“Wonderful Lakeside location.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mergozzo
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Lakeside location.”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

All that's best in this sort of place. Friendly atmosphere, very good food, generous breakfast, lovely comfortable rooms.

Plenty of space to stretch out on private balconies and raised sun terrace, very comfortable reading room, noting too much trouble for the very helpful staff.

Good easy safe private parking.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are perfect !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DEXREE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hebrew first
Zwalm, Belgium
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We know this hotel for more than 15 years. It is a good stop if you com from north Europe and you want to visit Italy.
The kitchen is outstanding. Laura is a fine person who loves to cook with fresh local products. Her husband can give you more information for the wine. If you can sit outdoors you feel like in heaven.
The staff speaks also French and English.
The hotel stay on the side of Lake Mergozzo and only 5 min walk from the town.
The hotel itself is very clean but small. It has also a parking for your car. It takes only 5 min from Mergozzo to Lake Maggiore.
They also have apartments.

Room Tip: If possible you ask for a room vieuw on the Lake.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have been regular visitors to the restaurant at La Quartina for the last six years and have consistently enjoyed it. The setting on the edge of lake Mergozzo is lovely, so a table on the terrace is a must. When we arrived for dinner the owners greeted us warmly, remembering us from our visits in previous years. The food was excellent, the duck salad starter and the primi of ravioli stuffed with aubergine being worthy of particular mention. The wine list is also extensive and offers good quality wines at reasonable price points.

Overall, we had a delightful evening and shall certainly be back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SixNineOne
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This food is incredible - That’s all there is to say.

I didn’t stay in the hotel so I cannot comment on rooms etc.
But the restaurant food is really special, and the location is hard to beat. The salad alone was worth the journey and the tortellini…. I could cry that I’m no longer in the area to stop for a plate.

So good we went twice in a week.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard H
Locarno, Ticino, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I've been frequenting this restaurant for 5 years, not for the service but for its location and food. To say that the owner is "aloof" is an understatement. Even after a dozen or so visits and many very generous tips, he never gave the slightest inclination of having recognized us in any way.
This evening, my friend and I decided to have dinner at this restaurant and that's where the problems started. Our white wine was extremely warm. It certainly wasn't refrigerated, which is inexcusable in any case, much less when it's 33C outside. Our appetizers were not bad but the main course was another story. My friend's fish came breaded, when there was no mention of this on the menu. We both asked for no potatoes only vegetables. We both got potatoes. I ordered the rooster, which was actually a deep-fried sparrow, by the look and size. It was so dry, it was almost impossible to cut through or chew. I asked for some sauce but was told there IS NO SAUCE. So I tried to ask for some hot sauce (salsa piccante), which is available in every single restaurant in Italy, and the waiter brought me salt. I then asked again and they proceeded to bring me mustard. When I told the owner that I don't want mustard, he was yelling at me through the whole restaurant, with his back towards me as he walked back into the kitchen. I have never seen such rudeness in all of my life. Just when you think that things could not get any worse.... wait... they did. In my dry sparrow/rooster plate, I first found a nasty piece of plastic. I put it aside and continued eating. I didn't say a word. Then, I take another bite and I realize I'm chewing on a piece of paper. (I'm sure you know that feeling if it ever happened to you!) I put both the paper and the plastic on the side of my plate and told the waitress about it. They looked at me like I was some kind of an idiot and this had nothing to do with them. As we were leaving, the owner took off hiding across the street (probably to get some more warm wine out of his car) and as he saw as walking back to our car, he quickly looked away, not even acknowledging us. No apologies, nothing. Never, ever again!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Right from the start I'll say there are both good and bad things about this hotel and on the whole I think the good out weigh the bad.

I'll start with the positives - by and large the hotel is in a great location on the edge of the picture-perfect little village of Mergozzo - and as you sit eating breakfast on the decking over-looking the tranquil lake and mountain beyond - you'll think you've found a tiny pocket of heaven - so, as I say, for all the less positive things I think this is makes up for most.

The hotel is split into two - the main hotel and a few doors away the annex - I didn't stay in the main hotel - but friends did and from what I can gather the better rooms are in the annex.

We had a suite and the rooms are large with a big big bathroom, dressing area, living/dining/kitchen ares and bedroom with either two small balconies or a little sunbathing area and when the weather is nice it's an ideal place to sit looking over the lake.

But the rooms are basic - no air con which makes them sweat boxes at night and here lies one of the problems - depsite what appears a tranquil location - it does get quite noisy so it makes it hard to sleep with the windows open. There is an extraordinarily noisy train that passes to the rear of the hotel - not too often but mainly at the wrong times - first thing and late at night. Also the hotel is directly on a noisy, fast if not that busy road which makes the ground floor rooms noisier than those above but even higher up if you have the windows open you get traffic sound. Also there is a children's payground and 'beach'/grass area that get quite crowded and noisy fairly early and being next to a camp site it's a popular meeting place for teenagers to hang out at night - again all noisy if you have to sleep with windows open - which you do because of lack of air-con.

The beds are two singles pushed togther and really not very impressive (more like a hostel) and the showers are downright cheap with horrible plastic folding doors, there's no electric kettle or teabags/coffee etc, no free water, cheap bathroom freebies, thin, worn towels - all these things make the room feel as I say 'basic'.

However, the breakfast is wonderful, absoultely perfect, fresh thick pear juice, thinly sliced hams and salami, fresh baked bread, home-made fruit tarts, big brown eggs, strong italian coffee, local cheeses and an amazing two inch thick slab of dark rich chocolate just waiting to be taken chunks from all in amazing surroundings so however noisy or disturbed your night was this morning delight makes it all disappear.

The restuarant during the rest of the day is a touch on the pricey side but not massively so but does a mean porcini pasta and ice-cold beer.

Although in fairness the one thing Mergozzo does have is no shortage of good restaurants so you wont starve.

Another small negative is that, as I mentioned above, the hotel does face directly on to a road - with NO pavement - so it's a little hairy walking in to and out of hotel as it's on a bit of a blind corner and we all know how italian love their fast driving we had several close shaves and I wouldn't want to make walk with younger kids.

One lovely thing is the hotel is perched on th edge of a lake and the crystal clear waters entered via a gentle sandy sloping beach make it impossible not to be lured in so take your swimming trunks.

I would say having stayed in Italy many times - I have never had a great room so the whole you could probably do a lot worse - especially if you beleive in location location location - ps also take mozzie spray.

Room Tip: head for the middle floor of the annex
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank iloveglamping
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We loved the location of this small hotel - by Lake Mergozzo and just a short stroll up from the sleepy town of Mergozzo. The hotel owners were very friendly and helpful, allowing us a late checkout and use of their computer/printer. The highlight though was the restaurant, which had a lovely terrace overlooking the lake and served very good food. That said, it was very warm and humid when we were visiting and there was no aircon. Our room was also very small with little ventilation though we saw other much larger rooms with views of the lake and a balcony. We will certainly stay at this hotel again, but we will choose our room carefully.

• Stayed July 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mergozzo
Hotel Carillon
Hotel Due Palme
Hotel Due Palme
#2 of 7 in Mergozzo
Bed and Breakfast La Casa nel Bosco

Been to Hotel La Quartina? Share your experiences!