“A new jewel in the Cotswolds!!”
Review of The Swan at Ascott

The Swan at Ascott
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This old and typical pub is in a quiet friendly village well positioned in the Cotswolds for Stratford Upon Avon, Blenheim Palace, Bibury, Burford and Oxford. Recent refurbishment in accomodation and throughout is first class. It is bound to become a hot spot for locals and tourists.

The food is to die for which is not a surprise as the Chef team from the successful nearby Tollgate in Kingham have moved in with style.

Curry Night on Tuesday is very popular with great choices and good value and we certainly need to go back to try another one of the many options. Try the Buffalo ice cream afterwards..it is the best we have ever had.

We 've also tried Sunday Lunch which was delicious especially the roast beef which is served in the middle of a gigantic yorkshire pudding!

The prices are the best in the area and the service by the owners Richard and Mikiel clearly love what they are doing which shows in the high quality of the food and such friendly and welcoming service. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: Don't just stay one night you'll regret it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PandPCotswoldsUK

Reviewed 13 September 2013

As part of a family of 5 we have been to The Swan many times for food and drinks! We have sampled the curry night, experienced the fish and chips van and we're working through the entire menu! The quality of the food is amazing and knowing that it's all fresh makes it taste even better!

Last Sunday we has a roast dinner, at £12.95 each. The portions were enormous and the Yorkshire pudding filled the plate! Definitely worth the money and the beef was gorgeous!

Well done on your success so far Richard and Michiel! And thank you for the exceptional service James, Becks and another girl whose name I didn't catch! We will see you soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 11 September 2013

It's just brilliant to have our village pub open again. Richard and Mikiel are fantastic landlords. They have aimed to welcome everyone in the village to come and visit the pub and its lovely to see the place buzzing again. When you go in there is always a welcome with a friendly smile and the staff are attentive and helpful without being overbearing. The decor is warm and inviting , whilst keeping a traditional pub atmosphere. The quiz night on a Monday is good fun and there is a great atmosphere, breaking down barriers and gets everyone chatting with each other. I can't recommend the curry night on a Tuesday more highly in terms of both value for money , presentation and a choice of three curries each week.....my favourites are the range of vegetarian curries.... They have all been absolutely delicious.
This pub is great and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.....great atmosphere, warm welcome, delicious food served at very reasonable prices.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sara A
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Having been closed for many years it was nice to hear that this Inn was going to open again.
We booked Sunday lunch which for us is a rare treat.
At £12.95 each, we expected a reasonable meal to say the least...
We booked for 1.30 but didn't get seated until 2.30. We then waited another 45 minutes for our food.
When I mentioned it to the waitress, she told me it was because they only had one chef.
I mentioned to her that I was not happy & she was very abrupt & said I could speak to the owner.
I asked her to relay the message which she clearly was not happy about.
Incidentally, there were 4 waiting staff just stood around during all of this( its a shame they couldn't help chef out)!
The owner finally came to our table and made the same excuses but offered nothing to us in way of compensation.
I did explain that knowing he only had one chef, he should hhave let us know that there might be delays at the time of booking or at least when we arrived.
We finally got served with a luke warm meal. The roast beef was almost in edible & we even heard other tables ask for steak knives to cut it.
We left most of ours & mentioned it to the staff that collected the plates.
We may have well talked to the wall!
I was ready to leave but our boys wanted pudding.
Another wait & I then went & fetched staff to take an order.
We ordred & 10 minutes later the waitress returned to say they had all gone but there was some cake.
We ordred some & what appeared was some large pieces of dried up sponge cake.
I did say to the owner it wasn't great and highlighted the points we were not happy with while we were paying the bill.
No adjustment was made & a half hearted apology was made.
The bill was nearly £80.00!!!
As long as the present owner is in this establishment, we will not be going back!
We did think they may have been having an off day but when we spoke to some villagers we know, they said exactly the same!
Avoid it!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Anthony H
Richard H, Owner at The Swan at Ascott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Mr. Anthony Hannington.
I refer to you by name as you might remember that you gave me your personal card when you visited us - this with the view to hiring or loaning to us a marquee for our music event - which we didn't require. This, in itself, many find rather odd and strange - especially having received such a scathing review from you.
We do, however, thank you for your time to write what you have written and very much welcome your decision not to visit us again - this, in the main, for both the extremely rude and obnoxious way in which you both treated and spoke to our staff and also also for the many fabrications that you have included in your report. I will attempt to deal with several of them below.
Upon arrival you were greeted by myself and told that we had a delay on that day to which you replied "that's no problem, we're not in a hurry, we'll have a drink in the bar". Your bill was in fact £70.30 and there were only three members of waiting staff working that day. You mention that you were seated at 2.30pm, then waited a further 45 minutes to be served your main course. You then say that you had to find staff to order desserts and had to wait a further 10 minutes for these - which timing wise, we find rather strange (if you add your timings together) as our records show that all our staff had 'clocked off' no later than 4pm on that day! You also mention that you were served 'some large pieces of dried up sponge cake' - our records show that in fact your order only contained 1 lemon drizzle. And you state 'they had all gone' - are you referring to puddings here or staff? Either way this is ridicules as the Chef is a co-owner living on the premises, and we certainly hadn't run out of any desserts! We have also not had any feed back from any villagers who have said that the wouldn't return to our Inn under our ownership - in fact over 350 of them attended our music night!
Whilst we totally agree that everybody should indeed be able to write a review and give their opinion on a place - and so indeed they should -
It is very sad that that people such as yourself help to give the good service that Trip Advisor tries to provide a bad name - can we please, therefore, request that not just for our sake but for the sake of any establishment that you please state the facts and tell the truth!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We were visiting the area and had been told this was a good place to try for Sunday dinner. It has just been reopened and there is some work to finish outside but when we got in, WOW, The owner was very friendly and gave us some background on the renovations etc. It was beautiful.
moving on to the food, we are a family of four with fussy children!! We had various meals, all of us were very happy with our meals. Interesting variety on the menu, all was well cooked and delicious. I thought the value was also excellent. The whole atmosphere was warm and cosy and relaxing. We had a peek at the B&B rooms which were lovely with huge en-suites! We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: All rooms looked good although we weren't staying this time
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nel12
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Had heard that the Swan Inn was under new management and due to re-open this summer with nervous excitement as it's just a stones throw away from the Oxfordshire Way in the pretty village of Ascott-under-Wychwood - so a perfect place to stop for a meal or a drink when out walking. The new owners have sensitively redecorated and have created a cosy, comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. Have now been for both dinner and lunch and can say the food is great - well cooked, tasty and the portions are generous - all of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. On Sunday's, as well as the normal lunch menu, they do a full roast dinner served in a large Yorkshire pudding - it was mouth wateringly good! My only regret is that each time I've been I've not had room to try a dessert - must remember to save room! There is a good choice of wine and a selection of real ales on tap. I haven't seen the rooms but if the bar area and dining room is anything to go by I'm sure they're equally comfortable and tastefully decorated. My friends and I will be coming again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CedarWych
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Having been closed for some while The Swan has reopened under new Management who are still in the process of renovating to an excellent standard. The garden was almost full, our food was excellent - and I spied on everyone else's as it was delivered and judging by the smells and the empty plates they all thought the same. Even the dog sat up with nose twitching as the delicious looking tempura veg went past!! I viewed 3 rooms which have really been thought out and decorated beautifully and the prices are very competitive especially for the Cotswolds. Our food bill was very reasonable and we will definitely return. We will also be sure to recommend the rooms to visiting family.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JillNevSam

Been to The Swan at Ascott? Share your experiences!