“Lovely pub in the middle of a one street village”
Review of The Plough Hotel

The Plough Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yetholm
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed here last year before they did B&B (or at least, knew they did!). Very friendly publican, probably the best steak I have ever had in my life, and good beer too (and also the only usable internet in the village too!!)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed at this pub in Town Yetholm. Their website said the bedrooms had been recently refurbished but this may have been in 2008 when their website was designed! My room was spacious and it had a large ensuite bathroom but everything was just a bit dated and dusty. My room door didn't fit the frame properly, the outside door handle was hanging on just one screw and there was a missing lightbulb in the ceiling fitting. Attention to detail is obviously not Andrew and Diane's forte. Our arrival boded well as the pub was lively with people having lunch and some friendly locals. The food looked good. We thought we were in for a treat - especially after reading reviews of this place by others stating that the food was "gourmet standard" and the chef imaginative etc. Boy, were we disappointed. The first night we ate in the restaurant (the bar area had been taken over by the local darts team) the food was very mediocre. The Eyemouth haddock disappointingly poor, the salad with the lasagne old and limp. The only good thing about the meal was the chips! The first night's sleep was dreadful due to rowdy locals sitting outside bedroom window and jukebox booming underneath room until after 1am. Breakfast was disorganised and they really should do something about those awful creased bottle green table cloths! Needless to say I would never stay here again and if I was ever to walk the full length of the Pennine Way and end up in Kirk Yetholm I would thank my lucky stars for the Border Inn where we ended up having dinner after the first night at the Plough, and where the cooking really was imaginative and good. Andrew and Diane should take some lessons from them. They need to decide if they're running a pub for the locals or if they want to invest in a customer centred bed & breakfast worth staying in.

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the front of the pub over the "beer garden".
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights. The staff are friendly and efficient, and locals at the bar are chatty and welcoming.
I was very surprised by the quality of the food at dinner. There was a great range of local produce, which was imaginatively cooked and presented.
My room was spotlessly clean, and had everything I needed. There is no O2 signal in the village though. But the hotel has free WiFi.
After the fabulous dinner, breakfast was a disappointment somewhat. The streaky bacon was too salty to eat. Upgrading to back bacon would be better. Considering there's a butcher 50 yards from the hotel, the quality of the sausage was poor. And the egg had been fried in the same pan as the meat, making the egg black and speckled.

All in all, a great little place. A few tweaks at breakfast would make it excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank carlislecat
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Went to yetholm for a few days rest being in the industry I know how tired we all get. But I have to say a big thanks to Steve Shelley and Nicola for making my stay so comfortable. Along with the locals they made me feel very welcome and I will definitely return soon. Thoroughly recommended and thanks again

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank wallace201
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Enjoyed delicious cuisine at this country hotel. I have travelled widely throughout the UK and would class the Plough hotel chef as one of the top 5 in my lifetime.
Imaginative, great value and worthy of a few stars, it is a pity that management have done little to publicise this recently appointed chef's talent

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank BordersHappyChappy
Reviewed 22 April 2013

we stayed here on sat with our dog and it was just lovely. bar man very friendly and the room was lovely and our dog settled there really well especially in the bar and the room we were given was ideal as our dog didnt buff as there wasnt people passing the room. had a meal and it was lovely. dissappointed they werent offering 3 courses for £20 but he did say they were short staffed but our main course was lovely anyway. lovely walks round about and attempted the peninne way well one of the walks and gutted we didnt go further as we would have reached the border. (says so on my walking app on fone) will definately be back and hopefully soon. :)

Room Tip: great rooms and very spacious.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elainecolliar66
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Whilst staying in Yetholme we decided to have a meal out at the hotel. First impression was of a tired looking hotel that was showing its age. We called to ask for a reservation but was assured that due to no one else calling in there would be space. This didn't bode well!!! We arrive for the meal (3 courses for £20) and were given a wide variety of choice for food. Although we had to wait for a short while (this was later acknowledged with the price of the meal) the food was exceptional. Beautifully presented and well cooked. Not over done to the point of death but really good. The staff were pleasent and polite and accomodating. We are regular visitors to the area but would be willing to travel to Yetholm in order to have a good meal at reasonable cost.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alfie-Archie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yetholm
Ednam House
#2 of 5 in Selkirk
Queens Head Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
#3 of 4 in Kelso

Been to The Plough Hotel? Share your experiences!