“Terrible stay”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cranfield
The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Cranfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed in The Swan Inn for two nights and would not recommend it to anyone. The bed was ok, but bathroom and especially shower was in horrible shape. It was moldy and toilet was very noisy, even washing hands was noisy. I stayed in double room with my boyfriend, which was situated upstairs, below our room was bar, so it was very noisy there, especially in the evening. Towels were not clean and odor in the corridor was awful. I can't imagine staying there during winter because I could see gaps in windows.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lili1423
There are newer reviews for The Swan Inn

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I took an international group of fellow Cranfield MSc students here to experience English food and pub culture. Was incredibly embarrassed as the waitress treated us like a major inconvenience and, I guess thinking about it frankly what on earth were we expecting as there were already another 8 people eating there and the kitchen was busy (dining room pretty empty)! I think my shock at her tone and general treatment did make her reconsider her approach and she did seem to be trying but essentially was not cut out for a job in the service industry and would do well to consider perhaps manning passport control or a school for delinquent primary age kids. I think we all managed to eat everything on our plates and not spill anything on the table. The food was pretty good which is why I've rated it poor rather than terrible. Oh, also it was freezing in there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a good hotel with good location. It has got average facilities, but you get what you pay for. We felt this hotel is good for people visiting Cranfield University and Cranfield Village. Though Cranfield Village is in middle of nowhere, but showcase an attractive location. Room was OK OK, food was good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BhupeKhandelwal
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Having previously lived in Cranfield, I would have highly recommend the pub and their food, therefore the B&B seemed a perfect choice when I needed to return to the village for one night.

We booked the twin room and a single room. The twin is upstairs in the pub and was fairly clean. The single is outside the pub in an outbuilding on the back. Both rooms were cold, with no control over the radiator (it was switched off during our stay). The beds and bedding were clean, but looked old/worn. Bathroom was very dirty, needed a good deep clean and removal of hairs from the shower plughole.

Breakfast was basic with no choice: box of cereal (I had Crunchy Nut, not great for nut allergy sufferers), pint of milk, two slices of bread, a croissant and a yoghurt. This is all left in your room to sort out yourself.

There were no complimentary toiletries provided, as stated on their website, not even a bar of soap or any handwash. I also couldn't access the wi-fi in the single room and obviously couldn't get 3G mobile phone reception, as is standard in most of Cranfield.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank BB90
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed here for one night only. It was extremely basic, room was small and crowded. Although bed was clean the "ensuite" left a lot to be desired. The shower was stained with mould. The toilet was noisy, even making a noise when running the taps. The wall behind the toilet was mouldy and scruffy. Room had a fridge with continental breakfast and the only choice of cereal for two adults was Cocoa Pops!. However they did provide me with Soya milk as requested.
Would not stay here again or recommend this to anybody for an overnight stay. Having said that the pub was pleasant enough and food was standard pub food and OK.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Glyn L
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Stayed here overnight, last minute booking. Other reviews I have seen didn't seem too bad, but perhaps they had other rooms? I arrived at a basic town pub with people outside smoking and swearing. On entering I was shown to a room out of the side door and around to the back of the building, which was very basic. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and the old-school TV did the job. There was also a DIY continental breakfast in the small fridge in the room (which I turned off overnight because it was noisy). The room was also quiet. In the morning I discovered the shower was broken and one had to wash in the jet of water escaping from the broken pipe ;-(
All in all I wouldn't recommend this pub unless you can be assured of a decent room.

Room Tip: Avoid the single room out at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Taymar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranfield
Cranfield Management Development Centre (CMDC)
Travelodge Bedford Marston Moretaine
Travelodge Bedford Marston Moret...
#1 of 1 in Marston Moretaine
Mitchell Hall
Mitchell Hall
#2 of 2 in Cranfield
Bedford Road Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!