We had a terrible stay here – worst hotel experience during 1 month in Madagascar. At first look, this seemed like a luxury hotel. Upon our 1st night’s stay, we realised it is completely overpriced, with nothing to justify the rates it charges.
- Gorgeous design of public areas (e.g. library near reception) and rooms (e.g. luxury tent with indoor/outdoor showers)
- We called ahead before confirming a reservation to ensure 3 priorities would be met: availability of hot water, availability of WiFi, and option to pay with credit card
- 1. Rooms do not have hot water until long after check-in:
Hotel did not provide electricity to our room until after we had checked in in person – even though we called ahead with an arrival time. So after a long day hiking in Isalo Park, there was no chance to shower until more than an hour after arrival.
- 2. Poor / NO WiFi:
Despite what we were told when we called, the hotel has no real usable WiFi. On 1st night, 20 guests literally huddled around 1 VERY weak router for ultra slow speed connection. On 2nd night, hotel had not paid its 3G service fee, so no internet access at all (see below for further implications of this)
- 3. Problems charging Credit card:
The Receptionist told us by phone they accept Visa. Upon check-out, however, the credit card machine was unable to complete transaction because of the hotel’s lack of internet connection. The Receptionist instead accused us of our credit cards (ALL 4 OF THEM) having ‘problems with our banks’ (despite our banks all confirming our cards were fine when we called them on the spot). This resulted in a 1 hour debate, after which he reluctantly paid the internet bill and got the credit card machine to work. In addition, we were charged 3.5% surcharge for credit card payment, which we were NOT informed of when we called or checked in.
- Finally, the Receptionist was unreliable and untrustworthy:
He gave every guest a different price for their room (negating the supposed fixed rate listed online). He would not provide us with an additional blanket in winter, until we called several times. At check-out, he refused to admit that the hotel’s credit card machine had a problem (see above). This Receptionist single-handedly ruined any chance of the hotel being an acceptable place to lodge.
- Also Known As:
- Satrana Lodge Madagascar/Isalo