“Excellent place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travellers Beach Hotel & Club

Travellers Beach Hotel & Club
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
London
“Excellent place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed all inclusive at the Travellers Beach Hotel for ten days after a wonderful four day Safari in the Masai Mara National Reserve with Somak. We found the Hotel to be first class in every way, the environment was beautiful, the service from the staff was outstanding, they went out of their way to provide everything you could possibly need. We would like to say thank you and especially mention, firstly, Bridget in the reception who went out of her way to help us and is also full of information about Kenya and the localities, it was through her and our tour rep that we made a visit to the Tumaini children's home. Secondly the Chefs, Hussein and Violet in the restaurant who all ensured we had top service at mealtimes and who served with first class professionalism. The Buffet has an excellent choice, the food is A'la Carte and is superb, the snacks from the pool bar are good and tasty too a big thank you to Helen for the excellent service for our snacks and drinks.
The room says standard but it was top standard, Alex our room attendant ensured we had enough coffee for our caffeine addiction and kept our room spotlessly clean.

The beach is beautiful, and the beach bar on the half board side is beautiful to sit and chill at, they serve an awesome fruit cocktail, there are lots of beach traders on the beach who always want to give 'special' price if you are up for, and enjoy the game of bartering. Some reviews say they are a nuisance, this depends on how you see it and what you want from it, sometimes it did feel too much to go on the beach and be hassled, (then don't go!) other times it was a highly enjoyable social and trading experience, the traders are easily controllable and will leave if you say your not doing business today, or no money! some are very interesting to talk to, they all have a story to tell and are also interested in you.

We would recommend going on the following activities and trips: the day trip to Mombasa, the Malindi wood carving village and Fort Jesus is fascinating. The Marina Dhow Day Trip was excellent as was dinner in the evening on The Tamarind Dhow. The Baracuda Diving and most definitely a visit to Tumani children's home.

We really enjoyed our stay here, we made good holiday friends and will definatly be returning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniela O
TBHMSA, General Manager at Travellers Beach Hotel & Club, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Daniela,
It was such a pleasure to read your valuable comments after your last stay with us. We thank you for your recognition of all the hard work put in by my team in ensuring that every single guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

I am delighted to learn that you not only experienced a very high level of friendly and professional service but also enjoyed the variety of food and beverage offered in our Hotel. I have shared your compliments with my Team Members.

It will always be our pleasure to welcome you back again. Should you need any assistance in respect to your future stay, please feel free to reach me at gm@travellershtl.com

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
KISUMU
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

i have been a frequent visitor to travellers hotel. what really touched this time was the much improvement done to the rooms and totally improved public and customer relationship. the cleanliness at the entire compound is to the standard of such hotel. personally i appreciate you dedicated staffs.they are really wonderfully. may the almighty God continue giving you strength to serve the community. you are really doing Kenya proud from the talks i had with may fellow visitors

Room Tip: rooms towards the ocean are quite and have a nice breeze at night
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TBHMSA, General Manager at Travellers Beach Hotel & Club, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Tobias,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

A very good place to stay. The furniture is quite "traditional" and gives a 60's impression. Good new mattress and bed sheets. The bath/shower room has a fair water pressure.
The facilities are really good, well manteined. There are 2 sides of the hotel thought, at one side apparently stays who is not full board, the oldest side but more reserved.
Although is announced Sauna, massage room etc on the facilities, apart of the pool, everything else is charged.
The breakfast is really good, plenty and with a large variety, after a while you just get bored, so I would recommend not stay on the full board which will give a opportunity to explore the city and new restaurants as they have reasonable prices.
The staff is very kind, must consider the cultural shock!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the old side are more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TBHMSA, General Manager at Travellers Beach Hotel & Club, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Merciogot,

kampala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

we stayed there in july, the restaurant, the food, the ambience are all cool. since the beach isn't private you will find many beach boys, craft sellers...but as long as you do not entertain them you can continue enjoying the beach uninterrupted. do not leave your doors open-hey monkeys are watching you and may pick your stuff from the room........at the reception, we enquired about a trip to malindi............this guy at the counter was quick to organize it at the cheapest 15000 kshs! but I saw on their notice board less than that......then I called another contact I had and this guy tells me 10,000 in a saloon car with aircondition including driver.......I go back to the reception and say no its ok cos ive got a better rate else where and this guy insists no give me business....at 8000 khs...I asked the kind of car/ aircondition/good driver..........but believe me when the car came it was a ramshackled car.....no ac, the malindi trip was so tiresome. on the nxt day our flight was at 3pm so we asked if they cud keep our luggage after the check out time and the same guy says at a fee, but we chose to move out with our luggage.......if you choose to stay at travelers, please do not be persuaded by men at the reception. he is a brown,not very tall, a bit elderly man.

Room Tip: choose rooms away from the bar by the pool cos at night the music tends to get louder
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shp_12
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the variety of food and beverage offered in our Hotel in addition, the ambience as well.
The management team has taken all your comments seriously and corrective measures to the concerns that you have raised. I am also happy to inform you that the issues raised have been addressed as at now.
This is to re-assure you that we do take all feedback positively and we take necessary measures to the related concerns to ensure that you enjoy your holiday with us in your next visits.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here with my wife for 1 night. The room was nice. It seems like a very long thin hotel. The food was OK. My wife was particularly keen on it compared to another hotel we go to. I was told check out in the morning would be fast... it wasn't. A very confused cashier who seems to have been up all night. African grey parrott was wheeled out in the morning and his cage was crawling with roaches! That says something about care for the bird and cleanliness behind the scenes. Staff member offered to spray the cage with Doom. Not sure that's good for the parrott! On the whole it was OK... I think aimed towards an old clientèle.
We left too early to see what full breakfast was like... but the continental was a bit sparse.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the variety of food and beverage offered in our Hotel.

