“Theft from room”
Review of Kahama Hotel

Kahama Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
Reviewed 29 January 2014

They charge extra to use the room safe. My camera was stolen from my room.

I asked them about this, and they said that they would check their security cameras and I left my phone number. I got no phone call, so I emailed them after returning from my trip.

They followed up to say they checked the security cameras, and no one entered my room. However, my laundry was dropped off so that was definitely not true. I understand if they weren't able to recover the camera, but don't lie to me about it.

Other than that the breakfast wasn't great; it was about an average continental breakfast. You can get room service from the pub next door (same business, I think) which is decent. The staff was friendly excepting the one that took my camera and the one that lied to me about checking the cameras.

The hotel doesn't have access to the beach directly, but you can go down a path and get there. The pub can be loud at night, especially since the rooms don't have sealed windows (some of the windows just have wooden blinds).

No internet access except at their computer (and I wouldn't trust it), but you can get a local sim card with data service for about $15 and the service is better than any hotel internet I found.

The shower was pretty ancient but worked fine, and the rest of the room was fairly new.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Stagnate

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my family for a week and it was great ill definitely come back friendly staff few steps from the ocean close to town and a short walking distance from the road if you use matatu Munzuri Sana

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank boggiebenda
Reviewed 26 January 2014

For being incredibly close to Bamburi beach this place is a great deal! Rooms are big and nicely furnished. The ac is good, internet throughout, and everything is quite clean. The walk to the beach is short and easy. The pool is a welcome treat, especially during the hottest part of the day, because there's some shade and poolside wait service. Staff was extremely helpful throughout our stay. We ate dinner at the restaurant a few times and were not disappointed there either. Overall this place is great.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

My first time being here and quite frankly I wanted to check it out based on the positive reviews on Trip Advisor.
Pros:
Great location,amazing sports bar,clean rooms,hassle free swimming pool and great space.

Cons:
There was no safe in the room even though the brochure said the rooms have one, no pressing of clothes service after 6pm; it seems staff are too busy to leave early enough once their shift is done. Also, a little bit of courtesy from staff would be appreciated since they are working in the hospitality industry especially the room stewards.
The tea we had ordered had been prepared with salty water.Luckily it was rectified by the supervisor.

Other than that,I had an amazing time.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fwawesh
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I always choose Kahama when I come to Mombasa for business. The rooms are very pleasant, service good and the staff very pleasant. Breakfast is always delightful - the restaurant by the pool is very attractive and peaceful and the wait staff always attentive. The best thing about this hotel is the staff, and the ambiance it has. When you have long stays (as I have done before) they accommodate all needs and go out of the way to make you feel comfortable. Housekeeping do a good job and the room is pleasant to come back to after a long hot day in the sun. I do wish though that they could have a small tea station in the room in case you may want an evening cup of something without having to call room service for it. Other than that I recommend it to anyone who wants to come to Mombasa for anything...and the sportsbar right outside your room is a definite bonus...all in one holiday :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LocalTraveller254
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed in one of the apartments and it was everything we could have wished for - clean, comfy, beautiful decorations and so much space and all at a very good price - have stayed in a more up market hotel on previous visits but would only ever stay here in future. House keeping was the best I've come across on my travels. Breakfast had everything we wanted - we learnt to keep an eye on out fruit after a monkey stole our banana! Special mention to Ursula who served our breakfast - she was so lovely to us and made every meal enjoyable. Front desk staff were very helpful especially Edgar. Pool was lovely, we had friends come and visit us and just had to pay a little amount for them to use the facilities. Safety at the hotel was good - Gate staff were vigilant and very friendly. Location is great, just a short, interesting walk to the beach which was lovely - a lot of locals selling stuff on the beach and they may seem pushy but we got to know them well (bartering was great fun!) and they are only trying to make a living in bad economic times so give them a chance. We spent most evenings at the sports bar which had so many different screens - even in the rest rooms! Food was good but extremely slow so only ate there a couple of times.

Only a couple of negatives about the hotel which were that you couldn't charge anything to your room and pay on checkout (ATM at Barclays Bank a short walk away was useful because of this) and we were only given 1 room key and there were three of us staying and you had to have the key card to use the air con - never stayed anywhere before where not given 2 keys.

All in all a fantastic hotel, especially for the price and we will be back next year.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2013

From the warm welcome by real Maasai and breathtaking rooms(they are exactly as they look in their web page),to a restaurant with delicious meals and a very beautiful pool.What more can you ask for when you get to be entertained by a Live band at the sports bar with cool music.The waitress serving at the restaurant and during breakfast were really friendly and one particular Caroline made all our meals enjoyable by always serving us with a big smile.My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Kahama and will surely be back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms at Kahama Hotel are really spacious and very beautiful.you will never go wrong by choosing...