“Lovely pub , rubbish food and service!”

and 1 more site!
The Rose & Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bainbridge
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub , rubbish food and service!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Rose and Crown part of a large group .The service i could be better , the old chap on the bar pretty useless definatley needs to turn his hearing aid up! Food below average looked like it had just come straight out of a microwave. Cold and dismal to say the least. A beautiful setting, the Pubic areas could be so much more welcoming .

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Dudley4
David C, Owner at The Rose & Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
This person was a member of a large party who filled the hotel bedrooms to stay prior to going to a wedding reception the following day. Our prices are less than half of where they went for this reception.
They drank a lot, ate a lot and the noise and laughter indicated they were having a great time.
Nobody complained. The receptionist said that when they checked out individually they were a number of complimentary remarks.
The review is written very clinically like someone doing an inspection looking for things that are wrong rather than “Did I have a good time”. I’m not sure what he means by “Pubic Areas”. What does he know that I don’t.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Saturday 12 October lunch time. Called in for lunch – what a mistake! Cold, unfriendly place where we waited an hour for a sandwich and giant yorkshire which never came and staff unable to locate it. Left and found the George and Dragon a few miles down the road and in another stratosphere – warm, friendly atmosphere, prompt, professional service and brilliant food. We leave the choice to you.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert G
Again I sadly was not there but the comments are difficult to understand.
The lounge bar large open fire had been lit for over a month by this time and there are very many people who come in and comment on what a friendly hospitable welcome they receive. The only conclusion one can come to is that their meal chit must have been mislaid amongst the others in the kitchen. The couple concerned would have been sitting not more than 4 yards from the bar. I just do not know why they never asked where their food was. They could have spoken to the bar staff without getting up. Waiting such a long time without asking is unusual. People are normally asking after 20 minutes if there is a delay. Accidents do happen, chits do get mislaid, but their food would only have taken 10 minutes to produce. Mystified but sorry for what happened. This review is written as a jolly good advert for the George & Dragon.

Travellers are raving about these Bainbridge hotels

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We met two friends at our cottage in Bainbridge where we were staying and decided to walk to the local pub/hotel for an evening meal, the menu provided in the cottage seemed quite promising. Well, the owner/manager was rude to my wife because she didn't want an alcoholic drink and the two course meal the we had was very poor to say the least. the Scampi, what few of them that came were burnt with next to no fish content. The Gammon was as tough as old boots and the garlic bread with my mushrooms was a bit of sliced bread dipped in molten margarine, leaving a soggy mess.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nick4725
The hotel has many people who stay in the nearby cottages coming to eat.
I make a point of finding out what they write in their comments books. Although there is the odd hiccup the food write ups are invariably good. I have taken note and a new head chef is now in position. I, the owner / manager was abroad convalescing from serious medical problems when this happened.
Leeds
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I thought I'd write this while I'm still angry at the way we were treated.6 cyclists stayed as halfway house on Tour de France ride, but we had 11 for dinner and drinks.
First the good points. Having very low expectations given previous reviews if started off quite well. Happy hour at £2 a pint was good value and rooms were basic but adequate given its fairly cheap.
The problem with this place is the staff. The tattooed bar maid is very rough and has no customer empathy and thinks customers are a nuisance to be tolerated. Apparently one of our guys didn't say " please" ordering his beer and she took offence. The next morning I went through the kitchen to get my bottle off my bike and overheard telling the chefs we are "bunch of f......g t.ossers" having spent over £300 on dinners and drinks. As I was trying to sort the bill out she told the manager we were a nightmare and was extremely rude. The surly George clooney look alike waiter supported her saying she was the best staff member!He showed his true colours and makes me wonder what they did to our food! A decent manager could sort this out but they don't care basically. Decent bike shed though...

Room Tip: Book the b&b which the other lads said was excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pdrinnan
I have only just recently read this article. Firstly I wish to extend my humblest apologies to the gentleman who wrote this.
Sadly I spent most of last year in extreme pain due to a bad accident I had which severely damaged my knee. 4 operations and a nasty bug inside the kneecap which was extremely difficult to destroy.
I found it almost impossible to devote much time to the hotel and at the time this happened I was on enforced convalesence away from the hotel. That said there is no excuse for what happened. The article and its associated anger seemingly concerns the verbal remarks of two temporary members of staff. I am told these gentlemen appeared to have a very good time and enjoyed mixing with the locals during happy hour.
The words spoken and that by my staff behaviour was disgusting. They did something similar again and when I heard were immediately sacked.
There are just 98 reviews of this hotel and yet hundreds of people come into the hotel every year. Many are walkers and many come back time and time again to eat, to drink and sometimes to stay.
These people all enjoy themselves but never give it a thought to write on Trip Advisor. I am back now, limping I don’t deny and faced with another operation shortly to improve my knee, but what happened will not happen again.
To those cyclists I again extend my humblest apologies.
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This place has such potential that it is such a pity it doesn't reach it. Faultless location in this stunning village, beautiful old building ...... but so run down and grubby it hardly bears thinking about. I was only there for a night but it was very entertaining; it practically was live entertainment as the room I was put into was directly above the bar which played loud music, and the sound insulation would do credit to a piece of photocopy paper. This, apparently, is the room they sell last so why they put me in there when only three other rooms of the 10 available were booked I don't know. It was cramped, poorly equipped and grotty, and the shower room was an utter disgrace. They happily moved me - to the room they sell next to last! However, as this was done with a big smile I couldn't be cross. The meal was also well below average but again, served with a big smile by the long-suffering staff. Sure, I was paying for a roof over my head, but that was pretty much all.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else to find a good room - sorry.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Cathy R
I belatedly read this review due to medical problem relating to a bad accident which kept me away from the hotel for some considerable time in 2013. I was in hospital when this happened and to the gentleman concerned I send my apologies.
I have checked the records ad established that he was put into a bedroom normally used by staff, namely the head chef who was away on leave.
This room is included in the booking book and was inadvertantly allocated. The couple concerned were immediately moved to Room 5, a four poster bedroom overlooking the village green, a room which people sometimes ring up and specifically ask for.
The music, I am sorry it was so loud. Sunday evening is a social pool evening when the youngsters come in and their music is invariably played. There is a reception bookings rule which states that on certain nights rooms above the bar area should not be used. Sadly this was similarly ignored.
I have taken notice of the comments about the food and a new head chef is in place. My apologies. I shall see it doesn’t happen again.
Nottingham
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

We only called in for a drink, so cannot comment on the rooms. However, judging by the standard of cleanliness in the main lounge/ dining area & toilets I would never consider staying here. Which is a great pity as it's in a lovely location in a beautiful setting. Given the age of the place(nearing 600years) you would expect staff to have some knowledge, all our questions were answered with an indifferent "don't know".

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Southcroft66
North West
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Bainbridge as a village is absolutely gorgeous - the typical yorkshire dales village. It has a village green complete with "stocks", an honesty box for parking and the upkeep of the green, a bakery, post office and a rather disappointing village pub. After reading all of the other reviews we decided to nip in after our 9 mile walk on the saturday just for a drink - definately no food! I was surprised when my husband returned with the drinks (I was sat outside looking after our dog) and apologised for taking so long as the barmaid didn't know how to make an orange juice with lemonade. It didctually work in our favour as for a pint she only charged £1, but come on!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blackp00lGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bainbridge
Stone House Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 2 in Burnsall
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Devonshire Fell Hotel

Been to The Rose & Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!