My wife booked an overnight stay as a wedding anniversary treat and booked Carabeo, the Spanish room in the annex. The room itself was warm, clean and tidy, but lacked any Spanish atmosphere. The bathroom was functional with a roll top bath but no shower - our main concern was that it did not have a ceiling. The TV, a Bang & Olufsen, was out of tune, even though it worked only on the free Sky satellite channels. One of the staff tried to improve it, which he did marginally, but it wasn't really worth watching. We felt that the room and its services fell short of that required to claim a 5 star rating.
The restaurant could not be faulted. The food was quite superb as were the waiting staff who were helpful, always cheerful and knew exactly what they were serving - I liked that. We had the Yorkshire breakfast that set us up for the day - all local produce and nicely presented.
Can I suggest that you take note that the hotel adds a gratuity of 10% against the cost of the evening meal. It is on the menu, but you have to opt out of paying it. We thought that it would apply only to non-residents, but a gratuity of over £11.00 was included on the final bill. The receptionist removed it when I objected, again this probably colours my rating as it's not what you expect in a 5 star hotel.
In summary - We feel that the hotel is a little overrated at 5 star, but be mindful that that is based on a single night in a room that was away from the main building, being one of four in what was the original schoolroom. The food was delightful, the staff superb, but, for me, it doesn't tick all of the 5 star boxes and we were a little disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yorebridge House is situated by the river on the edge of the unspoilt village of Bainbridge, Wensleydale in the North Yorkshire Dales. All Yorebridge's thirteen spacious bedrooms are individually inspired with sumptuous fabrics for complete comfort. Sky HD and DVD players available in all rooms. The bathrooms have been created for luxury and relaxation. All rooms have stunning views of the dales and some have their own terrace with hot tubs. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Yorebridge House Hotel Bainbridge
- Yorebridge Hotel Bainbridge
- Yorebridge House Bainbridge, Yorkshire