“Pleasant log cabin experience”

Philea Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ayer Keroh
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights for the company function. The breakfast was decent with a wide selection of local and western food, juices and fruits. The room was spacious but could be better sound-proofed and gnat-free. Activity, gym, dining and meeting halls are adequate and well-equipped but walkway to cafeteria could be slippery during rainfalls. Nice fish ponds surround the activity halls. Reception and waiting staff are friendly and courteous. Overall the stay was a good experience

Room Tip: Down stair rooms may be prone to buggy noise passing by
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at room 3018 from 16-19june.
Really do not know how to start my review.
Basically, I have all kinds of "friends" during my stay, Rat was sighted on my 1st night and front desk suggested a mouse trap but didnt manage to catch any. My face was filled with love bites from mosquitoes on my 1st night. Best - there were bee-like bugs, hundreds of them which will be hovering around the lights early in the morn. Not sure why but all would be dead around 11am and will be all over the floor!
The hotel food sucks big time too, flies were everywhere. during my stay, i didnt dare to eat any food that is left in the open. What else? Oh, room service takes ages to come, more than 1hour and they dont allow you to charge to room.
With these, i seriously dont suggest anyone sane to stay there. This is definitely worst than any 1 star hotel. DO NOT TRAMATISED YOURSELF AND SPOIL YOUR HOLIDAY PLEASE.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Evie_chua
PhileaMelaka, Manager at Philea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Evie_chua,

Thank you for choosing your stay with us on your recent trip to Melaka and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We wish to extend our sincere apologies for the bug and insect issues in your room. For your information, we did engage pest control specialist to carry out discreet pest control in every room on regular basis. However, we regret on what has happened to you. We do hope you will treat this incident as one off case and not our usual standards.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and sorry for the inconvenience caused. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The resort was differnt in the sense that it was made of logs. It is not.on level ground so frequent walks to other areas of the resort was really tiring, especially if you have kids. Our room was in front of the pool and the boom box was so annoying i wish it would just blow up. The pool was not really safe for small children as it was made of pebble-like base. And near to the edge of the pool was the man-made waterfall, which is off-limits. Why not let guests enjoy the waterfall? The food was overly priced, we only ate there once and ventured out for the next meals. Very central location if you drive. The massage was mediocre and not worth the money. Ear candling was not done properly, poking into my skin instead of aligning it properly. However, make the best of it and you will find some good points. Free wifi, friendly staff, quite a choice of food during breakfast and most importantly, just a break from everyday routine. Now someone shoot down that noisy boom box please if you go there.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Abby013
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Before the trip, I was impressed by the hotel via it website... So call ' 5 stars rating'...
After the trip, I was utterly disappointed. It does not worth even a 3 stars rating...
The reasons are... The room was frosty and dusty. To my horror, the toilet bowl, seat & cover was filled with 'diarrhoea stained'. The housekeeping did not do a good job!!! Throughout my stay, my 6 meals were at Nusantara restaurant. Poor quality of food!!! The bread roll was cold & hard. Worst of all, when I told the waitress that the sweet corn soup was salty, they just simply dilute with more water and serve us again. The cakes was not appetizing. The milk for the cereal was not chilled. No proper utensils for meal. Knife was not provided to spread butter on bread. Used paper cup for juice/ water and even on hot drink. Really not acceptable!!! ( we are dining in a restaurant not catering... ) It is an indoor restaurant but full of flies. My bread roll was embedded with a dead fly. There was a fly in my friend's drink. Need plenty of improvement in this area!
The property was not well maintained at all and overrated!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lindalmf

Dear Lindalmf,

First of all, we are honored that you have selected Philea Resort & Spa as your recent trip.

