“One of my local favourites”
Review of La Barca di Ciro

La Barca di Ciro
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Pulsano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Stellenbosch
“One of my local favourites”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Top quality food , and friendly hosts , extensive wine lists and recently upgraded facilities . Things to watch out for though are having the owner select food for you rather than choosing from a dedicated menu - small portions still add up and get pricey . Also , if you reject a wine recommended by them after tasting , just be sure it does not end up on the bill ... Otherwise pricey but very good

Visited September 2012

• Turkish first
Olympia, Washington
“A pretty spot but be on your toes”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The place we wished to dine was closed at lunch time so we said, "Let's find a spot with a view of the sea." Certainly this fit that bill with a nice water view and large covered open area.

The proprietor began asking if we wanted antipasto with no discussion of what we'd be getting or paying. That was kind of a clue, and I asked to see menus. When he asked about wine I inquired about the wine list, but he then asked if we wanted white, and when I said we did he shrugged and said, "Is local wine." We've been drinking lovely local wines a decent prices so I didn't ask further. When the waiter brought it we were not offered a taste; it was opened, the waiter smelled the cork, and poured two glasses. It was way too gold and tasted old and off to me (it was a 2010) so I sought out the wine list. Out of maybe 20 choices starting at 10 euros before getting to the 15 euro level, he had "selected" for us a 15 euro chardonnay that was way past its peak if it ever had one! It is hard not to feel like he saw us as dumb Yanks who wouldn't know the difference or didn't have enough Italian to make a fuss, but either way chose to pawn off an inferior wine he was stuck with. I sought him out and said it wasn't good and asked for a different bottle (@ 12 euros), to which he promptly agreed. Much better.

The rest of the meal was OK and the place was very attractive, but prices were on the high side for food that wasn't outstanding.

It isn't a place I'd recommend unless your Italian is good enough to monitor each transaction and you pay close attention. Not a situation I relish when paying $100 for lunch for two.

• Visited May 2012