“worst place on earth” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau de Grande Romaine

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lesigny
Chateau de Grande Romaine
Amman, Jordan
“worst place on earth”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

dont listen to anyone who has said anything nice about this place. the rooms have no towels or soap. the staff do not change the bed sheets and the bed blankets nor clean the room. the beds are not even bunk beds they are two separate beds glued on top of each other and the matress is a sponge not an actual matress. the food is atrocious, the eating utensils and cups are filthy and the staff are very lazy, rude and do not even know how to operate things in the campus. the only good thing in the camp are the outdoor activities. never visit this place

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank hamza y
PGL_Admin, Manager at Chateau de Grande Romaine, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry that the accommodation did not meet your expectations. At Chateau de Grande Romaine, as at all our PGL centres, our aim is to provide clean, comfortable accommodation which offers value for money to school and youth groups. This was made clear to the agents who arranged your tour and had previously carried out an inspection visit to the centre. We provide a limited housekeeping service each day whereby toilets and bathrooms are cleaned and bins are emptied, but we do not change bed linen.
Soap or towels are not provided as standard, but can be supplied at a small supplement. Rooms are of course thoroughly cleaned and bedding changed prior to the arrival of each new group.

As regards the quality of food, we do take customer feedback very seriously and continuously review our menus to see where improvements can be made. Your comments about staff are surprising and without more specific information it is difficult for me to respond to them. I can, however, assure you that we ask for detailed feedback from all Party Leaders during and after their stay, and any concerns raised at that time are followed up immediately.

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the outdoor activities available at Chateau de Grande Romaine and hope that you found the excursions to Paris and the surrounding area interesting.

With kind regards

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Rustington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

Like most people I had read the negative reviews - and chose to ignore them! This place is great. It's not the Ritz, but is more than acceptable. As a family we spend many nights a year in Premier Inns, Ibis' and Travelodges - ths is on a par with them. BUT - the difference is that you feel like you're part of someones extended family!
This may not be OK for all - dining room, help yourself food (plenty of it, warm, fresh and filling!). Bed was more than comfy enough, room was a perfect temperature. Plenty of powerful hot water in the shower, which was big enough and clean.
Family quiz entertainment one evening was great fun for chatting to other families. It may not be for all, but you're not forced to go! The staff were great! Well done to Emily and Phil for their acting skills!
Close enough to Disney, and to Paris (drive to Ozoir, 5 minutes away, - free parking! - and catch the train; then use th metro; much more fun,easy to find your way around and cheaper!)
Definitely recommend and hopefully will return.
Thank you all!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Val L
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

We had a great four night break, the staff are ALL really friendly and made our stay a real joy. Arrived Monday to cooked meal, food and plenty of it is a real plus point, food for pack lunches is made available so even with trips to EuroDisney and Paris...we spent nothing extra on food = Result!

Our week consisted of travel Monday, day of activities Abseil, Climbing, Trapeze, Zip Wire etc on Tuesday. Wednesday we spent the day at EuroDisney and Thursday in Paris. Quick trip home typing this. Will be going again!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank emlynt
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I came back from Paris with my school (I'm in year 10' but its open for 10's and 11's) just 2 days ago (we travelled back over night Monday and arrived back outside school at 5.30am Tuesday morning). Throughout my trip it was a really fun holiday, the activities was fun and enjoyable, the food was nice and the leaders didn't seem fun but Phil our team leader at evening activities and Laura our leader for day out activities they was really fun and nice. On most coach trips Laura always entertained us by doing girls vs boys quiz's but not all the time. Our coach driver Richard who was with us all the way threw our trip from the departure at 5 in the morning on Friday to the arrival at 5.30 in the morning Tuesday,was great fun too. His voice seemed to have got more serious every announcement on the coach trips as the holiday went on.

