“Excellent food”

Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Hayfield
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Ate here twice whilst we stopped at the nearby campsite. What a find. Good attentive service. Good beer and wine. The food is excellent they have a standard menu with the usual burgers and curry’s however I ate off the specials menu twice it was excellent. The rack of lamb was cooked well leaving it tender and succulent. I understand it is local meat which just adds to the meal. The vegetables provide were lovely and there was an offer to provide more if we required. I also had the pork saltimbuco which again was excellent.
It is a popular place so get there early or book a table

1  Thank nottinghamnikki

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Meat pie was exceptional. Malteaser cheesecake was lush. I was impressed with the service and the ambience. It’s well worth a visit. I wholeheartedly recommend.

1  Thank Picklethecat
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We had visited for drinks twice prior to us eating at The Sportsman. Comfortable, friendly pub with good service and good beer. We booked a table due to its popularity. We had the Sunday dinner choice of beef or lamb. I ordered the cheese pie with new potatoes and vegetables instead of chips and baked beans. The pie was very tasty. The first dish of vegetables barely served two so we asked for another dish which was smaller than the first dish. The vegetables were excellent. The plate with the roasts were tepid causing the gravy and Yorkshire’s to go cold. The lamb was ok but the beef really needed a steak knife to cut it and was a bit fatty. The gravy was tasty.

2  Thank VanessaRoad
Reviewed 11 May 2018

Its been a while since we ate here so we were really looking forward to it and were not disappointed, from the minute we arrived until the moment we left it was obvious our custom was highly appreciated and all the staff just couldn't do enough to ensure we had a great experience so much credit and thanks to them.
In terms of the menu we were spoilt for choice but all 4 of us were 100% satisfied with our choices and left feeling rather full as the portions are extremely generous. Happy to recommend, compliments to all.

1  Thank cook1e
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Went for a meal on Friday, called ahead to book. Being celiac I always struggle to find nice things to eat and sometimes a pub that understands this condition. What can I say the staff were fabulous ensuring I could have the meal I wanted and making sure I enjoyed it. A refreshing change and great atmosphere will definitely be back...

1  Thank TinaLaw1234