“Wedding Day”

Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed at the hotel in February 2011 as our daughter got married there. She had been in contact with the hotel months before the wedding asking if they can do what she wanted, so by the time we arrived everyone knew who we were, the hotel and the food was fantastic, we had been to Kenya many times and knew what to expect, but husband tobe and his parents it was the first time, they loved it. My daughter had asked for a pagoda archway they took her to choose her own, on the day of the wedding everyone helped get the chosen area ready pink silk was wrapped around the trees white cotton sheets and more flowers than we could even imagine, most of the staff came to wish them well we had music, wine and cake we could not of asked for anything at all. They made her day perfect.The photo's were fabulous with the blue sky and the ocean in the background, much better than a dull day in machester.

Room Tip: we had an ocean room so she did not have far to walk to her wedding spot.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k r
There are newer reviews for Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Exceptional !! from every aspect. Having had the experience of staying at the hotel in the 80's, 90's, 2005 and most recently in October 2011 with my young family, the hotel is still a favorite of mine when visiting Mombasa.
Due to the fact that we were traveling with two young kids (4 and 1.5) I contacted the hotel prior to my arrival to organize a ground floor room. From my first contact, the GM Mohammed and his staff were very professional and very accomodating to assist in the organization of the holiday.
Upon arrival at the hotel, we had a very warm welcome. We were simply asked to wait for a few minutes in the lounge and were welcomed by the Head of Reception on the day (Jayne). The reception staff organized the room and everything was prepared for our arrival. To our surprise we were given one of the newly designed (ocean view) rooms which I must say are very well done. Everything about the new design of the rooms / bathrooms simply made our stay even more enjoyable. I must commend the hotel on the new rooms and can assure that with the changes being made White Sands will remain one the best hotels on the Mombasa Coast for sometime.
A very special thanks to all the staff who made our holiday so enjoyable. The kids loved every minute of it and were always in the hearts of all the staff. The child friendly approach is something that will definitely attract us to go back. The staff at the reception, restaurants, pool and kids club were great and the service was 5 star.
Food was great, staying half board, the impressive and memorable buffet breakfasts were more than enough to take us through to dinner where there was always an excellent selection of food even for my wife a vegetarian.
White Sands complex is laid out in a beautiful setting and with ample room for kids to enjoy as well as of the adults to relax in peace.
Having stayed at several other hotels on the Mombasa coast, White Sands definitely stands out as one of the best and if traveling with young children, I think this hotel offers the best overall package on the North coast to ensure your kids have a great holiday.
To all that have made comments on the condition of the rooms but have enjoyed the other aspects of the hotel, the new rooms will truly make a big difference on your next visit to the hotel.
A very big thanks again to Mohammed, Hilda, Jayne and all the other staff. You really made it an enjoyable family holiday and we hope to be back soon....ASANTE SANA
Derek and the family

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank dsm_1277
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Having just returned from my third stay in six years at Whitesands, and having read my last review of Dec 2009 I relaise I need to add more detail. As previous visits, Whitesands is pretty good in most areas.. exceptions being the check in and check out procedures and room standards which are dropping.

The Hotel is showing its age now and the guest rooms in particular are in need of a refresh. At the prices the Sarova Group charge scruffy and tired bathrooms are not acceptable. I also stayed at the Baobab Hotel for a few days about 1km away, rooms are half the price and facilites more basic but the rooms not much different, however the food cany compete wit Whitesands.

Checking in and out procedures are very slow and the management need to pull thier socks up. It may be Africa but expecting your guests to queue up for up to an hour and a half at 11pm at night is unacceptable anywhere. To leave the hotel one must queue to be cleared to leave once your bill has been settled and then recieve two exit passes. The first is taken by the doorman who will allow you to depart the lobby, the second has to be submitted to gate security.....it can feel unfriendly and somewaht simillar to leaving prison I imagine!

