“Accomodation review only”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hayfield B&B and Inns
Teramo, Italy
“Accomodation review only”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Having visited hayfield earlier in the year and attending a party at The Royal I really quite liked it. (See my previous review). So when I had reason to visit again, I decided to stay here. The reviews appeared mostly to be improving, with some terrible from earlier in the year but with new proprietors it looked like things were on the up.

I can also take some of the other negative comments with a pinch of salt, it is after all primarily a pub with a few letting rooms.

Even on this occasion the pub element was pretty good and they had a live jazz band playing some good tunes. Although when I asked for 3 teas at 21.30 the landlord said the machine was off and would take ages to heat up! I suggested he used the kettle from my room, and of course he then made the tea!

However, as soon as you pass the door to accommodation it all changes. We were running very late for a meeting with friends so literally dropped our bags and turned straight around to go out again so didn't really get to fully understand the room until going to bed later.

Let's start with the good - or rather what is a standard expectation in a hotel:
Reasonably comfortable bed, not new mattress but perfectly acceptable.
Very nice linen and towels, new, clean, white, felt good.
A HUGE plasma TV
Good size mugs for a cup of tea.

The bad - below standard for ANY letting room, in any country at any star rating.
The bathroom was archaic, a reviewer commented on this in January, the same room and apparently the owners had a grand plan to renovate, well it's late November and not a thing has changed - cracked sink, ruined bath panel, mouldy seals and grouting, a noisy sani flow loo even when not in use, old crinkling linoleum. (Photos attached) I'd rather have had a bathroom upgrade than a plasma TV. Really you can get a whole suite for £250 from B&Q!
The windows are so badly rotten they are soft.
The view from the bathroom is of a dumping ground at the back of the pub - a bit of frosted sheeting would work wonders.
A rather strange cable set up around the door frame.

So, not a great experience and not one I would recommend or repeat. I am not one to criticise easily, I may make suggestions occasionally but on this occasion my recommendation would be to simply rip out the bathroom and start again.

When we came downstairs they had prepared breakfast in a corner nook (we were the only guests) but the smell of bleach was so overpowering it actually hit the back of my throat, hence we declined and got a coffee on our travels instead.

On paying we chatted to a lady who I assume was Lisa the landlady, she was very pleasant, asked us about our onward journey but failed to ask how our stay had been. Had we been asked I would have replied as above.

£70 for this room was simply not good value, though to be honest had I appreciated the bathroom was still like this I simply wouldn't have booked, no mater what the price. You will notice the website doesn't show the accommodation, only the bar and food.

Room Tip: Ask to see updated photos first! I stayed in room 1 and it was not good.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gillandderek44
Lisa D, Owner at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback and sorry you didn’t feel able to raise these points in person when we were having a chat.

As you observe, we haven’t been long at The Royal Hotel (we celebrated our first birthday just last weekend) but in the intervening 12 months we have channeled all of our resources into renovating the entire ground floor public areas, creating new bar areas, a new Ramblers’ Bar, gents and ladies toilets, a new dining room and function space. In January we start on upgrading all 5 guest bedrooms upstairs, which as you’ve identified and we don’t deny is much needed. New furniture, carpets, bathrooms etc are already on order and we certainly aren’t opting for the quick-fix cheap solution proposed from B&Q!

The present standard of the bedrooms is such that we do not currently proactively promote them and try to manage expectations on our website where in the accommodation section we emphasis that rooms are clean and comfortable but in need of an update. That is also the reason why at the moment you won’t find us on any accommodation booking engines.

Our newly refurbished bedrooms are due to be ready by Spring 2014. Do come and try us out. We think you’ll be impressed!

With all good wishes

Lisa

Hayfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Groveland, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had the wonderful experience of staying at the Royal Hotel recently. The owners, Mark and Lisa, went out of their way to make our stay exceptional. The friendliness of the staff, the food, the wine, the wide selection of beers, the cleanliness of the room, the comfortable atmosphere, not to mention the beautiful countryside of the Peak District, all contributed to an experience that we will never forget and cannot wait to repeat.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Mansfield Woodhouse
Reviewed 30 September 2013

