“A true Tuscan Villa experience”

Castello di Vicarello
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Castello di Vicarello sets the highest standard for fulfilling the Tuscan visitor's dream experience. Owners Carlo and Aurora have transformed this piece of historic architecture into an artistic gem. The villa offers private, antique laden and well-appointed accommodations (we enjoyed two apartments that can be adjoined upon request). With every turn of the head the vistas are simply beautiful. There is also a wonderful freedom up there (and it is way up there in the Tuscan hills). We roamed through the vineyards and completely enjoyed Carlo's elegant blends, quizzing ourselves on vintages and varietals. We opted to take a cooking lesson with Aurora and now understand the true meaning of "joy of cooking". The property's olive oil is sensational! Like a good fairy tale, It was difficult to leave.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear David,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at Castello di Vicarello.

It was very special time for us as well to welcome you, your wife and mother in law, spending evenings in the kitchen sharing cooking secrets while tasting the amazing red wine of Mr. Baccheschi.
They were some very special days for everyone.
We thank you very much for your kind words and we look very much forward the next opportunity to welcome you in Castello di Vicarello again.

My very best regards to you all

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I have been to Castello di Vicarello three times in the last 4 years and it is magical! Aurora and Carlo Baccescchi Berti , are the example of the perfect Tuscan husband and wife proprietors. They have brought their dignified worldly style to this little gem in the Tuscan Hills. The decor, the fresh quality of the food and most especially the wine produced by Carlo in their own vineyards is superb. I have bought cases of it through the years. Aurora on the other hand is often in the kitchen creating the most delicious menu for her guests and attending to their every need during their stay. It's the perfect match in a fairytale setting.
Bravo to Carlo and Aurora!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Teresa,
I would like to thank you for taking the time and post your opinion on your stays at Castello di Vicarello.
It is very important for us to get to know the opinion of our guests as it gives us the chance to evaluate our doing and always strive to improve the quality of our service.
Castello di Vicarello is a unique place and we try in our everyday life to bring the old feeling of the Castello and combine it with modern services in order to provide to all our guest an experience hard to forget.

I would like to thank you for your kind words and I will pass them and share them with the rest of te team.

We look forward to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The most beautiful location in a slightly off the beaten track (call it almost remote) part of Tuscany is where you will find this Castello. The experience - like no other. A sophisticated traveler will understand that this is the new luxury that all the great writers and thinkers are speaking about as a zeitgeist of luxury. Dinner at the host's table, walks around a vineyard that produces a few thousand wines only, hand picked decor that's unique and personal, a cooking lesson in the host's own kitchen learning to make pasta the way she loves to make it for her family. And hanging out on the sofa with the family and their dog - perhaps eating a tart baked for breakfast, drinking coffee and laughing about life and everything in between.

Guests will feel like they are truly home, home in the real sense of the work. A place where you are most yourself, most comfortable and most at ease. Bellisimo.

It's special and unique and will be a treasure forever.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Daniel,
thank you very much for your comment and for your kinds words.
It is very important for us to know the opinion of our guests, these are the best tools to our hands to review our performances and to improve the quality of ou service.
By being a small, unique place, we work hard to give individual, special attention to each guest.
Spending time talking to them, exchange life experiences and get to know each other is what makes us different from others.
As the owners always say, this is our private home that we open to "Friends" and it is our biggest victory when we manage to achieve that.
It was lovely to have you staying with us and we trully hope to have the honor to welcome you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

After spending five amazing days at Castello di Vicarello in September 2013, I felt compelled to write this review, as it is not something I typically do. I have been to Italy several times, each trip was different and unique and always enjoyable. This time was the first time, however, I stayed in one location for so long, five days. At first I thought that might be too long, as the location was very remote and a good distance from any of the major Italian cities. This time I traveled with my sister rather than my husband and we had a mission for this trip. Firstly, of course was fun and of equal importance was to indulge our mutual passion for food and cooking. So in addition to staying at Castello di Vicarello, we also signed up for four days of cooking lessons with the proprietor Aurora Baccheschi Berti.
We arrived at the Castello in the late afternoon, it was raining. We were taken to our "suite" the Sassi Suite which should have been called the Sassi Villa, as it was very large! It was beautiful! It was elegant, certainly, but it was also very rustic yet cozy. The grounds were breathtaking even with rain! When the rain stopped one hour after our arrival, we walked the grounds, gardens and vinyard, we quickly realized that this place was like no other. But we realized far more than that in the coming days. Castello di Vicarello was not just asthetically beautiful. The staff was warm, friendly and extremely accommodating. Everything was done extremely well. While on the one hand we definitely felt pampered, we also felt like we were in someone's home, a very unique balancing act, that is done well at Castello di Vicarello.
Our cooking lessons daily with Aurora were the highlight for me. She was intent on giving as much technique as possible. She is a very skilled chef and has written a wonderful cookbook called "My Tuscan Kitchen".... I referred to it as "our text book"! We learned so much and are still cooking the many dishes she taught us, me on the east coast and my sister on the west coast.
I hope I am able someday to visit Castello di Vicarello again. It truly is a paradise like no other!
Sincerely
Joyce S

