“Not impressed at all”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Selb
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Not impressed at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I did not enjoy the stay at this hotel at all. It is right next to the church so bells kept ringing every hour which is not the best way to get a bit of peace and quiet especially if you are longing a good night of sleep.
The room decor is a bit tired but relatively clean and tidy so I could not complain too much about it.
Food was at the best mediocre, not overly expensive either but not cheap enough to indicate the the low standard and quality level of the service you should expect. Breakfast was poor with the ingredients on the cheap side. Overall if you are really hungry try to eat somewhere else.
The car park of the hotel (although advertised differently as a free privite parking) is non-existent. You park at the back of the hotel on a small town square which at least makes you feel uncomfortable about where you are leaving your car. I was not sure it is completely legitimate either.
Although I was staying on my own, I have insisted on a double room and was prepared to pay a 2 people rate as long as I get one DOUBLE not two beds moved together.
I would have fully understood if it was not possible to do as long as it was mentioned to me at the time of the booking. However it was not and I was misled that I was getting a proper double bed (otherwise I would have booked just a single room) until I got to hotelchecked in and was unpleasantly surprised.
Still all of this was not enough to make me complain until I finally checked out the following morning and found out that I am being charged for 2 breakfasts just because I was staying in the double room. My complaints got no results and I gave up on further discussion. I have full understanding of the current economic climate and the fact that it is harsh on all especially small businesses to survive, but it does not give the right to anyone to make their guests feel ripped off.
That is why I felt duty and obligation to report my general unhappiness so the future guests either know what to expect or just simply avoid this place altogether.
Shame, it could have been so pleasant stay in this small Bavarian town, but instead left me with a lot of bitterness.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank smox1971

Solo
  • Polish first
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

If you are ever in Selb, Germany (and you should make this a “must-see” stop), be sure to stay at the Hotel LOUiS. It is efficiently run by a husband and wife team. She takes care of the checking in and out, as well as hostess and waitress in the hotel’s restaurant.

The rooms are freshly painted and the bathrooms have been updated. We had dinner in the hotel’s restaurant (The husband is the chef.), and the food is delicious as well as plentiful servings. The breakfast buffet (included in the room rate) was extremely satisfying with typical German foods.

I also feel I need to write about Selb. It is a small village along Germany’s Porcelain Road that has factory outlets from many of Germany’s best porcelain manufacturers like Hutschenreuther, Rosenthal and Villeroy and Bosch. They are housed in two large, multi-level manufacturing buildings. It’s worth the stop in Selb….stay at Hotel LOUiS and shop for porcelain.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank traveler2sons
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selb
Hotel Schmidt
Gasthof Turm
Gasthof Turm
#1 of 1 in Schoenwald
Schades Wohlfuehlhotel

Been to Hotel LOUiS? Share your experiences!