“A Grand Old Hotel; a Full Irish Breakfast”
Review of The Haven

The Haven
Ranked #7 of 11 Restaurants in Dunmore East
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Haven Hotel is a truly unique venue and we are dedicated to making your time with us special. Set in stunning surroundings in the heart of the beautiful fishing village of Dunmore East, in the Sunny South East we like to think we have something for everyone, We pride ourselves on serving delicious home cooked food and celebrate Irish produce and use products from recognised Quality Assurance Schemes, specialising in Roast Rib of Prime Irish Beef and locally caught seafood. Food is served all day. As a must for music lovers we have live music in the bar most weekends and on the new outdoor stage on Sundays in the summer months. If the weather is good why not have a drink or something to eat outside on our new patio. We host Family Fun Sundays throughout the summer with live music, bouncy castles, ice cream and BBQs. Or simply sit back, relax and enjoy our breathtaking views. Children are especially welcome.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were doing a circle trip out of Waterford when we came upon the Haven Hotel in Dunmore East. Wanting brunch, we went in to check it out. This old hotel sits on beautiful grounds overlooking the ocean, a very pleasant location. Hotel guests were being served in one dining room, but they showed us to another eating area where we were served by ourselves. There was a third, even larger, dining room beyond that.

We had the full Irish - bacon, sausage, black & white (blood & oatmeal) "pudding," broiled tomato, fried egg, and coffee or tea. As with many places, your second coffee is not a re-fill but rather another purchase. There were a lot of pictures of jazz musicians on the wall, many taken in New Orleans. It was a nice start to the day.

heavenDunmoreEast, Manager at The Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Hi there, thank you for your recent review of your visit to The Haven. We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us. We hope you enjoyed your circle trip of Waterford and will be back to see us again soon! Kind regards, Paul Kelly.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my fiancee went to the Haven recently as we do on a regular enough basis. As always we had a great nite. The food was amazing seems like it gets better each time we have a meal there. I had the golden fried chicken wings for a starter, the peppered steak medium rare for a main and Bailey's cheesecake for desert. My fiancee had golden fried chicken wings for a starter aswell, the roast stuffed breast of chicken for main and sticky toffee puding for desert. Service was great. Very polite and helpful. Great experience as always. Greatly recommend it to anyone.

heavenDunmoreEast, Manager at The Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hi Henk, thank you for your review! We are very pleased you enjoyed your recent visit to the Haven. We look forward to seeing you and your fiancée again soon! Kind regards, Paul Kelly.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

On St.Patricks day, a few friends and i went out to dunmore east for the evening. We were late arriving and didn't expect to be able to get food in the village but the haven were very accomodating. I had the pan-fried cod served with mashed potato and seasonal vegetables which was elegantly presented and delicious. My friends were also very pleased with their meals. One had the vegetable curry filled with fresh vegetables and topped with a crisp popadom. We ended up having a good night, enjoying the DJ and a few drinks.

heavenDunmoreEast, Manager at The Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Hi Lorraine, thank you for your recent review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Haven. We aim to serve quality food at all times and we are glad to hear our expectations have been met. We look forward to seeing you and your friends again soon at the Haven. Kinds regards, Paul Kelly.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I recently went to The Haven for a bite to eat with my friend. On arrival we were greeted by a welcoming waitress who brought us to a window table with fabulous views. We chose to eat from the lunchtime snack menu, which i had not come across before. I ordered the feathered burger which was lovely, and hit the spot nicely. What was only meant to be a quick visit turned into an entertaining evening when we choise to stay for The Céilí which i am told happens every Friday night and is supporting the rebuilding of the local church. I will certainly be returning soon.

heavenDunmoreEast, Manager at The Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hi there, thank you for telling us about your experience at the Haven. We are delighted you enjoyed your evening with us. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Paul Kelly.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Where to begin on how bad this place has actually become. Firstly, the good points. The owner (who has recently passed on) had charm and was a well known character. Secondly, The Haven is a beautifully structured building, with fantastic grounds and wonderful views of the park and sea. Lastly, the famous roast beef carvery is one of the best you will ever have (and I am not a fan of carveries). Unfortunately, that is the entirety of the plus points.

I hope the manager reads this as it is not a personal swipe, but rather an annoyance at disgraceful and tired habits. The hotel is falling apart. The place needs a drastic refurbishment. It now looks scruffy and tired. The parking has been disgraceful since the 1980's. Deal with it. It's not like there isn't sufficient land.The restaurant menu is plain, boring and mediocre (nearby bars are better). The carvery (which is at the weekends or can be ordered for large groups) that admittedly uses great quality and flavoursome meat, unfortunately is a rip-off. 20 Euros for carvery fare is a joke. They say its a 3 course meal. But 1 course is the salad bar and they hand you a tiny side plate to collect it yourself, and the third is a selection of really poor desserts (profiteroles, jelly and ice cream, bought in cheesecake etc.)

The management also have the bright idea of expecting you to queue to be served, rather than table service for roast beef you have paid 20 Euros for. Waitresses and waiters were standing idle on the occasion of a christening meal, looking at the customers queuing! Not down to the staff. They are only young and doing as they are told. This has been the norm for years.

On the last occasion, it was an extended family meal. Table service was used as it was evening time. I ordered the beef medium or medium rare (I had been asked by the owners daughter). The rest of the party (approx. 25), had been served their meals. When i asked where mine was, I was barked at, then given well done beef and told that's what they had, tough. Because of the occasion I didn't kick off an argument.

On the prior occasion, my grandfather ordered a whiskey and a drop of water. The Haven use a well for their water and some people find that the water tastes funny. Personally, I don't, but my grandad did. Not being one to complain, he said nothing until I asked him why he wasn't drinking. After encouragement he approached the barman/bar manager, who happens to be a son of the owning family. He replaced the whiskey and provided a Ballygowan, but charged for the replacement whiskey and the water. This was after our party of 12 had sat down and paid for the evening meal! This character isn't thought of in the same regard as his father before him. I wasn't made aware of my Grandad having to pay a second time for the same drink until days later. I've worked in many bars as a young man and never would I have acted in that fashion. Buck up your attitude. It's pathetic. I seriously question the positive reviews for this place(one reviewer reviewed the place twice). They do not echo the general opinion of locals. Fading fast.

heavenDunmoreEast, Manager at The Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hi Neil, we thank you for your recent review. We encourage our customers to keep us informed of their experiences good, or bad at The Haven. We are sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. However, we have not served a carvery for the past 3 years as we have had great success with our “A La Carte” menu. We have also redesigned our menu for the upcoming season starting the 7th of March 2014. In our off season period, we have updated the interior of the hotel, adding a new lease of life to the historical building. We hope you will join us again at The Haven to witness these changes for yourself. Kind regards, Paul Kelly.