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Mrs. Joyce,

Thank you very much for taking the time and leave your feedback on your recent stay with us.
This is veryi mportant for us as it is the only and most powerful way to evaluate our doing and improve the level and quality of our service.
You had such kind and lovely words for us and I will make sure to pass your message onto the rest of the team as are opinions like yours that give us the strenght to go on in our everyday dedication to our guests.

It was lovely to welcome and hosting you and your sister.
You cooking classes were so fun to see and I am happy that we were able to provide to you and your sister an amazing time.

If you ever plan to come back to Castello di Vicarello, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation.

Our best regards

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My family was lucky to have a wonderful vacation in Italy this summer. Although the itinerary did not originally include Castello di Vicarello, just the big cities, we had great fortune to have friends staying who we wanted to see. We had planned for 1 night until I received a 911 email from my friend (who had already arrived) stating "you have to stay longer - this place is amazing." Trusting, we made reservations for a another night.

When we arrived, beautiful Aurora met our family in the drive and escorted us to our cottage, Villa Chiesina. The decor, pool and view were beyond breathtaking. Every inch was thought out and perfect. There was nothing missed - true work of art. From the sun hats to the table settings - absolutely artful and pristine. It was truly exciting just to wander around. The food was delicious and authentic. We have 2 small children who had a blast swimming and running around. They were as welcome as we were. I didn't want to leave!

We stayed at some very fancy hotels throughout Italy and not one stands out in my memory as Castello di Vicarello. When I look back at vacation pictures, I always go back to our 3 relaxing and wonderful days at Castello di Vicarello. Aurora and Carlo were incredibly warm and personable. I hope to see them in NYC at some point. Or even better, back in Italy! Thanks for creating such an amazing place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Carolyn,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on your stay at Castello di Vicarello.
We keep in great consideration the feedbacks from our guests as they are the most powerful tools at our hands to evaluate our performances and keep improving the quality of our service.
I will make sure to pass your kinds words onto the rest of the team as it is from the appreciation of our guests that we take the energy to go on and master ourself.

Are very vivid in our memory the beautiful days we had the pleasure to host you at Castello di Vicarello.
It was amazing to see the love and harmony you have in your family and tangible in the perfect education of your lovely kids. It clear they are growing up in the perfect family enviropment.

We trully hope to have the great pleasure to welcome you again in the nearest future and please when the time comes, do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation.

Our best regards to the family.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We travel extensively and only use the finest and most outstanding hotels, cruise lines and restaurants. We obtain expensive, independent travel advice to help with our travel research.

My wife had purchased the cookbook "My Tuscan Kitchen" - authored by Aurora Berti, the proprietor and owner of the Castello di Vicarello - and this made us interested in going to "The Castle," as we so call it. We wanted a beautiful location and unique experience in Tuscany to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday. Our plan was - after we left Villa d' Este on Lake Como (we had a corner suite facing the lake) - we would drive to Tuscany. We chose "The Castle" because it was NOT a Villa d'Este-type place, but something equal in important different ways.

We wanted great food, we wanted great views of the Tuscan countryside, we wanted quiet, peace and tranquility, we wanted to immerse ourselves in the Tuscan experience, we wanted a unique property like this original Castle, we wanted the opportunity to share cooking classes with an outstanding chef/proprietor, we wanted to feel like we were part of their extended Italian family, and we wanted to feel "special." Castello di Vicarello met - and exceeded - all of our wishes and dreams. A real dream come true. It was so wonderful that we did not have any desire to leave the property to "explore" the surrounding area.

Upon our arrival we received a warm and gracious welcome from the Staff as they met us at our auto to take our luggage to our suite. At the Registration Desk we were warmly and graciously greeted by owner, Mrs. Aurora Berti, who escorted us to our suite.

