“Noisy, Uncomfortable & Terrible”

Hotel Aeropuerto Sur
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying in this hotel on a 1 night business trip. My employer booked the hotel for me so I didnt know what to expect until I arrived, Firstly the hotel is off the beaten track in a residential area, the "restaurant" acts as a public bar with a limited menu. A taxi ride is esstential to get to an area with restaurants. The room I stayed in was extremely noisy, not only from the noise from the bar/restaurant downstairs but from Tv's in other rooms, after a couple of hours I had to ask for my room to be changed as sleep was not possible. In addition the lock on my balcony door was broken as was the A/C. After an uncomfortable nights sleep I arrived for breakfast which can only be described as "hostel" like (which is probably an insult to hostels). Little food, no juices, bad coffee..... when I asked the waitress for more juice she told me quite bluntly that whatever food/drinks were out on display was it and if I wanted a juice she would have to charge me....I explained that this was crazy as there was still 2 hours left of "Breakfast service" and there was no orange juice left. She shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Not an nice experience staying here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Newmama2011

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here for just one night on a business trip. I am 20 years old and it was the first time I have travelled alone. Someone else had booked it for me so I didn't know what I was heading into, except they had told me 'Sorry it's not gonna be very nice.' They were wrong. The receptionist couldn't have been more helpful calling taxis to the local town and to the airport for me. My room was clean and spacious with a little balcony , the view was a building site but thats not the hotels fault. I didn't have dinner there , only breakfast so I cant really comment on the food, but the breakfast was lovely, and for the money, was well worth it. The pool was a bit scary to look at but great once you were in and the furniture surrounding it looked new and stylish. There were a lot of men there , I think they treat the bar as their local, but they were harmless and polite. If every time I travel people are as accommodating and friendly as the staff here I will be very lucky. Its the perfect stop off, I don't think I'd go there for a holiday, but its perfect for people that need a few nights, for flight cancelations, business trips, etc.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Rooms ok but no wifi as advertised. Also no free airport shuttle as advertised. Waited over 40 minutes in the restaurant after ordering then was asked if I'd like to eat! Waitress was rude, the portions were tiny and the worst paella I've ever had. Could get better value in Los Cristianos which is actually a more pleasant area to be in and only 12 mins by bus from the airport. At €36 this place was not good value.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 2 September 2011

It's close to the airport and not very expensive. But if you go to Tenerife for beach, ocean swimming, surfing, discos etc.. you'll be totally disappointed. This hotel located in a small residental town far from beach. It takes ~30 min to get there by bus + waiting of bus may be another 30 min.

This hotel can be useful, if you need just to sleep somewhere close to airport. For example, I stayed here while was searching for apartment to rent for a long stay.

The whole hotel is very outdated. It's old-fashioned, rooms and interior needs refurbishing. But it's clean enough, and rooms are good cleaned-up every day. They have got good bar in lobby area, work until late. Parking is not a problem - a lot of space around and free underground parking available.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Oleg_Ivanov
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel as our Easyjet flight was cancelled due to snow (and then the Spanish Air Controller strike, but that's another story!.

It is true it is in a Spanish residential town where they do not speak fantastic English (but, come on, you are in holiday in Spain/Tenerife and expecting everyone to speak English is ignorant and insulting! Learn some Spanish, even enough to order a beer or coffee is better than nothing and will get you MUCH better service and welcome and you will have a much better time!)

However, the staff at the hotel were incredibly helpful and friendly, DO speak good english for all you that can't/won't make the effort, and the owner and his wife could not do more for you.

The food is basic, traditional spanish, but delicious - they do an 8 Euro dinner menu that is very good value as well. Beer is cheap at 1 Euro.

The hotel is very close to the South Airport (about 3 kms) and about the same distance from El Medano beach - which is fantastic, very traditional spanish with lots of delicious tapas at about 50% of the cost of what you would get in Playa De Las Americas which has to be the worst resort on the planet! If you miss this beach, you are mad - having been to Tenerife many, many times in the past, this was a gem to find.

There is a bus stop about 50 yds from the hotel on the roundabout by the dual carriageway. The 111 will take you to the airport (every 30 mins) and the 470 will take you to El Medano - both journeys will cost you 1 Euro (with a Bono card - available from pretty much any newsagent) which is massively cheaper than taxis.

Not a resort hotel, but very convenient for the airport and if you are staying anywhere but Santa Cruz or Playa del Las Americas/Los Cristianos (when you can get 24hr buses) then a good idea for a late flight.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
9  Thank Sossage
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Arriving there we saw teams of guys hanging around every street corner which is scary so go out in company. The hotel had English girl Elizabeth working there most days who was very friendly and kept us in the picture of what to do

The Food: Good hearty spanish food which was better than expected but low quality but we were put there by easyJet after the ash cloud cancelled our flight. The smoking ban has yet to reach the far out area of San Isdro

The Staff: The hotels no# 1 asset . All friendly and the manager was most helpful taking us too and from the beach twice free of charge. Elizabeth did our washing again free and the hotel has free pool air hockey and internet .

Drinks : Excellent and cheap 1 euro for a glass of wine or beer

The area: Run down and local people there hanging around as they are imigrants or unemployed.

Rooms: Basic but clean . though no daily cleaning. and a tv with no english channels which would drice you mad

You would not go there normally but we were there with many other easyjet travellers and we gathered together to make the most of a bad situation.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GORDON340
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We were sent to this hotel by Easyjet after our flights were cancelled ,when we arrived at the Monica Sur hotel we thought what have we been sent to but when we went to the reception what a suprise we were greeted with by a lovely girl who could speak perfect english and was very helpful.
The rooms are a little basic but extremly clean.
The food in the restaurant was tasty but a little basic ,but saying that there was plenty of it .
The staff in the restaurant they were fantastic nothing was to much trouble.
The location of the hotel is in the middle of a small town not a tourist destination but it is perfect for a over night stay to catch a plane as it is near the airport.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granadilla de Abona
Hotel Carel
Hotel Carel
#5 of 5 in El Medano
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and Spa
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and...
#6 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona
#56 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
4Dreams Hotel
4Dreams Hotel
#20 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Hotel Aeropuerto Sur? Share your experiences!