“Excellent experience”
Review of The Plough Hotel

The Plough Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Yetholm
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have visited the Plough Hotel for drinks on several occasions, but tonight was the first time I had eaten there. The menu was varied and all from local produce. The prices were reasonable, the staff very friendly and even the other guests were good for some banter.
I had a battered haggis starter which was divine, followed by belly pork over a spinach mash. The portions were large and filling, the flavours excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Too full to look at the sweet menu at this point so that review will need to wait for another day.
Highly recommended, good value for money, definitely eat there again.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Trying to find somewhere in the Scottish Borders which provides decent vegetarian food is really difficult, and after our recent visit to the Plough, we are still disappointed.
The vegetarian 'curry' was bland and stodgy to say the least - I think it was actually the risotto which was part of the starter menu. It was served with not only rice, but chips and salad too - all piled up on the same plate, which was a bit daunting. Neither I nor my partner are particularly fussy when it comes to food, but as vegetarians, it would be nice to see something on the menu with the same imagination and thought that goes into meat dishes. Oh well, our search continues.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

went there and to the valley butcher which is one of the best in the borders
There is noting fancy about this pub the menu may be on a chalk board but it is fresh we drove over 70 miles to visit the butchers and have lunch there we started with a fish platter of sweet herring smoked peppered mackerel and crayfish with nice brown bread an butter. for the man I had slow cooked lamb Shank with dauphines potatoes and a good selection of mixed fresh veg.
my friend had a huge gammon steak about a quarter inch thick with pineapple and probably the best chips has ever had, The house red was good as well. Its a long time si9ne we were there but wont be so long till we return

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Do not go here if you are in a large group. We arrived and found no staff to be seen in the dining area, and we were not shown table, and when a "waitress" did show up, she was clearly not expecting a big group, even though we'd booked weeks in advance, and she did not understand how to take a large order and made various mistakes, one of our party was given scampi instead of haddock and chips!

The food was mediocre at best. The service even worse. I would not recommend anyone to visit the plough, which is a shame as i had high hopes for it as we'd passed through for a drink earlier on in the day and I was impressed with the interior decoration. However the food service is what let it down.

However one of our group stayed at the plough for the full trip and had a pleasant room and good service. I believe the downfall in the plough is their food service

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were staying in the village and wished to eat out once. Decided on the Plough after walking in, in the morning and finding a good chalk board menu and warm welcome. Yes, it is a little dated - 18th century building, worn furniture and great atmosphere. If you want shiny then go elsewhere!
The meal was delicious -my salmon cooked to PERFECTION, crispy skin, moist fish and delicious sauce with tasty crayfish. Then whisky flavoured ice cream with a wee bit of porage oats - yummy! Wine choice was extremely limited but the ordinary white was as good as any I could buy for £7, and only cost £11. The cafetiere coffee was slightly disappointing - lacking flavour, but all in all - we recommend.