All reviews the pub four poster bed sunny day church clock efficient service large car park central location real ale selection kids meals traditional decor fish and chips peak district pie lovely room full english excellent lunch porridge
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stopped off for lunch on Sunday - I had the scampi and chips and my other half had the beef roast. The staff were friendly and the food was ok - the scampi definately weren't home made and the chips weren't very hot. My partner's roast was nice but the beef was tough.

Good selection of ales, distinctly average food, but nice to sit in the sunshine with a beer after a long walk. We then went to the Pack Horse for a scone and oh boy, I wish I'd had my main course there, the food looked amazing and the scone was superb!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

Value for money it's a little tied in places but £60 for sat night incl a superb breakfast what more can you ask for .The
Wine and beer were also very reasonable
We will be staying again soon best wishes to all the staff

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My daughter booked a d/room for one night at this hotel !! It turned out the next day it was only a
single room , price £70 . the ceiling light had only one bulb in it , not possible to read in bed ,the room was cramped for two people .The worst aspect was however ,no hot water!! the excuse
we given, that the heating engineer did not switch the system on ,after servicing it .
the booking was for one night on the 15th of September for one night . My daugher
complained the next day ,but now 2 weeks later , no response . The breakfast was ok .

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect the room before moving in , as well as the water .
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank vitusvogl
Reviewed 17 September 2012

set in the beautiful picturesque village of Hayfield, the hotel is in a lovely setting next to the cricket pitch& pavilion & a running brook. I didnt read the reviews on this hotel until i have come home from it ready to write my own. We have stayed in Hayfield before but not in this hotel. You have to understand that this village is like going back in time, but for all of the right reasons - the hotel is, granted, a little "dated" but, do you know what, it really didnt matter. we had the suite at the front of the hotel - the rooms were massive and we had our own sitting room with television and coffee making facilities and 2 huge settees - the bedroom, again, large bed, plenty of wardrobe space and another huge chair. the ensuite facility was adequate for our needs.
The staff couldnt do enough for you - a couple of young girls checked us in and were in the bar when we ordered lunch - they saw to my request for an iron and ironing board without fuss or delay and it was waiting in my room for when we got back.
in the morning, we were greeted by, i'm assuming the owners, who again, were friendly and attentive - breakfast was brilliant and filling
they chatted to us outside for some time before we left and, we will have no hesitation in returning there - the £70 we paid for B&B was well worth the money.
some of the reviews on here dont do the place justice - yes, its a little worn, yes it could probably do with a refurb, but you'd lose the character of the place and the price would probably have to double overnight to cover the cost.
10/10 - cant wait to go back again - thanks to all there for making our trip so lovely.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tim_leannebirkin
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed 3 days with several friends
The staff and locals very friendly with lots of advice on which walking routes we're best to use.
The food was consistently good with an excelant choice of real ales.
The rooms we stayed in we're quiet and spacious but most of all comfortable.
This was my second visit in 12 months and would highly recommend to anybody.
Sightseers and walkers alike.
Mick L