The Sassi Suite was OUTSTANDING - floor-to-ceiling windows looking out at the Tuscan hills. The Castle property provided a 360-degree view of the Tuscan hills. The courtyard where we had breakfast and lunch was beautiful. The food was OUTSTANDING: breakfast, lunch and dinner. One of our dinners was served to us in our own private dining room inside "The Castle" in front of a large wood burning fireplace. On the table were red rose petals, candles were lit, fine wine and unbelievable, exquisite food - along with personalized service. We cannot say enough good things about our server - we wanted to "adopt" him. Just when we think that it doesn't get much better than this - IT DOES!!! After dinner, my wife and I left the dining table and walked about 8 feel to two large, stuffed, cozy chairs that were right in front of the blazing fire. Add more great wine - and there are no words to describe the warm, wonderful feelings that we had.

A chaise lounge was directly in front of our suite facing both the infinity pool and the Tuscan Hills. We spent much time there just reading and relaxing. Staff provided sun umbrellas and water and offered to obtain refreshments.

Regarding service: Staff respected your privacy and your solitude, so they were not continually "in your face" - however, should you ask for anything, it was provided immediately - and with a smile.

Sharon's Tuscan Kitchen experience:

We enjoyed two incredible days of private cooking classes with Mrs. Berti, who is a most elegant, beautiful lady - as well as an incredibly talented chef - and with a keen sense of humor. It was one of the most delightful experiences ever! We had such fun! And what delicious meals we made from her wonderful cookbook, "My Tuscan Kitchen" (which you may purchase there or in any bookstore or on Amazon.com.) We have made her meals at home with many raves from guests - FABULOUS! We loved the "hands-on" experience of working with Mrs. Berti - she is AMAZING! ALSO - we had the bonus of enjoying the company of Beth, the photographer of her cookbook - a beautiful and amazing young lady.

Her kitchen is awesome - and so comfortable to work in (with her assistants always nearby). Although we were in a private class, other guests were free to observe, so that even made it more special - though they never interfered with our unique and special experience. We actually helped prepare the dinner for that evening - from the hors d'oeuvres to the main course to dessert. Carlo also joined us to help, and added his fun sense of humor to the experience! He also owns the family winery, and his wine selection for dinner was excellent - which enhanced the dining experience. (A day without wine is like a day without sunshine - right???)

Aurora and Carlo - Proprietors: They both made us feel like we were family. We spent much time with them sharing conversations about life and family. It was like being guests in their own home - a most unique and special experience that we will always treasure.

Staff: Delightful people - always attentive and, again, we felt like we were members of their extended family. Again - not "in our face" - but always there if we wanted/needed them.

We plan to return many times in the future, and will add a few extra days because we loved it so much. There are really no words to do the special Berti family justice - we feel very Blessed that we "found" them.

Henderson, NV - USA

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
castellodivicarello, Direttore at Castello di Vicarello, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Mr. Robert,

we would like to thank you for taking the time and post your opinion regarding your recent stay with us.

We keep in high consideration the opinion of our guests as they are the most powerful tools at our hands to valuate our perfomrances and to improve the quality of our standards and service.

It is with passion, love and dedication that everyday we try our best to provide the most amazing stay to all our guests and is from opinion like yours that we take the energy to keep going and get better.

It was a real pleasure having you to stay with us and we trully hope to have the endless pleasure to welcome you again real soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

There is a famous song which goes, " I left my heart in San Francisco" Well, I have been home from Castello di Vicarello only 3 weeks and I am still telling everyone that I left my Heart at Castello di Vicarello. I spent 5 beautiful days there. It truly was the most Sensual, Mystical, Magical, Exotic, and Breathtakingly Beautiful place I have ever been! It gave me true peace of mind.

Vicarello sits atop a mountain surrounded by vineyards with views as far as the eye can see. I have to say the place itself is imposing and different from anywhere I have ever stayed; it is romantic, warm, homey, beautifully furnished and very comfortable. The owners and staff made me feel at home, like a guest in their home. They couldn't have been more accommodating.

The food was fresh, inventive and delicious!!! Breakfast was served outdoors with beautiful homemade breads, pastries, fresh fruit baskets besides making anything else I wanted. I always had eggs. Every detail, down to the place settings was beautiful and inviting. The Dinner Setting was different everyday.

I took cooking classes while there and learned a lot!! I have bought the cookbook, "My Tuscan Kitchen" and have made many dishes from it. It is one of the best cookbooks I own. Everything I have made has been successful and brings me back to Vicarello. I wrote a blog of my trip and refer to it often as I like to re-live the feeling I had while there. (twosisterscookin.blogspot.com) I did not want to leave.

I arrived with a tear and left with more tears. There are many places in this world to visit but this is one that I plan to return to.

Room Tip: Ask for Sassi Suite