Larvik
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at the half board side for 4 days with a three year old and grandmother.

The grounds at Travellers are wonderful and beautifully kept. The poolarea and next to the beach the same. It is peaceful and green all over. For people not fond of sometimes aggressive monkey, bevare: they are plentyful and cheeky!
The staff are very helpful, but they mix up orders and in our room they took our towels and kept them the whole day before returning them.
There are free towels at the poolside so not a big problem..

Food at dinner and breakfast was very good with different things every day.
DInner was a bit late for a family with a small child starting at 19.30, but it was plenty of room and quick service.

The beachboys where a small problem at first, but use 15 minutes with one of them and learn his name and seem interested.. After that you refer to him if anybody else comes up to you and say you have a deal with him :)

All in all a great stay with a few hickups that without could have made the perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TBHMSA, General Manager at Travellers Beach Hotel & Club, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear larvik,

I am delighted to learn that you not only experienced a very high level of friendly and professional service but also enjoyed the variety of food and beverage offered in our Hotel. The management team has taken all your comments seriously and will take the corrective measures to improve on all the concerns that you have raised. I am also happy to inform you that a lot of the issues that you raised have been addressed as at now.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Currently still here, well on arrival I thought the hotel looked a little tired, with the odd stain and leaves in the pool .. however this was in the afternoon and it was windy. The following morning the whole place was being swept and cleaned and after a little initial disappointment became very pleased with the hotel. Food choice for some could be considered limited, its a buffet and every meal so far we have enjoyed with no problems. The rooms are quite spacous with a good bath cross shower with an enless supply of very hot water. we have a sea view with very capable air conditioning which we now turn off at night just because we were getting cold at 22 deg. it is a quiet, relaxed atmosphere with free entertainment from 9.30 each night which ends around 11.30 give or take 15 minutes and there are activities in and around the pools daily. The real winner though are the staff, they are always smiling, welcoming, offering their  services, saying hello ( jambo ) and do not expect a tip although we will tip at the end as we have been well treated.
The DOWNSIDE ... is the tourist sharks on the beach. Be warned ... these people will try their hardest to seperate you from your money. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING unless you consider yourself the champion of bargaining and visit the hotel gift shop first to give yourself a guide for prices. Example .. a wood elephant keyring with your name carved into it, gift shop price 300. Beach price after a good haggle 700. They try anything to keep the price as high as possible and the goods may not even be made of what they claim ( plain wood stained when claimed to be ebony ). The moment you set foot off hotel grounds onto the beach they approach, although they are very patient and polite they are also very persistant. They will walk with you along the beach for hundreds of meters and first time it's quite nice but wears off very quickly.
A trick another guest suggested, but was too late for us, was that when your approached for the first time by these vultures is to simply claim that this is not your first visit, you were here last year and you have got all the souvineer crap (paintings, carvings etc) and your not buying anymore and all your trips have been prebooked with your tour operator. They will still try but stick to your story, don't talk money, claim you can't remember and they will finally piss off.
Now the beach will become yours to enjoy at least outside your hotel. The beach is nice, some seaweed marks the high tide line and the sand is more like fine powder than sand. The sea stays shallow out for at least 100M so because of this the water is as warm as the hotel pool but when the tide is low it's more like weston super mare
The hotel has several pools some of which are linked, the pools are lovely and spacious and vary in depth to suit all. Sun beds are widely available poolside or under the palmtrees at the hotel boundry with the beach but not on the beach. The sun is strong and the constant sea breeze is most welcome so cream up or your burnt in 20 minutes.
Apart from the trips you can book through the rep ( or the beach sharks if your feeling brave ) there is very little to do near the hotel. The halla park near is a nice half day out, a taxi will pick you up, take you, wait for as long as you want, then return you for 1500 and we didn't even haggle. Then just your entrance fee.
Final conclusions ... Thoughly nice time in the hotel and on the trips especially safari, the beach and sea are lovely spoilt by the beach boys or beach sharks as I prefer to call them. Far more german guests than english and I have felt very lazy as some of them have been so friendly and always spoken in english. This hotel is very quiet and relaxing but after a safari I found the slow pace difficult to adjust to initially but not a problem now

Room Tip: The rooms are on 3 levels and I recommend the middle level or floor 1
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ian j
Dear Ian,

I am delighted to learn that you not only experienced a very high level of friendly and professional service but also enjoyed the variety of entertainments,food and beverage offered in our Hotel. The management team has taken all your comments seriously and will take the corrective measures to improve on all the concerns that you have raised. I am also happy to inform you that a lot of the issues that you raised have been addressed as at now.

GENERAL MANAGER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburi
Severin Sea Lodge
Voyager Beach Resort
Voyager Beach Resort
#1 of 59 in Mombasa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,871 reviews

Been to Travellers Beach Hotel & Club? Share your experiences!