Our humble apologies in areas that you did not experience the entire Philea Resort & Spa service and product standards as expected. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate your valuable feedback on these matters. Necessary actions will be taken to rectify the over sighted challenges at our restaurant.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is in a poor state. Hotel staff are not friendly. Room with geckos and making noise throughout the night and not good for light sleepers. Cleanliness of the hotel need to be improved. Breakfast in Nusantara restaurant, poor food and full of flies.Walkway are wet slippery and dangerous for elderly or young one.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Cheryltee84
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Perhaps, I was lucky compare to other visitors here which at average complaint about the services. I had quite good service from the hotel staff during my stay(however, still not reach the level compare to the price you pay). Not much complaint on that, except they have sent laundry to the wrong room. It was not my laundry, but suddenly there were new clothes in my wardrobe :P

PRO :
- The room was nice with spacious bath room
- The room was clean and cozy with the woods architecture.
- The bed was comfortable
- The extra bed also quite good.
- The restaurant was OK as well as the breakfast. But I think the restaurant for breakfast, they need to put more effort to ensure some cleanliness.
- The breakfast spread quite OK, and average, not WOW.
- Swimming pool was great, we loved it
- Karaoke room was nice as we had 1 hrs, Karaoke with my family.
- The jungle environment was nice and relaxing.

CONS
- Although our bathroom was spacious, but shower area, the drainage was terrible. Water flowing very slow. End up we shower in the bathtub. (Lazy to complaint because we just stay one night).
- As other visitors complaint, I think they need to provide the buggy services since all the rooms quite far. (I no complaint on this because our room near to the reception : Room 208). I experience stayed in other hotel in Malaysia, quite same concept and around same price, you can ask for buggy services any time you need it. Even at late night :). Philea should improve their buggy services, no doubt on that!
- Staff not attentive, we ask for extra bed around 6PM but only received it after 10PM. :). I have to call them again to remind.

Overall, I think I rate 4stars because of the hotel itself and the environment. I think for the service,I do notice some of their staff try to do the best for customers...yes I said some, not ALL :)

With the price of this hotel, they should distinguish their services from other average hotel, but they are not there yet. But don't give up, you have good hotel and you just need a good people to serve customers.

TIPS2OTHERS : If you want to avoid any other uncomfortable during your stay, if you don't mind and have budget to upgrade, go for Philea Suite rather than Pavillion rooms. Most of the Philea Suite are nearest to the place you want to go and have better view as well as more convenience.

CONCLUSION : "How Do I Rate It? ". It because the hotel and the environment as well as I just had short stay here. With all the complaint I read in TripAdvisor, I would recommend for short stay. If you looking for long stay, make sure you choose room near to swimming pool or reception as the buggy service will not be available to you 24x7

Room Tip: If you have budget, go for Philea Suite instead of Pavilion Rooms. Our room is 208, quite, peaceful...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CareTaker_77

Dear CareTaker_77,

Thank you for choosing your stay with us on your recent trip to Melaka and for taking the time to share your constructive feedback with us.

We would like to extend my apologies for the less than satisfactory experiences you had such as buggy service, staff attentiveness and unpleasant room conditions. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our team and that your comments have been discussed at length especially with department concerned to prevent such repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction. Meanwhile, thank you for the positive feedback concerning the rooms, breakfast, facilities and the environment.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcome you back again to our resort soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Not worth the money and I will not return or recommend to any of my friends and family.
Disappointed from the minute I arrived at the resort. The service provided by the staff is BAD. I was traveling with a 1yr old baby, therefore I would expect the hotel to offer the use of the buggy service. Each time i contacted the buggy reception, they would refuse to take my request and questioning me how old is my baby and asking if my baby can walk before finally allowing the buggy to come pick me. I have to explain this to the staff each time I request for the buggy service.
As for the breakfast, there is a wide spread to choose from which is good. However, there was no replenishing of the food even after mentioning to the staff a few times. There was just not enough food to go around, seeing that the hotel is fully booked.
I paid for a 5 star resort and the service is not even worth 2 stars.
The resort grounds itself is quiet and relaxing but definitely not worth the money.
Suggest that the hotel provide better training to the service staff to meet the standard of a 5 star property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 168 in Melaka
Mudzaffar Hotel Melaka
Mudzaffar Hotel Melaka
#1 of 9 in Ayer Keroh

Been to Philea Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!