“Fawlty Towers move over.....you have competition.....”
Review of The Strand Inn

and 1 more site!
The Strand Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Dunmore East B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed in The Strand Inn at the weekend with some friends celebrating two birthdays within the group. I had raved about it to everyone beforehand and had been there before and highly recommended the place.... Not this time. We had booked the restaurant for dinner for the birthdays as was a wonderful room with lovely food from what I recollected on my previous visit. Arrived to find restaurant closed due to refurb.... Thanks for the call to let us know !! The rooms had been booked since February time along with the restaurant…..no apologies. I asked where would we be seated and the girl said “In the bar area”.... Not good enough. We were then shown our rooms, nice room with view, decided to freshen up after long drive, No Water in hot or cold tap. Was told in the bar that there had been a burst pipe out the front and the water would be back by 6pm, we were ok with that, these things happen, wasn’t their fault. Went to freshen up before dinner around 7pm, again not a drop out of either tap.... Dinner was lovely and waitresses were very nice and pleasant, offered us a bottle of prosecco to compensate for putting us in the bar area. Went back to rooms that night and again no water in either tap. Really really bad service from the Inn not to tell us what was happening or offer us a bottle of water to watch our teeth or remove make-up etc. Next morning same thing, no water, then a trickle came back in the hot tap but so hot you would need a Dr on site to deal with severe scalding.!! One of the girls had to leave early, went down for breakfast and informed a member of staff about the water, she was told we could shower in room 8 or another room if we wished, at this stage we were up and dressed and ready for breakfast and didn't fancy traipsing around the Inn looking for the room and also possibly sharing it with all the other guests that were staying. We had breakfast which was served by lovely lady, packed our bags and checked out. Again, no management on site to deal with the complaints next morning, a lady was left to deal with everyone, and her customer service skills left a lot to be desired !!! After saying we were not going to pay what was agreed for the room, we were offered Euro10.00 off per person, not good enough, running a Bed and Breakfast with no hot or cold water......I don’t want to think how they were coping in the Kitchen with no water…. Basil Fawlty and his team would have done a better job. We all left, glad to have all re-united for the birthday celebrations but happy to get out of the Strand, which was an awful shame as I was so looking forward to going back after my first experience.......

Room Tip: A room with running water :-)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Joey20142014

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The first stay was in June 2012 when there was a massive gale and waves crashing over the seawall into the windows of the restaurant. There are multiple dining and drinking options, very friendly staff, and great food. I have booked my second stay there for June 2014 and can't wait to share this place with more of my family.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed here last Saturday night with my husband and 1 year old. When checking in we were told they were putting us in a room at the back of the hotel as there was a dj playing that night in the bar and we wouldn't here it at the back. On the contrary as the loud music went on until 1.30am and we could here it loud and clear! When I called to book they could have advised of the disco as I mentioned my 1year old. I have no complaints about the room and the food was average. I would not recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank TippGirl1
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I cannot say enough about this hotel, it's truly wonderful. The staff and owners are so friendly and welcoming, the food was fabulous. We had the most beautiful room in the hotel with a sea view and there was a separate space in the room for our teenage daughter to sleep in. The view was stunning, the village itself is picturesque. We hope to visit this hidden gem again during the summer

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17, great for older children
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Wonderful night away. Very friendly and helpful staff. Food excellent and we had a beautiful room overlooking the sea. Even after a hard time after the recent storms The Strand Inn were so welcoming and friendly. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank maisey23
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Recently has my hen weekend in The Strand Inn. I really, really enjoyed it. The staff were lovely and very accomodating. We stayed in the bar late on both nights and they never rushed us. The food was fabulous. The atmosphere was very relaxed. I think everyone on the hen will be returning at some stage!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Heard the strand was open for food when the whole village was in darkness. The server said the chef was using gas and candlelight.well fair ball to him, had the monkfish, lovely and my partner had the sea bass. We,all be back again , keep up the good cooking

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort
Dooley's Hotel Waterford
Dooley's Hotel Waterford
#4 of 12 in Waterford

Been to The Strand Inn? Share your experiences!