After a great mtb ride we walked into Hayfield to find some grub. There were loads of folks sat outside so thought it would be good. Real ale pints were superb. Food took a while to arrive and when placed in front of us looked a little skimpy for a £10 dinner? 2 wafer thin slices of beef, a yorkshire and 2 roasties on a plate with watery gravy. 1 small boat of carrots and beans arrived and we asked where the other 2 were? the reply was "is that not enough for all 3 of us"? WHAT!! there was barely enough for 1. What other veg are you serving? Sorry we have run out of cauliflower and broccoli now. WHAT! Well what are you going to supplement this £10 meal with then? The answer was 1 extra roastie each.....VERY disappointing. What we got was nothing more than a £5 dinner. The food that was supplied was good, but the lack of quantity, choice and service leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Lisa D, Owner at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Kev

I was sorry and surprised to read of your disappointment with your roast beef dinner when you visited us recently. We normally get very positive comments about our Sunday roasts. Your feedback is, however, helpful and I have spoken with Chef regarding the shortage of vegetables on this occasion and our inability to remedy the situation to your satisfaction.

We hope you will come and try us once again when you are next biking in the Hayfield area.

With best wishes

Lisa
London
Reviewed 17 September 2013

A really friendly hotel with lovely, welcoming staff. Great setting and nice historical building. Really good beer while I was there so perhaps the BadJelly reviewer was there on a particular off-day?

Good, modest restaurant. Pub food style but done well and really keenly priced. Had a couple of first-class steaks!!

Hotel rates really good value too. This is pretty much the perfect base for a walk of Kinder Scout and if you've not done that walk before then it cannot be recommended highly enough...

Room Tip: rooms at front are best. be aware that the church rings its bells but, personally, I don't exact...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I have seen The Royal do a full circle when 1st moving to Hayfield it was a popular pub, it then went down hill, well I am pleased to say it is now an excellent place to go. The new owners have given Hayfield village back a pub with a great welcoming atmosphere, delicious food and all at a reasonable price. My only request is when they have enough money in the pot, revamp the loos please- functional but decor is very outdated.
Great place to go and we will be visiting it more frequently from now on.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Bermuda70
Formby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Walking into Hayfield with a thirst upon me a sign pointed me to the cask ales of the Royal well before I got there. A nice big pub with one regular and 3 guest ales, none of which I had seen before; my excitement mounted. I asked the barman for some idea of the treats in store....."Well they're all pale ales, this one is the palest (pointing to the pump to the left and the Elder Skelter doesn't taste of elder either", I waited for more but nothing was forthcoming. Undaunted I went for the "most pale". For those of you unfamiliar with the description of beer as "like making love in a boat" I would suggest you Google it. A travesty of a pint served by yokel who would have been of more use to society in a stable employed by a landlord who keeps his cellar like one. Beer drinkers of the world AVOID! Oh and the toilets were smelly>

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisa D, Owner at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Bad Jelly

We are sorry to read of your disappointment with one of our real ales when you visited us recently. We do pride ourselves on our changing range of ales and take great care in the conditioning of them. We have 1 regular and 4 guest ales on at any one time, supporting breweries from all around the country. The current trend in demand seems to be for the paler ale. We have from time to time put on darker ales but always find more goes in wastage than through the pump, sadly. Our regional branch of CAMRA certainly enjoyed the selection on offer when they held their AGM here recently. We will, however, be putting on a wider selection of ales and ciders (40+ over three days), when we hold our 21st annual beer festival next month (11-13 October). Apologies you did not get much of an insight from one of our bar staff when you visited. They do their best to keep abreast of what’s on the pumps at any one time but as the ales change all the time it can sometimes be hard for them to do so. Regarding the gents’ loo, we do endeavor to inspect the customer toilets on a regular basis. However, this can be a challenge at very busy times. Thank you for your feedback. Please do be reassured we take our real ales very seriously indeed and hope you will come and try another pint soon.

With best wishes

Lisa & Mark
essex
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed just one night. Staff all seemed very friendly and helpful. Room was okay but not stunning, bathroom had definitely seen better days and the mould on the grout made it look as if it hadn't been cleaned in some time - although in reality it may have been clean, but just in need of replacement.
Dinner was okay, last orders were 8.30 as opposed to the information in the bedroom which said 9pm - this may have been the reason why some choices were 'unavailable'. Breakfast was good and hearty.
Overall not somewhere I would rush back to - but not a bad choice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simonc1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayfield
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
#2 of 2 in Hayfield
The Old Post Office
The Old Post Office
#4 of 5 in Birch Vale

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!