“Magic on the table”
Review of La Candela

La Candela
Reserve with
La Candela is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Valdemorillo
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Madrid, Spain
“Magic on the table”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

One thing straight: this restaurant has nothing to do with the vast majority of eateries out there. It puts to shame most of the places I have visited in the recent past.

I decided to come here following an article listing the 10 chefs in Madrid to watch out for. Valdemorillo is indeed an unlikely destination but do make the effort to visit this restaurant. Please do it. For the celebration of your life.

We booked on a rainy friday night on St Valentine´s Day. Arrived sort of early to a two-floor building with a tapas bar downstairs and the restaurant upstairs.

The decoration I would define as "winter-hut meets retro living room". Quite cosy and only 6-8 tables to have enough breathing space as we like.

Service throughout is top notch. We were greeted at the stairs (and waved goodbye by the chef Samy himself who was charming and down-to-earth), helped with umbrellas and coats and made welcome. Dishes well explained, questions answered, no stiff lip, friendly approach all over, relaxed atmosphere... best marks.

Now, I will not focus on the menu as it changes every week. This simple detail of changing the menu based on seasons and market availability, is something that since I visited Kyoto for kaiseki delights years ago, means to me that whoever is behind the kitchen applies passion and a love for what he does. And that clearly transpired during the menu.

The whole Menu Gastronomico experience is .... hmmm the definition I choose is "best quality with a fine hint of exotism presented to excite your senses". Every dish has got a twist.

You must have probably tasted spring rolls, dumplings, haddock, chicken kebab, squid, oxtail before but the way Samy interprets the dish and bestows it with his personality is awesome. Hibiscus, lime, strawberries, thai spices, wakame, rocket, black olives, time, space, shapes.... gosh, my appetite is giving me goosebumps!!

You will be surprised several times during this food festival (3+ hours for us!) and a smile opens up wider and wider as every dish is delivered. I think I have only been this amazed by a menu 2-3 times in my life.

Maridaje de vinos (plus a locally brewed beer) is a must. Why? They are fun. They are good ambassadors to the dishes (particularly the Toro wine) and you enjoy generous servings (I hate when restaurants are tight with wine).

Desserts -two of them- are sublime too.

You pay 45€ per head plus 18€ for wine, which take my word for it, it's a total bargain. You would happily pay twice/thrice that price in downtown Madrid.

This restaurant is special. Well done, Samy, keep it going!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Boxy987

Paris, France
“Looking for a great creative restaurant outside Madrid?”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just take your time to dine out in the mountains area, in the north of Madrid. "La Candela" in Valdemorillo (small village at 30 minuts from the capital) is what you are looking for. New dishes, great ambience, young staff. With your partner or with friends, that's a good spot for different occasions. My advice: let the chef suggest your dinner !

• Visited July 2013