The days out in Paris was by far the best moments. From being chased up the steps leading up to Sacre Coeur, dabating with a Californian dude in the small village behind Sacre Coeur about who's accent was cooler, getting lost in a small village with the market there doing the village trail (forgot what the village is called:( ) , speaking a little French with a few people, getting told by some French man not to speak French if we're not French (in the small village), watching someone propose to someone in our group by the Eiffel Tower who didn't even know us to counting the amount of dirty looks I got. Disney Land was really fun but 2 of our teachers was embarrassing us by singing and dancing when the parades was on and coming up to me saying 'do you believe in magic?' Which was embarrassing . Me and my friend kept loosing the other people who we was walking around with in Disney land as she kept walking off when we was taking pics without knowledge. The rides are really good there and the atmosphere of the teachers was surprising. Me and someone else was constantly taking my teachers hat (Sunday and on way back-he was sleeping on the way back xD ) because his hat was comfy! The days out are AMAZING! But if you go to Sacre Coeur, keep your hands in your pockets as people run up to you and put a braclet in your wrist and make you buy it (nobody had this done to them in our group, but me and my friend was chased by one...) and there is also people in the church there who try to do something to you (some woman while waking around was trying to get me over to her but I refused and kept walking but faster...) so be extra careful when your in the church. The sights up the Tour Montparnasse are amazing and it's unfortunate we couldn't book tickets to go up the Eiffel Tower before we went as it was Easter Weekend, but we still saw it and went to it, it'd amazing. I'm not going to write more about my memories from the day outs because ill be here for ages typing and you will be here reading for ages... That's how great they was.

The coach trips was amazing as originally stated. The atmosphere from our school party was better than I expected. The coach trip overnight back to Birmingham was ok, but I can't sleep on coaches (this has nothing to do with PGL) so I was awake alone apart from the coach driver Richard obviously so I was there counting lamp posts for the whole way back (I slept for about 5 mins throughout the whole trip back). So take some sort of entertainment if your traveling over night.

Accommodation isn't great but it is ok. The bathroom door accasionally got stuck when locked so someone needs to be in the room when someone is having a shower etc.
I was reading the reviews a couple of nights before we went, "mould everywhere" , "we found 10 exotic spiders and ladybird eggs in our dorm", "top bunk fell down on the bottom bunk in the middle of the night"... This was not the case in our dorms, when we got there we was all waiting for the number "280" to be read out, but nobody had that dorm in our school (I think the 3 dude teachers did but they had no problems). However, one dorm did have "rat traps" or something under the beds, but nobody has any other problems. The accommodation should be improved as the dorms wasn't great, but we all survived so its liveable; you get told you sleep in the building shown but you don't, you sleep in a separate building at the back.

The food is edible and nice. On Sunday we got a chance to try snails, our evening team leader Phil tried to make me eat a snail, but I didn't ahahahahahahaha. Some people bought pot noodles from home but the food wasn't that bad, no great but not bad, it's like canteen food at school.

Overall this was an enjoyable holiday, but I'm sure there is better options out there. It's good for school trips but not so sure for family trips.
Thank you PGL for the fun memories.

Room Tip: Not 285 ( our dorm) as this is smaller than the others allocated to our school. Try to get 2838 (I...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarz_xx
PGL_Admin, General Manager at Chateau de Grande Romaine, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments. I’m glad that you enjoyed the trip. It sounds as if your teachers (working closely with our reservations team in the UK) planned a great excursion programme for you, so that even in a weekend you were able to fit in most of the main Paris sights.

PGL works with carefully selected coach companies to ensure our groups are safe while travelling, but we also receive excellent feedback from clients about our drivers. I was pleased to hear that your driver obviously enjoyed the experience of accompanying your group and was an asset to the trip.

As regards the PGL staff, one of the benefits of having a designated Tour Leader (to accompany you on excursions) and Group Leader (to organise your evening activities) is that they can really get to know your group and you can build up a rapport with them.

We appreciate your comments about the accommodation; we will keep up our ongoing programme of refurbishment so that we can continue to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with feedback, and we look forward to welcoming your school back to Chateau de Grande Romaine in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Although I wouldn't reccomend this for a family holiday, I would deffinitely say it is excellent for a school trip. The rooms weren't up to a massive standard however the rooms are clean and they DON'T have an infestation of ladybirds. Occasionally I saw a fly or moth flying around in our room however nothing that made me feel like I would never want to go again. The rooms are reasonable sizes for me and three others. The rooms are all in a long corridor on a different level to the boys. You don't stay in the big chateau that it says you do, instead you stay in one at the back. The food is not appauling however it isn't the nicest I have ever tasted. You do get the opportunity to try new traditional French foods such as snails which excited me. I really enjoyed them and I will have them again! If you do get to try snails don't let them go to waste. I would deffinately try them or else I am sure that someone else will almost eat the lot! There is a games room which wasn't at the best state however it was very fun to play in. We weren't allowed in the pool however we still had an excellent time climbing the Eiffel Tower, going to the French Market, going to Disneyland etc. etc. The evening activities that we did here were also amazing and I wish I could go here with the school more often. I don't understand why other people have rated it so badly because when you experience this with friends it is a really good trip (however not quite 5 star accommodation)

