“Best Little Pension”

Pension O Meson Novo
Ranked #1 of 3 Ordes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Walking the Camino - Ferrol to Santiago - in July with the hot sun, 30+ k with steep hills and only one cafe in the whole distance we were ready to stop. Not much choice and on a main road but Meson Novo was the best welcome, wonderful food and wine, all you need in a room and, all in all, the best stop we had on the Camino. Wonderful hosts; felt like leaving family in the morning. Does not get any better than that.

Room Tip: There are only 9 rooms. Book ahead.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 July 2014

A small group of us walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago in June as “caracoles”, meaning we had short walks each day of 8 – 15 km. This resulted in the opportunity to stay at many different family-run establishments along the way, which ended up being a highlight of the trip.

O Meson Novo is a must-stay while on the Camino Ingles. We opted to finish for the day at Bar Julia, having pre-arranged with Antonio (son) to be picked up there and brought back to the same spot in the morning. Our group of 7 required two trips, so it is a time consuming endeavor for them to include the pickup / drop off service in the room rate, but one that is so greatly appreciated! This family truly cares about the pilgrims that come to stay with them.

The rooms are the most spacious of our trip. My room (#3) had a double bed, sofa, armoire and writing desk, in a very elegant French style. The en suite bathroom was also very spacious and redone nicely. Everything was spick and span. The wash line out front was very convenient for clothes drying.

One evening I had a delicious dinner of pulpo and tortilla Española and the next night we had a simple, hearty, homemade group dinner with the mother and father doting over us to make sure everything was perfect. And it was. The little empanadillas they served as tapas one afternoon were so delicious, I asked for a snack of them to take with as we left on our walk, which I enjoyed immensely later in the day. Excellent food, service and stay.

Room Tip: Room rates are per person, so a great deal for single travelers. The pick up / drop off service fro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank MyLifeOnVacation
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed there for one night walking the camino Ingles. We felt there very comfortable. The rooms are very clean, the elder couple and their son very friendly. You feel at home.
We had dinner with 6 other guests from USA and Australia, it was perfect. The next day, when we paid, we have been ashamed, that the great dinner only costed 10 Euros per person. In summary, this hotel was the best hotel on the whole camino and I think the rating of 5* above is not enough.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JNK2013
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights whilst walking the Camino Ingles. We were extremely appreciative of their interest and care - from picking us up and dropping us off on the road, to their welcome and looking after us. Home cooked food, good beer and wine, a comfortable room. What more could you want.... a picnic lunch for the following day - no problem!.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed for a night (24 April) while walking the Camino Ingles.

After a very long, tiring stage from Betanzos in terrible weather with hail and strong winds for the last 2 kilometres, I finally made it to this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable and the bar was warm and friendly with good wine (much needed!) available for 2 Euros a glass. I was so exhausted that I zonked out and slept very well, missing dinner in the process, but getting a good rest in a comfortable bed.

The staff were friendly and spoke English. The rate for the night is very good. I would definitely recommend this for other pilgrims on the Camino. But pilgrims....if walking all the way from Betanzos, it is a really tough stage and may be better to get a taxi from bar Julia (closed when I passed by) just after half way and then a taxi back the next morning to break this stage into two parts. It's all detailed on the hotel website.

I forgot I had booked breakfast the next morning and left early without it. Later in the day I got a kind message by email wishing me well and wondering why I hadn't taken a breakfast I had paid for. Very nice people.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank wanderingoff
Reviewed 25 April 2014

After the walk to Bruma just take that extra 1.5km walk and you get the friendliest service on the Camino Ingles. We ate Tapas for dinner but the owner's wife offered to cook dinner, other walkers arranged a lift from and back to the Camino (we walked) so worth looking up the phone number if doing the walk. Great bar atmosphere with the locals and you might get lucky and be there when a Real Madrid game is on.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed one day at the Pension O Meson Novo on my Camino Ingles and the family of Piri and Antonio were very welcoming and spoke good English. This made me stay another night and explored the peaceful surroundings. They supplied an excellent lunch and tapas, nearby there were good eating places. The room have been renovated to a very high standard and excellent bathroom with douche. They were very helpful and very hardworking family.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank joechan

Been to Pension O Meson Novo? Share your experiences!