Via Roma, 19 in Vescovana lies 46 km south of Padua. Our group of friends stayed at our own expense for €130 per room per night with double occupancy including breakfast. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Holiday-Lake-Como
Reviewed 10 October 2011

What we say, says far more about us than what we are speaking about. Everything is relative. Positive people, experience the world in a positive way and have positive things to say. Negative people, experience the world in a negative way and have negative things to say. Psychotics see psychotics, rude people see rudeness, paranoids see hidden cameras and believe that hot water is being turned off. I have never written a review dispute having stayed in many villas all over Italy, France and Spain over the past 30 years. My opinions are just that. The reason I have broken my own rule is because I do not want you to miss out on one of life's truly spectacular experiences. Please do not let the ramblings of a few escaped mental patients dissuade you from experiencing Villa Pisani. Being sound of mind I experience Mariella to be an exceedingly charming, generous and interesting woman. Breakfast is served not in some bland, generic breakfast room as is the case in the vast majority on villas, but in Mariellas atmospheric private dinning room. This speaks volumes about how much Mariella wants you to experience her stunning villa. And being respectful and considerate, no rules were deemed necessary during our stay. Villa Pisani and the charming Countess of Scalabrin are an absolute delight (to all but dribbling basket cases)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank gilbertus a
Reviewed 21 May 2011

The Villa Pisani is a very special place. Truly enormous, almost palatial in scale and full of fine antiques and frescoes, the real glory of the estate is its elaborate formal garden and adjacent English-style park. We were fortunate to visit in mid-May, when the roses and peonies were at their peak.
I have visited the Veneto many times, and on this occaision was with a small group of friends from San Francisco, including an architect, two interior designers and a caterer, so we are all aesthetically-minded persons. I knew of the Villa by reputation, and decided to book a weekend's stay before moving on to Palladio's nearby Villa Saraceno (which can be rented for holidays from the Landmark Trust). At Villa Pisani we had three rooms, all of them different and impressive in their own way, some of them with staggering frescoed walls, and each enjoying glorious views of the gardens. The room I shared with a friend was the largest, probably measuring 25 by 25 feet square with very high ceilings, two windows overlooking the gardens and another French door opening to a narrow terrace. It was airy and full of light, and had two wide single beds with good mattresses and linens, a pair of 18th-century giltwood chairs flanking the fireplace, and many other fine antiques as well as framed sets of prints and paintings on the walls. Our bathroom was large but dated, with only a tub but two sinks, and the other baths I saw were smaller with tiny showers -- but no matter, two of them had fabulous fresco fragments. It is true the hot water takes a long time to arrive, but that is the reality in such an old house, and this is not a hotel.
In the mornings, an ample breakfast is served either on the terrace pergola or in the dining room, and consists of good cheeses, yogurts, fruit, excellent coffee and admittedly mediocre breads (why is it that despite the fabulous food in Italy, bread is usually terrible?). We especially liked the dining room with its many paintings, objets d'art and antique sideboards groaning with silver.
There is an adjacent and very large sitting room decorated with framed panels of papier peint, comfortable sofas, many antiques and an enviable collection of books on art and architecture, as well as an extensive collection of Murano glass displayed on the consoles and coffee tables. I think this was our favorite space in the house, full of personal photos and memories, and we enjoyed lingering there. There is also an impressive suite of very grand and frescoed state rooms on the piano nobile above to explore.
Our hostess, Signora la Dottoressa Bolognesi Scalabrin (Mariella) could not have been more welcoming. I especially appreciated her help when I stupidly lost my passport, and she spent literally hours on the phone trying to track it down for me. In the event I had to drive to Milan for a new one, but without Mariella's help this would have been a nightmare. Signora Scalabrin was also most willing to make suggestions and reservations for local restaurants, and there is also a cafe and bar conveniently located just outside the villa. We left full of admiration for the owner of Villa Pisani, who has undertaken the considerable work of caring for this gigantic house and its treasures. I would say my only disappointment was my own failure to not use the large and inviting swimming pool!
To sum up: If you want a 5-star hotel experience with lavish bathrooms and amenities like wi-fi, in-room telephones and televisions, do go elsewhere. But if you appreciate faded grandeur, want to dive into the true villa culture of the Veneto and experience a vanishing aristocratic way of life, then the Villa Pisani is for you.

Room Tip: All the rooms are charming in their own way.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Neopalladio
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We flew into Venice and spent our first couple of days here for some relaxation before entering the fray at Venice, Milan, etc. It served this purpose perfectly and we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay. Mariella Scalabrin, the owner, is a personable, charming and gracious hostess who was quite willing to share the entire villa with us: "When you are here, my house is your house." Our room was very spacious and comfortable, overlooking the very large and beautiful garden with a well-kept formal section surrounded by an arboretum of many grand old trees. Mariella serves a nice breakfast, and there is a good family-owned restaurant just up the road. We would definitely return under similar circumstances, or perhaps as home base for a tour of the Palladian villas of the Veneto.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobConklin

Been to Villa Pisani? Share your experiences!