“Ghost hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Plaza Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bamburi
“Ghost hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We were there in August 2011 and we were astonished to discover that we were the only guests in the whole hotel, for the next 4 days we had the whole hotel literally to yourself (family of 4). We would take breakfast and dinner in the big dinning room all by ourselves apart from staff .. the management should market this hotel aggressively an make sure its full most of the times as its boring 2 find urself in a ghost hotel. Otherwise the staff are friendly and the rooms r great apart from that old fridge. I can recommend it only if they can get at least 50% bookings.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank smunga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Eastbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2010

The hotel is an enigma to me. The hotel itself is very spacious with lovely surroundings, great rooms with quiet and effecient air conditioning, good views and very friendly staff. Yet I was there just before Christmas2010, when most hotels were full, yet the Plaza was operating on about one third capacity! I will not claim it is a five star hotel, but it was excellent value, attentive and good service and good food.
I do not recognise some of the previous reviews, unless the hotel has had its refurbishment.
Somehow I am left with the feeling the Plaza is under achieving and needs to be promoting itself more. .
There are many things within easy reach which are good value experiences. Do not be put off by the beach boys, just be firm and polite, barter for a glass bottom boat trip and enjoy the beach, a good value hotel and most of all Kenya and it's people

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Ram200
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

My friends and I were coming to Mombasa and did not have prior reservations. It was very difficult to find a room on a beach hotel during the end of November. The taxi driver recommend this place and I looked on tripadvisor mobile and read the reviews and stopped to check it out. I was surprised that it was a nice lobby and asked to see what rooms were available. We were shown a couple of rooms seemed quite a bit of room and clean. We stayed and enjoyed our stay. The front desk people were very nice. The rooms had air cond. and that was great. I did not check out the refrig - since I had no reason to use it. It is in a nice location on the beach and walking distance to restaurants on the beach.

We had rooms with a balcony and ocean view.

It was a good stay and found it to be at a more reasonable price than many of the hotels in the same location. The pool was average and they provide towels. We enjoyed the pool bar for beers and drinks.

We did not eat at the hotel for breakfast. We drove about 15 to the beach nightlife - ended up at Club Lambada.

It is not upscale but not a dive hotel. I have attached a video.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank surfcali
Bonn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

The hotel is located very good. You can easily reach many good restauarants (i did not try the food in the hotel) by feet. Mombasa is 30 min. by bus from the hotel. They have many plants and a big pool. You feel like beeing in an oasis. There were some monkeys in the trees. The rooms are big and clean, except the dirty refrigerator. The bathrooms are very nice. The Air Condition was not working properly when i came, but they repaired it within 24 hours. After that it was cooling very good and silent. There was some animation, which was a little bit amateur-style, but i am not interested in animation. I want to see the country. The service was very friendly, as it is in most of kenyas hotels. They gave me internet access at the lobby for free. I liked the hotel. It is not a high class hotel, but it has a good standard. Next time i would go there again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank JerryChamp
Sutton Coldfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2008

We did not expect too much from this hotel as the price was very good and we knew that it was a 3* but having read some of the reviews, we thought we had got a bargain. Our plan was to use the hotel as a base and then do a couple of 3/4 day safaris and it would still have worked out to be a bargain holiday having paid twice as much last year. (we love Kenya!). Unfortunately, we were confined to the hotel due to the rioting. Having spent 24 hours there, there was no way we were going to spend another 2 weeks there. We upgraded to the hotel next door which was excellent. The Plaza Beach Hotel was dirty, especially the rooms and bathrooms. The fridge was disgusting and the sheets were older and more ragged than me! The check in after a long flight was drawn out and totally disorganised. The reception staff were unproffessional. I dont want to put anyone out of work, Kenyans are truly lovely people but this hotel, in my opinion, lacks good management and that is where the problem lies and not with the staff who work long hours for very little pay. They seemed very demoralised and exhausted. It was very sad to see that they were doing their best with what they had, which was very little. It could be a lovely hotel, the rooms are large and spacious. The food was not very good and I worried that as the hotel in general was dirty, the kitchens would be the same. I wouldnt return there and would class it as a below average 3*. I would also like to say, please dont be put off going to Kenya once the riots have stopped. It is wonderful place and I dont usually go to the same place twice as there is a lot of world I want to see, but, Kenya is special!

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ClaudiaW

Travellers are raving about these Bamburi hotels

Brussels
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

I chose this hotel from our travel agents' brochure based on what I had read about it on this website. What a mistake!! I have never stayed in such an awful hotel, despite it being listed as 4 star. The whole place was suffering from neglect. The staff were very friendly and did their best, but they were working without any resources - the cleaners were expected to provide their own cleaning products, so earning roughly 5 euro a day this just did not happen. The animation team were expected to provide their own costumes, accessories, music etc. The bedrooms were drab and dirty with the mismatched furniture falling to bits. The bed was so hard i had bruises on my hips, and I'm not a bony person! We paid extra for a pool view but there was no furniture on the balcony - we were told there wasn't enough to go round. The pool water was never tested, leaves were occasionally scooped off the surface of the water, but no adequate cleaning took place, the walls were slimey. Many of the facilities advertised in our travel agents' brochure were not available (i.e. laundry, parasols water sports...) Many people we spoke to were being moved out by their reps but we had no rep to help us out. The food was just good enough to sustain vital functions but it was cold and monotonous. The salad bar consisted of 3 items, nothing for vegetarians, very little fruit and no cheese.
I will recommend that my travel agent remove this hotel from their brochure.
We swam and ate next door at the Severin Sea Lodge which was also 4 star but of a completely different standard.

• Liked — The well maintained gardens
  • Disliked — Bedrooms
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Auntie-Sheila
Rotherham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

We've just come back from a week long stay at the Plaza and it's a lovely hotel. As with all catered accomodation, the food gets repetative, but there was always something we were happy to eat, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it - no deli beli while we were there. It was very clean, the staff are fantastic and it has a lovely atmosphere. It's also really close to Haller Park which was fab- we went at feeding time, and hand fed giraffes!

The beach boys can be really annoying at times, especially if you just want to walk up the beach without being pestered, but there's no threat from them, they're just trying to make some money. Be warned though, they will approach you constantly and you do have to be very firm with them.

Chico on the other hand (on the beach in front of the hotel) was fantastic, we booked a 3 day safari with him, stayed in the same lodges as everyone else, had an experienced tour guide and an uncrowded tour bus. Don't listen to the First Choice rep. They do have insurance, and the trip was amazing.

All in all a fab place and i'd definately recommend it.

• Liked — Great staff, good location
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aliRotherham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburi
Severin Sea Lodge
#9 of 59 in Mombasa
PrideInn Hotel Nyali
PrideInn Hotel Nyali
#11 of 59 in Mombasa

Been to The Plaza Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!