“"Charming"”
Review of The Bulls Head Inn

The Bulls Head Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hayfield
The Bulls Head Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hayfield B&B and Inns
Gloucester
“"Charming"”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

A warm welcome awaited my Mother,my 9 year old daughter and myself upon arrival at the bulls head inn. A Friendly, helpful and polite young lady gave us all the information we needed to enjoy our first day at alton towers. The room was clean and comfortable and had all the facilities one would expect from a country b&b. It is important to remember that this accomidation is situated over a pub, and one is bound to experience some late night revalry from the locals who frequent it. This is however in no way excessive, just something to bear in mind. The breakfast on both mornings of our stay was delicious and pleantiful. If you want 5* luxury this is not the place for you, if however you want affordable comfort, a homely atmosphere, good home cooking and excellent service, you really cant go wrong. We had a wonderful time. Thank you to all the lovely staff and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Biddulph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I ate at the Bull's Head Inn with my daughter last night and would definitely go again. Our only disappointment was that we didn't have time to sample one of their delicious sounding desserts, priced at only £2.95, as we were attending a ghost hunt at nearby Alton Towers (3 minutes drive away). The restaurant was very busy so I would recommend booking a table. It is full of character, as is the rest of the pub, and beautifully set out in a room separate to the bar area.

I chose the handmade cheeseburger which was served on a farmhouse bap with crispy onion rings, extremely tasty chips and a lovely side salad. My daughter had a pasta dish with mushrooms and goats cheese. This was also accompanied by ciabatta garlic bread and she said it had been a good choice.

Even though they were rushed off their feet, the staff were, at all times, efficient and friendly. A lovely meal at a very reasonable price which set us up nicely for a night of ghost hunting! I would recommend this inn without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Relaxed33
dover
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just had two days at the bull and had a great time beds comfortable very good stay

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank colin r
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

went here for a birthday weekend with friends and my boyfriend. 3 rooms in total each with 2 people sleeping in them. The location was good as was the price for 2 nights. The bedrooms were very old fashioned, the beds uncomfortable and the sheets very worn. We did manage to sleep and enjoy going to the theme park, the only issue i had was a huge bruise on my leg from a protruding spring in the bed.The food was ok, a cheap fry up. They done nothing to annoy us or make us upset just think they need to spend a little bit of their profits to renivate the bedrooms and bathrooms to make it a bit more popular

Room Tip: Spend a bit more money and choose somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I chose this place because we were coming back from a day at Alton Towers. I booked it three weeks in advance, it was chosen becuse of the Proximity and because they had a nice looking restaurant where after a long day we could have a nice meal and a couple of drinks. I checked if the restaurent was open and he said of "course it is you're speaking to the Chef".

We got there after a long day only to be told they dont serve food on a monday! They advised us of a pub down the road should only be 10min walk...it was 20min UPHILL! After returning from a lovely dinner (the blacksmiths) we had a few drinks in the Bar at the Bulls then went to get cigarettes at another pub as they didnt serve them. We came back at 11.30pm only to fine we'd been compleatly locked out!!! We had to pay and stay at another pub nearby! Lets just say we arrived back in the morning not at all happy.

I managed to get my money back but there was no apology, just excuses and to be honest making out we were in the wrong. You could say we just had a run of bad luck but i wouldnt stay again. I felt like they didnt care and i'm suprised with their attitude, they're still open!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marieg82
Nikki38
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Absolute life saver hotel, got stuck in heavy snow, after half a mile walk to the hotel we were met with superb service and friendliness x thanks so much for the staff for making us so welcome at a moments notice. Even finding me a hair dryer to dry my wet hair was no trouble. Lovely food, excellent service and i was even provided with a pair of wellies to trudge back to my car in this morning. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!!!! will definately stay again under better circumstances x

Ps, we did knock on the Alton Bridge hotel at the bottom of the back after getting stuck in mad snow ....no answer at the door even though their lights were on upstairs!!! shame on you!!!!.....however i did laugh this morning when you couldn't get your cars out and we had help...Karma!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
surrey
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My fiance and I have been fortunate enough to travel quite a bit, staying in hostels and b&bs around the world and I have to say this has to be one of, if not the worst places we have ever stayed!
We required a room due to a friend having a wedding at Alton castle, a short walk from this pub. It was £69 room only!!! Not even a continental breakfast was provided. We checked inn with my brother and his wife. The staff were rude and unhelpful and went onto explain that there was one quiet room and one noisy room and asked us to effectively 'toss a coin' to choose who would get which room. I'm not quite sure what room Southend55 stayed in!!? but my family booked three rooms in this place, all of a very low standard. The mold on the ceiling in the bathroom was very much the least of our problems as when we arrived back from the wedding we opened the door into a wall of stifling heat. The heater in the room was on maximum and I'm guessing had been for some time. This meant we had an awful nights sleep as the room was unbearably hot til the early hours of the morning. As we left in the morning the three members of staff stood around the bar couldn't even be bothered to say good morning. The icing on the cake was the fire alarm going off at around 3am in the morning. If you know what's good for you..Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maccaSurrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayfield
Premier Inn Buxton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Hayfield
The Kinder Lodge
The Kinder Lodge
#2 of 2 in Hayfield

Been to The Bulls Head Inn? Share your experiences!