“Storybook stay”
Review of The Haven Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunmore East
The Haven Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunmore East
“Storybook stay”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The beauty of this place is unexplainable! The food is comforting and fresh. The staff is down to earth and welcoming. Sharon was just a doll-we loved chatting with her! This jewel is in the perfect little quaint town! Love it!!! A must stay!

• Stayed February 2013
6 Thank Jmeoneill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I have happily stayed often in the Haven when I was a frequent visitor to the Waterford area in the late 80s and indeed found that it lived up to its evocative name. Accommodation and food were always consistently good, the staff were welcoming and I always looked forward with pleasure to my visits there. And no wonder. The location is spectacular and one of the best in the area and with its eastwards facing aspect one has a grandstand view of the mouth of the Suir river and Wexford across the water.
On this visit however, I found that things had changed quite a lot and mostly not for the better.
On checking in I went to the bar for a well-earned drink after a long day’s work in nearby Waterford and casually asked the young lady for a glass Sauvignon Blanc. A young man, obviously hearing this came out from the bar and told me that they did not do that particular wine by the glass or quarter bottle but that I could have any one of a number of alternatives, none of which I wanted. All I had asked for was a glass of perhaps the most commonly available varietal white wine in this country and here I was being told I could not have it! There is a not-too-faint recollection here of Fawlty Towers (referred to in the business as the FT syndrome). When I asked the guy to open the bottle anyway he was a little taken aback and when I started arguing with him firmly and politely he capitulated and with a remark, which included an inappropriate Anglo-Saxon expletive of the four-letter variety, poured me a glass there and then. This is the first time in my many years of travelling that I have come upon such a bizarre and singularly unhelpful attitude. (This man has an attitude problem and appears to be in the wrong business. This was commented on also by a previous reviewer.) I felt like leaving the place on the spot but I could not contemplate the thoughts of driving back into Waterford to find another hotel for the night.
I dined later that evening in the restaurant and ordered the paté which was really very good followed by a large portion of cod, also delicious. I even managed to extract another glass of SB from the staff and then another, and ended up by finishing the bottle which was not a very good idea given that I had a full schedule of work ahead of me the following day! The cod came with a portion of mushy peas, which seemed so much at variance with the delicate nature of the fish; I asked to have it removed from the plate. I have no problem with that side dish when the main course is the robust cod deep-fried in batter but with a slab of delicately cooked fillet, no thank you! The music, supposed to be background, was not conductive to calm dining and I had to ask at least four times to have the volume turned down to a reasonable level. I would have preferred to have had it turned off altogether.
The bedroom too had a touch of the FTs about it. This had to be the smallest room in the hotel and if it wasn’t I would not like to see the smaller one. It was very narrow room with a double bed placed at an odd angle against the front window, which left very little room on the side for getting in and out of bed. I wondered why, since I was the only one staying here, I had been placed in this rather cramped space. It was room 3 if you are interested. There were too many pillows and cushions on the bed, all but one of which had to be removed in order to get into the bed. However there was one redeeming feature, the luxury of an electric blanket, which I was glad to use in a season which we laughingly call “summer”!
However the bed itself was comfortable and I had a good night’s sleep. Thank God for small mercies.
The following morning I had breakfast in that delightful, old-fashioned breakfast room and with the sun shining in the window at least it looked like a summer’s day from the inside. The meal was excellent with the Irish fry cooked to perfection. With some home-made brown bread and a very good coffee I was set up for the day.
However in spite of the good food in this hotel I shall not be returning any time soon.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 3
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gretry
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 6 May 2013

amazing sticky toffee pudding .... best ever.. views from the restaurant add to the ambience together with great selection of music... great selection on the menu and all at reasonable prices.... friendly staff ... beautiful location

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I Planned a romantic trip for 2 as a treat for my partner, to The Haven, and was not disappointed! It was our first time to stay there, and we will definelty be going back.
I had asked for a room with a sea view and asked for a vase of tulips to be placed in it. The room we got had a magnificent sea view, and the tulips were everywhere! In the room, the restaurant and even the hotel toilets!

The Kelly family and their team know how to run a hotel, make their guests feel welcome and keep them content with fabulous food and an excellent wine list. In the hotel bar you will find Jason Kelly and his team on-hand to serve you in lovely surroundings. The bar is a friendly place where staff, guests and locals all chat and mingle together, We had 2 great nights, made new friends and shared a dance or two across the bar floor!

Janine Kelly will greet you first thing in the morning with a breakfast,fit for a lord, served in the morning room, drenched with sunlight through magnificent windows.Fab room to start your day in!!

We would recommend this hotel to families and couples alike as it has a real good feel factor about it and you feel right at home in their house. To Janine, Jason and Gary, keep her stocked with Bombay Gin, thank you for a lovely weekend and we will be back soon!

All the best for the 2013 season from Nichola & Neil,
Dublin.

Room Tip: Choose the 2nd floor, front of house if you want magnificent sea views!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neil D
North East
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We were blessed with beautiful spring sunshine which meant the views across the Celtic Sea were particularly beautiful. Dunmore East is a treat of an escape and the friendliness of the Kelly family who own the Haven would bring me back. Waking up to the sight of the sea was fabulous but the rooms were pretty basic. The dinners however were far from basic. The fresh pan fried fish would take some beating. Locals and visitors packed the bar - we enjoyed Guinness and a good Rioja. Really relaxing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bevcarriage
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Arrived at 8-30 pm from the Rosslare ferry via Passage East - great journey and a friendly welcome on a cold Sunday night. Room lovely and warm and ideal for a one night stay. Ordered a chowder and Beamish and was not disappointed! Locals in bar friendly but I needed a good sleep for an early start to drive to Kinsale. Good rest and awoke to a sunny day and a lovely view. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty and set me up for the day. Wished I could have stayed longer, but had work to do. Really enjoyed the brief stay and the warm welcome. Good value for money, great food and beautiful views. Grateful thanx to Janine and family team.

Room Tip: Good view from my room over coast, upstairs would be even better.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Scarletontour
kilkenny
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We (family 2 adults 3 children) have just returned from a fantastic stay at The Haven hotel Dunmore East.Our children were so excited booking into the Haven , they popped out of the car and their faces filled with wonder as they ran up the hill through the playground. Meanwhile we were warmly welcomed back by the Kelly family and shown to our cosy spotless rooms. It was truly great to be back and farmilarise ourselves with the lovely bar and enjoy the great food in the restaurant . The next morning was the icing on the cake breakfast sea views and freshly prepared great food cooked to order nothing seems to much to ask for 100% to all at the haven
for true hospitality value food and customer service. Looking forward to a longer stay next time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Arthurstown
Waterford Marina Hotel
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford

Been to The Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!