“Hell, no!!”

Arasha Tropical Rainforest Resort & Spa
Reviewed 10 September 2008

I was due to stay here for 2 nights with my husband. I booked months in advance following reassurance that our vegetarian food requirements would be met. Initially I was very pleased, they wanted to know the sorts of things we did and didn´t like etc.
Upon arrival we were shown to our room which had an overwhelming smell of damp. Following this we went for lunch, we were given the veggie menu, which contained 5 things (nothing specifically for us as we were led to believe). The evening meal was from the same menu and the quality of the food was not that of a ´chef´´.
We complained to the manager, he spoke little english and offered to allow us to leave the following day but pay for both nights, much hand wringing later and my production of a copy of the email from the overall manager re food, and we escaped, paying for 1 night only. Although we had to pay for a taxi back to quito ($60) which had been included initially.
I wouldn´t advise anyone to go here unless you like paying a lot for crap.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank HelenDonaghy

Reviewed 17 June 2008

This tropical paradise is more than a rainforest, which I went looking for. First of all; resort in the name is well applied....nothing is left for the guest to worry about since so many details are included...umbrellas everywhere; full room comforts (including portable air conditioners if wanted); lighting on all walkways without interfering with nature; a pool of natural falls....really; and then the unlimitied staff service everywhere...computer friendly; attention non stop. I wonder if it was low season as I was so pampered by the family of workers. ok; the food- well; i thought i was in a 5star big city competetive restaurant...and i hope the steak supplier never goes away. well, i neglected the activities which come with it - free and ongoing. Don't forget SPA in the equation...who thought of alllllll this? I cannot wait to return. FYI- it is soooo relaxing; put it on the end of any other trip to re enter reality. lbixby

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank labixby
Reviewed 17 June 2008

Arasha is AMAZING
Date June 17, 2008

We were lucky enough to take our vacation to Galapegos and Peru. The unexpected highlight of the entire trip was Arasha. Paradise in the middle of the rain forest. The food is 5 star with an incredible selection. The service is top notch and you are catered to by an amazing staff. You can keep as busy as you like, or just relax. Our guide was amazing and planned every day with us and we had the option to change our mind. The pool is amazing and the grounds are absoultely spectacular. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Another highlight was the spa! A 2 hour full wonderful treatment was only $60 and I would have paid double for this. Don't miss Arasha if you are in Equador!!!!

Jane in Denver

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank 7,444
Reviewed 19 February 2008

We enjoyed our time at Arasha. When we arrived we were assigned a private tour guide named Geovanny Rojas. He worked very hard to please us. We sat down together and planned our 3 days of activities and he was with us for all of the activities. The resort was not very full because it was mid week, but I feel that it wasn't full because it is over priced.
I thought food was good, especially the shrimp and ceviche dishes.
My husband thought the food was fair.
We enjoyed the Macalleres hike, chocolate workshop, horseback ride and loved the Cascades hike.
Since there is no entertainment at night, we took advantage of the massages. I highly recommend them.
The staff was very accommodating. There seemed to be way more staff than guests(15 guests).
The weather pattern was predictable; cloudy in the morning, clearing until 2-3 pm, heavy rain until dawn. Being used to a climate controlled environment, I found the humidity a pleasant but unusual feeling. Of course nothing dried, so don't take denim or jeans, they will never dry. We did half of our activities in the rain. On the last day we used the laundry, just so we wouldn't have to pack wet clothes. But you should expect that from a rain forest. Use lots of insect repellent, we got loads of bites, especially in the water falls and river swims.
We saw some interesting insects- huge beetle, weird slug, leaf cutter ants, termites.
All in all we enjoyed our time there. I do believe that it was way overpriced. We paid $1800 for 2 for 3 nights.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2007

We visited Arasha after exploring Quito, The Andean Highlands and before Galapagos.
I was drawn to Arasha by their website which is extremely welldone BUT when you get there, at least when we were there in April 2006, it was NOT all that it was represented to be.

The jacuzzi was shut down. The mini golf was shut down as well. The night walk with torches, although interesting to see lichen glow in the dark, was a walk 50 feet down a path. A disappointment... The biggest scam is the shaman. First of all, he walks around beforehand wearing a Ralph Lauren shirt and nice jeans accompanied by his daughter and son, and talking on his cell phone. Then you see them with their dress on. His kids do these anti climactic dances while they smirk to one another as if to say, "look at what these tourists will pay to see". The Shaman does his thing which is interesting but you're sitting in a cheap plastic chair and well, the whole experience lost its WOW in a big way. From seeing him beforehand to getting your spirit cleansed seemed a bit silly. This was not what we were expecting. It certainly wasn't anything like they built it up to be. And it wasn't cheap, that's for sure.