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Teddybear2013
PGL_Admin, General Manager at Chateau de Grande Romaine, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim is to provide groups with clean and comfortable accommodation and I am glad that you found this to be the case. I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the excursions to nearby places of interest. I hope you and your friends were able to practice your French at the local market!

As regards the food at Chateau de Grande Romaine, our management team take all guest comments very seriously and we are constantly working to provide healthy and satisfying meals with a French flavour. We have recently added sample menus to our website to give a taste of what we can offer - take a look at the 'Teacher Guide' section.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the evening entertainment. This is included in our prices for all groups and our staff try to offer activities which are fun, as well as encouraging you and your fellow students to work as a team and learn a bit more about France.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope to welcome your school back in the future.

United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I am sure there are much better hotels in Paris to really experience authentic france. This hotel could be located anywhere, as nothing about it screams 'Paris'.
The facilities are good, rock climbing, absailing etc but who wants to be climbing man made walls in a field when you are in the capital city of France?!
As i said very much a place for rowdy schoolchildren who need to run off those excess amounts of energy.
However whilst the place itself looks aesthetically pleasing, the inside is plain and suited for young children rather than adults. The grounds are very nice for enjoying the Parisian sunshine.
Decent location.
The food is disgraceful, and to be honest after the stale bread offered up by this place, snails were beginning to sound rather appetizin

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank E D
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your visit to Chateau de Grande Romaine. I am sorry that you felt the experience of staying in Paris was not as authentic as it could have been.

The main purpose of the Chateau is to provide a safe and secure educational base for groups of young people. It is within easy reach of the main sights of Paris and local French towns but its location (in 70 acres of its own grounds) allows us to provide facilities and services which add tremendous value to a group’s stay. These include entertainment every evening, sports facilities, activity bases and a dedicated Tour Leader to accompany groups on excursions. We believe that many teachers and group leaders choose to stay at Chateau de Grande Romaine because these extras would not be available at a city centre hotel.

Having said this, we do try to give the whole experience a French flavour by giving students the chance to try local specialities (such as snails), and offering activities which encourage them to learn French words and phrases.

I was sorry to read that the food did not meet your expectations; please accept our apologies for this. Our management team do take all guests’ comments on board and these are used to continuously improve the quality of our catering provision.

I am glad that you enjoyed the activities on offer and were able to benefit from good weather during your stay. Our outdoor, heated swimming pool is open from May to September (weather permitting) and provides an excellent chance for groups to escape the summer heat of Paris when they return from their excursions.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Christophe Verhaeghe

Travellers are raving about these Lesigny hotels

Allendale Town, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

This hotel is a very good hotel for a educational trip. When I went I thought you would be staying in the pink building but you were in a adjacent block. The corridors aren't 5* star but good for what your getting the rooms are ok but small and are only bunk beds the floors and surroundings are clean however underneath the bunkbeds there is writing from past people. The bathroom area is reasonably clean but quite small! However I had no problem sleeping or washing. The pink building is very dated and not as nice on the inside as the outside! However the food is good quality and I wasn't disappointed by it! Although some of the rooms upstairs such as the arcade and conference rooms were dated and felt quite bare! The activities inside the centre are very good but there are not as much as I have seen at other sites! However the staff have plentys of ideas for other games so your never really bored! However overall the centre is good for a educational trip but for families I probably wouldn't recommend it!

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Dan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lesigny
Hotel ibis budget Pontault Combault RN4 Marne la Vallee
Hotel ibis budget Pontault Comba...
#3 of 4 in Pontault Combault
Ibis Budget Marne la Vallee Pontault Combault
Ibis Budget Marne la Vallee Pont...
#1 of 4 in Pontault Combault
Chateau de Marechal de Saxe
B&B Hotel Pontault-Combault
B&B Hotel Pontault-Combault
#2 of 4 in Pontault Combault

Been to Chateau de Grande Romaine? Share your experiences!