“Beautiful views, good golf & food”

Greencastle Golf Club
Dublin, Ireland
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Beautiful views, good golf & food”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Revisited Greencastle this October, although I didn't score quite as well in the very windy / rainy conditions.

Also it was a little wet underfoot, particularly on the lower areas of the course. But none of this interfered with our group's enjoyment of the experience.

Views were fabulous as were the meals and friendly atmosphere we enjoyed in the clubhouse afterwards.

Most notable holes for me were the long par 3 6th with water before and after the green (one of golf writer, Kevin Markham's favourites) and par 4 12th towards the lighthouse (driver and blind pitching wedge shot).

All in all great value for money - well done Greencastle, we will definitely be back!

Visited October 2013

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Golf and views to dream about.”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We played a round of Golf at Greencastle on Monday 9th september(4ball from Liverpool) the course is really excellent and is very challenging.It is well laid out and the views across Lough Foyle are fantastic. Although I am biased I believe that this part of Donegal is still very much unexplored and.anyone wanting a friendly welcome,great hospitality and brilliant golf courses need look no further than here.... My one suggestion would be that a bell be put around the lighthouse hole 12th ,as your second shot is a blind one and the green is way below the fairway so it is impossible to see if someone is on the green.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Forsy11
Portadown, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Food & Views”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have eaten in this golf club several times now and I couldn't say one bad thing about the food or the service. Not being a golfer, I obviously don't go for the golfing, but the view from the club house is amazing and if you are lucky enough to go on a sunny day you will be thrilled even more. Food is great, something for everyone and really great value for money. Seating is really comfy and you are always made to feel at home, even with kids. Well worth a visit if you are in this area. I would say, if you are planning a visit, just check there isn't a member only day on, as we have come across this once but this is only to be expected in a member run club and wouldn't put me off going.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ann L
Dublin, Ireland
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Great golf at a little known links course”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We booked 2 courses for our group’s November trip to Donegal’s Inishowen Peninsula – Greencastle and Ballyliffin. Our first port of call was Greencastle, that, I had been led to believe, was just an “ordinary” members’ course.
This was a tad underselling, in my view, of what turned out to be a fine links course on the shores of Lough Foyle. Although it is in a different league to the more well-known links courses, it is great value for money and well worth including in your list of courses to visit, whenever you travel to Donegal for golf.
Maybe, I left the course with a good feeling – we had great weather on the day we played (in contrast to the horrible weather we experienced next day in Ballyliffin), there were great views of Lough Foyle and I scored well. At Par 69 (5293 metres in length with 6 par 3s), it is a little short but none of this took away from our enjoyment or from the golfing challenge.
The most memorable hole for me was the par 4 12th, “Lighthouse”, which is played firstly to a valley, then uphill to the green on the downward slope towards the shoreline and lighthouse. I played driver and 9 iron (ball hopped on top of the hill and ran down to the green). Delighted to say I sank the putt for birdie. What joy!!
As a group, we ate in the clubhouse on two evenings – they have a great chef - food and service were first class. Not bad for a little member owned course on the Inishowen Peninsula near the top of Ireland! If we had a course like it in Dublin, it would compete well with the best, have lots of members and justly attract truckloads of visitors.

Visited November 2012