On a plus note, the food was good. The waiters were super friendly. My husband took a bird walk before the sun rose with a private guide and it was the most amazing experience. Many thanks to her. She made up for the shaman downfall. The staff is great with kids. One very kind man always let my son go visit the toucans which was sweet. The Ecuadorians want to please and they do go the distance when asked.

Overall, an okay experience with great Highs and some bad lows.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank chrisdiannefamily
Reviewed 9 September 2007

We stayed at the ARASHA in August 2007. The first impression was so-so for several reason:

1) The driving in Ecuador is insane for western standards. I highly recomend not traveling when it is dark. If you arrive after 4 p.m.at Quito, I highly recommend you stay at a city hotel. We stayed at the Dann Carlton. It was clean and nice. The trip to Arasha takes about 2.5 hours. The trip back takes about 4 hours since if is mostly uphill. Tell your dirver to take it easy if you feel unsafe.

2) Ecuador is a beuatiful country, but a poor country. The houses and people that live by the roads on the way to the resort belong to the economically unstable population of Ecuador.

3) The place is very humid and some of the rooms (we had 5 rooms in our party) had that humidity aroma to it. Make sure you turn on the ceiling fan while you are away from the room.

The second impression was different for several reasons:

1) The pool is wonderful and its color is very inviting. The jacuzzi was great too.

2) The restaurant had a deck overlooking the pool which was also great. The food was very good. We were told that the water is treated and passed through a filter so that there is no danger with water born diseades. Therefore we drank our drinks with ice cubes. Four weeks later no one in our party has felt sick after the trip.

3) There are 2 rooms per house (cabaña). So our children stayed in a room right next to us. You can hear almost everything that is happening in the other room. So be careful with you do or say.

4) The massages were great too.

5) There were hardly any mosquitos or other biting animals.

6) After the first night we felt right at home and adpated to the jungle.

A few words about the activities.
1) Do not expect to see any wild animals here. The jungle around is spotty and saved from the destruction of man because it is inaccesible for cows or farming.
2) I highly recommend the Nocturnal Tour, the Primary forest of Macallares and the Cascade in this precise order. The Macallares and Cascade tour require coordinatioin and strength, since some spots are rough. My father who is 67 and healthy had it difficult, even thought he did not want to admit it.
3) The chocolate and artisan workshop were fun too.
4) The bird watching at 6 a.m. is not worth it unless you are really into birds.
5) The negrito beach is nice, but not inviting.
6) If you plan to fish for your dinner you will die of hunger. Although there are many tilapias in the pond, they do not bite because they are so well fed.
7) We had the Shaman do a cleaning for us. It is done at a large room in the resort. The mood was not well set there. The Shaman played a drum, a second person played a marimba and a young couple danced a traditinal dance. After 10 minutes de Shaman started doing his cleaning to a person in our party making strange sounds. The kids could not help it and started laughing histerically. After a minute all 12 of us where having great dificulty controlling ourserlves. It was fun and interesting.

All in all I would recommend staying at ARASHA as an experience prior or after a galapagos trip, especially if you have kids. Kid will have a blast there. I would not recommend it as a romantic escapade, for that I would stay at Hacienda Cusin.

Regards
Valentino

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank ValentinoLover
Reviewed 5 July 2007

My husband and I and friends went to Arasha for an overnight stay. The site is secure; all guests are given wrist bands to wear during their stay. The kids loved the pool and the jewelry-making workshop. I felt the Chocolate Workshop was worth while. Please note, English is not spoken well here. So if your Spanish is limited, you may experience some frustrations.

The rooms are clean, but I had a problem with the smell of dirt. There is no air conditioning...bring light clothing. Don't forget your bug spray. These are not rooms I would "hang out" in, but the porches, definitely!

Evening entertainment is limited. They show a movie in the theater, bu this is for the kids. The movie, Dr. Doolittle, was an old one, so the kids were not interested. It also started later that we would have liked.

The pool water is warm...not very refreshing, but the kids loved it. Arasha was not crowded when we went, but there were only 10 lounge chairs at most...they may have more stored somewhere, but I didn't see them.

We recommend the torch light walk...it is not an hour long, but again, don't forget the bug spray!

The restaurant offered one menu for lunch and dinner. Everyone enjoyed their meals, including the kids. They say that three meals are included, however, they don't specify the meals. We wanted lunch, dinner, and lunch before we left. My friend and her husband asked at the reception desk if this was ok. The manager said yes. After we had lunch the second day, we were presented with a bill. The manager admitted that he made a mistake, but did not rectify the situation to our satisfaction. It was not a great way to end out stay, to say the least.

Note: There is no place to secure your wallets/important papers. This was frustrating.

Because of our limited stay, we did not take advantage of the spa. We did visit, and it looked nice.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Pacto
Mindo Rio Hosteria
Mindo Rio Hosteria
#39 of 48 in Mindo

Been to Arasha Tropical Rainforest Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!