“A perfect retreat”
Review of The Swan at Ascott

The Swan at Ascott
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We stayed here for two nights in February. Everything was first class, from Richard, the owner, to the rooms, breakfast and dinner. We would certainly recommend this as a weekend getaway to recharge your batteries. We stayed in the Cocoon Room at the top of the building. The room has been refurbished to a very high standard but without losing any of it's olde worlde charm. We took dinner in the bar on both evenings - the menu and presentation of food would not be out of place in more expensive restaurants. The village is great to wander around and we found the locals to be very friendly - how often do you walk down your street to be greeted with a "hello" from all you meet! We will certainly put on our list to return at some time in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 February 2010

Just returned from a 2 night stay and was very impressed with this pub/b&b.
The rooms are great, the food is really good and Richard is a pleasure to deal with as well!
Hope to be returning soon and would recommend to anyone!

Jay from Essex

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2010

A touch of heaven, a clean well presented room. Everything you need for a comfortable stay. The large bed had the most comfortable mattress and the bedding was just perfect. We didn’t want to get up for breakfast as we were so snug. Food was great in the bar at lunch & breakfast. Host was helpful & friendly. Just the best. Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 November 2009

We stayed for 3 nights with friends who holiday with us regularly.
We loved the relaxed and friendly bar, and chose to eat at a table in front of the fire, rather than in the dining area.Being November,it was fairly quiet during the week but as we were in a group we didn't mind.The food was excellent, and the service faultless.The breakfast menu was the best I have come across, and was on time and delicious.
The room was fairly basic, but warm and comfortable.The bathroom was clean, and there was plenty of hot water for a long soak with a book, but toiletries were not up to much. We went and bought our own.All in all, a great place for a break.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Just got back from a two day stay here. We booked the Ascott Room which was lovely, clean and warm. The food was fantastic and we only ate here the first night but wished we'd eaten here both nights. My husband had the Gloucester Spot sausages with spring onion mash, it was a large portion and tasted wonderful. I had the steak with the biggest chips I'd ever seen, the presentation was that of a four star hotel in London, again it tasted wonderful. The deserts again did not disappoint and when we received the bill we thought we had underpaid for the standard!
The breakfasts are something else, you have a choice of two courses, my husband had the full English and he did not eat again until the evening, it was huge! I had the Eggs Benedict, two muffins, ham which was about 1/2 centimetre thick, perfectly poached eggs and the sauce which was amazing.
The staff were very friendly and ran off to get me an iron and board the minute I asked if they had one. Cant do enough for you to make you feel welcome.
I cant believe having been to the Cotswold's many times that we have finally found a place we will return to next time....can't wait!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2009

My wife & I have just spent 3 nights at the Swan & thoroughly enjoyed it.I have never stayed anywhere so relaxed & friendly,the owner & his staff could not do enough for us The rooms are spacious & Comfortable with modern decor & fittings. We intended to eat there one night & go out on the other 2 but the food was so good we ate there every night,I Can't remember having food this good anywhere & it's not overpriced.
The breakfast menu is a joy with so many options that you rarely see in other hotels such as steak & eggs, eggs florentine,benedict or royale, Pancakes with maple syrup, but beware the full english is enormous (if you have it all) especially after real scottish porridge.
I cannot reccomend this place enough for a relaxing break in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I have just come back from a weekend at the Swan. I stay at a lot of hotels and this was truly exceptional. The welcome was warm the food fantastic and the beer well kept. We were treated well by all the staff and the owner (Rick) was a truly excellent host. I really do recommend this as a place to unwind and relax. My wife and I hope to return and hopr you enjoy staying there as much as we did with our friends.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Been to The Swan at Ascott? Share your experiences!