“Refreshing new option in Volklingen”

Leonardo Hotel Volklingen-Saarbrucken
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Voelklingen
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here in April 2014 for a about a week.
Was pleasantly surprised to see a new hotel (not sure when it opened as I visited Volklingen after a gap of 3 years), not too far from my head office in Saarland. Its in a quiet little corner far away from the hustle bustle of the town. Very well made and clean- may be because its relatively new.
Friendly staff, well maintained and modern. I liked the steel industry theme that can be seen splashed across the hotel- one of the elevators makes you feel as if you are going down in a old mine with posters of tunnels pasted on every floor on the opposite wall of the lift door. Even in the hallways you will find posters of steel works that are native to this region.
Surprisingly the whole hotel is non-smoking, there is no floor or rooms which are designated smoking.
The restaurant is quite good, though I am not an expert in continental food. But I liked whatever I had. The breakfast is OK with the usual continental menu. Rooms were well appointed with tea/coffee maker in the room, a mini bar with the usual stuff and LCD TV with decent selection of channels. Washroom was clean and well maintained, but the bath cubicle was very small, don't know what made them compromise on it.!
All in all a good hotel for business trips or a night over in a long road trip acrss this region, and I guess those are the ones that this hotel is targeting.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 April 2014

First impressions, very good. Set away from main centre and nothing within walking distance.
Clean and quiet, number 1 and 2 in my expectations when on business.
Restaurant food very good although minimal choice. Staff very attentive throughout every department, well done.
One negative, charge for wifi and it does not work in my room at least, very dissappointing.
Nonetheless would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Lovely room, terrific bed, nice clean mod ensuite, quiet.
Restaurant a bit stark, staff very off hand, but food good quality and plentiful.
Don't be tempted to have wine though as prices start at over €25 per bottle, and amazingly no carafes are available - they looked at me as if I was from another planet when I asked.
Breakfast was decidedly average, and at 08h30 there was no hot food left.
I also resent having to pay Internet fees (when did you last pay to use the lift or the TV in a hotel ?)

I would stay here again but if I wasn't alone I would certainly look to eat in a restaurant away from the hotel. In the meantime they might do a bit of staff training on customer relations...

Room Tip: Quiet all round
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Hotel is not bad at all. A little problem is super modern bathroom. May be it’s look great at pictures, but in real life all devices are inconvenient. Nothing special for breakfast. So I expect more from this four stars art hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had a good lunch. I really enjoyed the pasta I got. Really tasty and with a plenty of flavor. The waitress was professional. The wine was good also. The ambiance is very modern and friendly. The menu was various and with also a modern cuisine. I advise you to try a lunch or a dinner in the restaurant of this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed here en-route to Freiburg as we just wanted a place for one night and the room rate was attractive. I have to say that we were very impressed with this hotel.

The rooms are very modern and spotlessly clean. The bed was super comfy and the bathroom was equipped with one one of the best 'rain' showers I have used - the sort of shower you would expect to find in a suite costing a lot more! There was also tea and coffee making facilities (free), minibar and safe.

Parking at the hotel was free which was a real plus - how many times have we stayed at a Novotel to find out that parking is 8 euros per night! A refreshing change from the norm!

Breakfast too was excellent - but at £10 per head it is pricey.

There is a very basic gym in the basement - there is only one piece of home gym equipment which looked like it would break after ten minutes of use.

There was also a very nice but small spa and wellness area with two saunas.

This is very much a business hotel but we were very impressed. We usually stay at Novotels and I have to say that this was an improvement over any Novotel we have stayed at in the past.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Super friendly and helpful receptionist upon arrival, i had a good impression of this hotel. The room is modern, pleasant and comfortable. I like the small candy bag as welcoming gift on by bed. Sauna is super.

The food at the restaurant in the hotel was not so good, in general it was too salty.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Voelklingen
Mercure Hotel Saarbruecken Sud
Hochwalder Wohlfuhlhotel
#1 of 3 in Losheim am See
Best Western Victor's Residenz-Hotel Rodenhof
Angel's - das Hotel am Golfpark

Been to Leonardo Hotel Volklingen-Saarbrucken? Share your experiences!