“A mixed experience”

Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waya Lailai
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a nice couple of days at Wayalailai resort but there were a few problems. There is a website called wayalailairesortfiiji.com which which we used to book online and recieved a "confirmation email" accepting payment for two nights accommodation. However when we arrived at the resort the manager said that they DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF INTERNET BOOKING SYSTEM AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY ONLINE PAYMENT SYSTEM. Unfortunately we weren't able to check this due to the understandable lack of internet so we had to pay again for the accommodation we thought we had already paid for. Apparently this has happened several times before and we were assured that no money would have been debited from our account. This was very frustrating and nothing appeared to have been done about the problem despite it happening many times before. On our return the card details had been stolen and used to make a false transaction.

At the resort we stayed in a bure which was worth the extra 30FJD per person per night. The summit hike was a highlight though maybe better to go for sunrise when its cooler and you can't actually see the sunset from where you hike to.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flockers5

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Simply beautiful. All food was included and delicious. Rooms were pleasant and the liestyle very simple, Would return anytime. They were happy to feed me my vegetarian. Take tours it really adds to the adventure. Great friendly people

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HoneyMother
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great place to relax on a sandy beach under palm trees.. Enjoy snorkeling, climbing the mountain to see the sunset, mingling in the village, fishing, swimming. Tasty food, variety, and plenty of it. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This resort is clean, but basic. the power is only on for a few hours in the morning and the evening, but who needs power when you are lying in a hammock by the ocean? There was some Fiji music and entertainment. Our group of 6 older friends relaxed and had a great time, as did the young backpackers, and the families.

Room Tip: the bures are nice, but we stayed in the lodge. We liked the privacy and the view from the top.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shelley s
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay. We were lucky enough to visit the village and see a church ceremony that was conducted by the children and we were invited to eat with the village which was a lovely experience! Definitely visit the village for the true Fiji experience.

The island is a good place to chill with beautiful views - especially if you do the summit walk. It is difficult but VERY worth it!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This resort has a real personal feel to it, the staff all know your name and are always checking to see if you are okay. The island is so beautiful I would recommend the sunrise guided summit hike, the sunset one is far too hot to be doing.

The accommodation was the best I had stayed in out of all of the islands, I was staying in two coconut and got my own room despite only paying for a dorm (the perks of going low season). They offer a laundry service for $15 (so helpful when all of your clothes are either sweaty or wet). The electricity on the island is a bit temperamental and it never comes on at the time you are told it will. But to be honest you really don't need it other than to charge your camera.

You are welcomed into the village community with open arms and join them in a Kava ceremony almost every night. I went snorkelling on some of the really nice reefs out there. For the girls I would recommend the weaving lesson where the women come from the village and help you make your own jewelry. Although they tell you it costs $5 but they ask you if you would like to make another bracelet which is around $7 on top of that and then they show you their stall where you do feel a little inclined to buy something from them after chatting for about half an hour.

The beach is really nice and has a pretty good reef for snorkelling on, you can hire the gear for $10 a day which is really cheap compared to other islands. In fact the whole island is cheap compared to the rest so stock up if you are heading north after here.

Brilliant island would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have just come back after my second trip to Waya Lai Lai; my first trip on my own, and the second with my family including two children aged 9 & 11. Waya Lai Lai gives you the true Fijian experience. Beautiful people who welcome you with open arms, and make an effort to get to know who you are and where you are from. Yes, the facilities are basic, so don't come here if you want 5 star. Accommodation was in a bure with a double and 3 singles - two of the singles in a loft which the kids loved. The entertainment is great - not flashy but done with humour and in a way to make you feel like part of the family. Dinner on the beach with a bonfire was fantastic. Swimming with the sharks is highly recommended - both my kids loved it and we all felt safe. The walk up to the top of the rock is spectacular (or so I see by my husbands photo's!!) Both times I came here at the start of my trip around the Yasawa's, and both times I wish I had gone back. Thank you all so much, and we'll definitely be back one day.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Deb D
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights and it was great. Accommodation is good, food is nice, the atmosphere is so relaxing and the beach is amazing. The hammocks are right on the beach which is perfect for a chilled afternoon reading your book. The food is good and were we lucky enough to be there for the Fijian night which was great entertainment. Swimming with reef sharks is a must and also the summit walk. Its hard but the views are so worth it. Would highly recommend this resort!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Tavewa Island
Barefoot Kuata Island
Barefoot Kuata Island
#1 of 1 in Kuata Island

Been to Wayalailai Ecohaven Resort? Share your experiences!