Room Tip: for quite get a room near the Spa....room numbers starting with 1 are ground floor, 2 first and thre...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Tim_Ashton
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Just back from 10 day stay at Whitesands booked through Virgin Holidays had good and bad experiances will start with the good, the hotel staff were very good ,the food was very good the ground/pools great , dining areas/hotel lobby etc. great.
now the bad ,the rooms were well past their best ,the first room we were given with a sea view (which we paid extra for)was terrible ,no net,patio doors that did not lock ,cupboard doors warped and would not close , paint and plaster peeling of the walls ,green mould in the corners ,dampness smell throughout the room.
the only other bad point of the whole trip was the Virgin Rep. did not see him until the last day and then I had to have the hotel staff track him down as I had no way of contacting him for our departure details. once I did meet him he was rude ,aggresive and very unhelpful, I will take that up with Virgin.
On the whole good relaxing holiday by the pool in beautiful surroundings. ps take plenty deet as mosquitos are plentiful.

Room Tip: stay back from the seafront rooms as there is refurbishment ongoing (slowly) which can be a bit nois...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sandyM84
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have stayed in this Sarova property before. I love the location - its central to other activities on the beach, the food is good - there's a nice selection for breakfast and dinner, and the service is typically good. This time, I felt the service was slow - like everyone wasn't fully there. I don't know if it was because I was a party of one (ie alone) or what, but it took longer to check in, to get a drink at dinner, etc. I am not sure why, I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I was thinking about giving another place a chance in Mombasa, but I stuck with whitesands, next time I will have to see whether all places are like this.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank sp221
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We went here for four days of our honeymoon and loved almost everything. The wide spread beach, the restaurants(esp the sea food restaurant by the beach), the well maintained compounds and all. The food wasn't the best in the main restaurant maybe due to the large number of clients they needed to feed but the a la carte meals were perfect! The staff were extremely helpful and friendly esp Joseph in the ala carte restaurant, Angela the guest relations, 2nice ladies at the tulia spa, and our room attendant (rm 2049 or something like that close to the spa). We hope to go back there for our first anniversary next year. The rooms need abit of renovations as they are abit rusty but still comfortable. And lest i forget, thank you to all the staff for making our honeymoon memorable!! The cake, wine, fruits and special touch by the management to our stay was awesome!!!

Room Tip: The silent zone will give you the privacy and tranquility you may need, but insist on rooms with bal...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I woke up in the middle of the night by a noise, and found myself suffocating by ammonia filling up the room. Gasping for air, eyes stinging, I struggled to get out of bed and thought there must be an attack of some sort. I went outside and all was calm and I could start breathing again. I could not go back to the room because of the toxic smell and lack of air. I went to the reception in my pjs, asked for maintenance and was told they won't be available till the morning. I insisted saying I cannot go back to the room, and got someone to come over with me. He too, could not go into the room. They told me to sleep somewhere else and come back in the morning. I had an early meeting, so I asked whether it will be fixed by the morning, and they said no, they will start fixing in the morning. I had all my stuff in the room so how do they reason I can come back to the same room in the same condition and get ready for work?? Besides, I didn't feel safe leaving all my stuff there.

I must say I am shocked by this poor service and treatment, and the lack of safety. What would have happened if I didn't wake up in time? I could have suffocated to death. I was later told it was the fridge compressor or something. The rooms are old and furnitures need replacement, including the phone that smells like laundry and fridge that leaks gas. I feel there is much injustice here where the lobbies look lovely but the rooms are outdated and unsafe, and the attitudes of the staff stink!

The cookies in the room were stale and old. They thought I wouldn't notice details| Internet which they charge ridiculous price for does not work most of the time, the mosquito net does not go all the way around the bed, and the power in the entire hotel goes out every couple hours especially in the evenings. I don't know how people could think this is a good hotel. Do I have unrealistic expectation??? I feel like I should do something, but what?

Room Tip: I woke up in the middle of the night by a noise, and found myself suffocating by ammonia filling up...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank K P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburi
Severin Sea Lodge
Ziwa Beach Resort
Ziwa Beach Resort
#8 of 14 in Bamburi
Nyali International Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!