“super lunch”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hayfield B&B and Inns
knutsford
“super lunch”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

this is the second time we have visited the george for lunch. today having a drive through the peak district my wife reminded me of the meal we had in hayfield some months earlier, so we diverted to find the place and give it another visit. we were not disappointed. i had the special, liver and bacon casserole, mash and veg. i have never had a larger portion of casserole anywhere, and not only large, but very very tasty. my wife's rump steak was also excellent and the added bonus is that it is served with all the usual trimmings and fresh vegetables, what a sensible addition. why should steak always be served with only chips mushroom and tomato. also great value for money, really friendly and attentive staff, in a beautiful location. what more could you want.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had a pleasant 2 or 3 nights here. The room was a little pokey and a bit tired looking in places, but the food was good honest pub food and service was friendly. The location is great - the village is seemingly surrounded by Kinder Scout - and, of course, was the main location for the TV series 'The Village'

1 Thank Phil A
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We were visiting a friend in the high peak area and were looking to have a nice Sunday carvery and came across the George Hotel, although they didn't do a carvery they did have a roast beef dinner with yorkshires on the specials. The staff was very accommodating when we asked for a variation to the menu with two of our meals. The food was nicely served with a separate dish of vegetables with home made Yorkshire puddings and when my husband asked if he could have a couple more they were gladly brought to him. Their home made deserts were wonderful. The bar area has a lovely old worldly charm and the staff gave us a good friendly service, it is well worth a visit.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Saltash Cornwall
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Very nice atmosphere,friendly staff,no noise from pub,didn't hear a thing actually,missed a shower though,my husband had to use jug to rinse my hair.it would be more beneficial to have a shower put in than the jacuzzi which was very noisy and possibly mores expensive

Room Tip: Ask if room has a shower
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

A collegue and i stayed here for 1 night as we were working nearby, on the whole it was a very pleasurable experience the staff and landlady were very warm and welcoming. The rooms were cosy and very clean i had a good nights sleep ( that could be down to the guest cider at the bar).
If i were to pick any fault it would be the fact breakfast isn't served until 8.30am but that is no great hardship as the landlady put us a packed lunch together instead which was lovely. I would recommend to stay here its a lovely place in a lovely village.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
northeast england
Reviewed 9 August 2013

spent three nights here with my husband. It was a lovely little place, with lots of charm and character, staff were very helpful and friendly. And my husband who dosnt want big meals, was catered for very well with there being a light meals section. the prices were very reasonable. The village was charming, the locals very friendly, and the surrounding country side was spectacular..with lots of walks ets. would recommend to friends and family anytime...and the real ale went down well with my husband too...village was location of TVs the village as we were later told...

Room Tip: a few stairs wouldn't be good for anyone with problems getting up them....but it is a building f...
Pretoria
Reviewed 1 August 2013

One useful aspect of the George is that there is a separate door for guests so you can get in and out at all hours. I am an early riser when I am hill walking and I have stayed in places where rising early sets off a burglar alarm.

Less useful for an early riser are the creaky floorboards. You get worried about disturbing others when moving around at odd hours.

My room had no air conditioning, but was well ventilated by the windows. I arrived during a heatwave and was quite comfortable. Being able to sleep without the hum of an air conditioner is a relief. There is a radiator for cold nights.

My room didn't have a 2-pin socket, so my cellphone battery ran down. I didn't bring an adapter because the universal adapter that I bought plugs into a 2-pin socket and the George was the only hotel on this trip that didn't have a 2-pin socket.

They thoughtfully supplied skim milk with the tea and coffee set, but no sweetner. Diabetics, take your own.

The bathroom looks like a converted loft (more creaky floorboards!); don't expect modern facilities. That said, it was neat and well maintained.

I got thoroughly soaked on my first day out. The hotel doesn't offer a laundry service but there is one nearby that recycled my wet clothes into dry ones in two hours. In fact, the whole village is quite well supplied with shops, a post office, pharmacy and others (including the village chippy), so you can probably buy whatever you need.

The hotel is far enough from the main road to be quiet at night. The church bells peal at night but I can't say I was disturbed by them.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayfield
Travelodge Glossop
#2 of 5 in Birch Vale
Pack Horse Inn
Pack Horse Inn
#1 of 3 in New Mills

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!