“Amazing food but at a cost”
Review of The Pack Horse

The Pack Horse
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Hayfield
Price range: US$11 - US$16
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Pack Horse in Hayfield, a traditional country pub with a cosy and contemporary atmosphere. We serve food all day every day with a menu that changes with the seasons. All our food is prepared fresh to order, and we work closely with our local suppliers to ensure you get the best quality that celebrates our amazing local and seasonal produce.
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Lovely but pricey for a walkers village. Good atmosphere but they kept fish in a massive wine glass, guessing they are dead now.

1  Thank Georgina B

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Visited with friends early in the new year. The place is always buzzing with friendly locals and walkers, car park always busy too so it has obviously become a destination place! Food was amazing as usual and service spot on - friendly and efficient but not over the top. My children had a burger and also mini fish and chips which were fabulous. I had a selection of sharing plates with friends .. yummy and great options for all day dining. The selection of desserts were fabulous to share too. The negative reviews are clearly from the competition as nothing in the area comes close !

packman1, General Manager at The Pack Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for your glowing review.
We work very hard to maintain the standards that our team have spent the last 4.5 years perfecting. It gives them such a boost to read reviews like yours and we look forward to you coming back to see us very soon!
One again,many thanks for the kind words and a huge salute from all of the team at The Packhorse!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My burger was clearly a barely cooked frozen patty that was an odd pink-grey colour. The chips were clearly cooked from frozen and had the taste of bad, stale oil. I felt the heartburn start from the first bite. While I enjoyed the bizzare decor-sort of a bankrupt 1980's gay disco meets shabby not so chic cafe, but I didn't like the finding chips of paint from the sticky tabletop embedded in my sweater. The waiters were friendly enough but left us waiting for far too long in a barely populated restaurant. They might have been distracted by the pack of loud, idiotic blokes at the bar who ruined half the meal with their unchecked shouting and proceeded to steal some poor old man's mobility scooter when they finally left. The aforementioned man clearly had a lung condition and seemed to be slowly dying in a corner. All in all, it was tragedy and comedy both and for this I'm impressed. But the food I ate was horrible.

10  Thank Jenny D
packman1, General Manager at The Pack Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Madam. we are so sorry about your review, and the experience you had at the Pack Horse on Sunday the 26/01/14. Unfortunately it is impossible to please everyone however we find your description of the premises slightly rude (although imaginatively described - have you been to one?) and as for the poor gentleman at the bar you referred to, he is terminally ill, has lived in Hayfield all of his life and we are trying to make what little time he has left as enjoyable as we can ! Would you suggest that we bar such a member of the community on the grounds that he does not look or sound well? I can only apologize for the younger members of the village who appeared to be making a high spirited disruption but after one drink they left as instructed by our staff who are trained not to encourage such behaviour.
Regarding your comments about your food , our burgers are hand pressed from local Kinder beef and our manager said you ate over three quarters so we are slightly baffled. Our chips are hand cut and twice fried. All of our food is freshly sourced and prepared on a daily basis by a team of highly qualified and experienced chefs. A lot of time and determination goes into the Pack Horse, greatly shown by the loyalty of a team of staff that have been with us since opening day almost five years ago.
I hope that you feel that you will,if in the area, give us a second chance as clearly, Sunday night was extraordinary!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Small portion of mixed platter for four people,very salty steak pie,obviously frozen fish with soggy batter,two bottles of wine on the wine list which weren't available,I could go on and on.We have been to the Packhorse several times but won't be going again.

11  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Our table, which we booked in advance, was tucked away in an alcove near the front of the open plan interior. White paint and mirrors added an unusual rather tasteful ambience. So as we felt separate from others in the place, we could at least all look at our own reflections from various angles. The home made minted pea soup, I was assured by my guests, was excellent. My starter was goats cheese and smoked salmon bruschetta and delicious as it was, I think it was actually cheddar cheese but I liked it anyway with its beautifully fresh and well dressed bed of rocket leaves. Good idea that you can order smaller size mains which means you can enjoy starters too without fear of being over faced. My main was sausage and mash. The sausages were slightly tough and chewy but all right. Presentation was very good, elevated from common pub fare and certainly a lot of thought and effort has gone into creating an unusual, creative interior and good pub food. One of my party had lamb and declared it the best he'd ever had. The bill for 4 people for two courses each including 4 drinks and one good coffee was just under 60 quid. I'd go again and a stroll around the village or a more serious walk in the surrounding gorgeous countryside is also highly recommended.