“Great break”

Hotel Pension La Vista
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great break”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The second time we have stayed here and definitely an even better experience. Nice clean room with excellent shower. Martin cooks a pleasant evening meal and you are not far from the town centre if you want to go out instead, although there are not many choices at the moment. Wi-Fi was important as we had to contact home regularly and it worked well.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for a ground floor room if stairs are a problem
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Due to a booking error we had to stay in this hotel for 3 nights. 3 nights of purgetory. Before we even arrived we receieved a barage of rude emails, espicially the one that finnished book somewhere else if I were you. Cannot book direct with hotel they want your credit card details so if you fail to arrive they will take money from you anyway.
On arrival the owner tried to make it up to us , such a smoothy I think the reason is the Hotel is up for sale. You are badgered constantly to eat in your every move is watched and Martins wife what a sour Puss .First night confronted with electrics that took a mathmatition so work out lol. A heater in the room that did not work,well it tripped electric water that fluctuated like the tide too hoot too cold. The rules in you room LMAO, basically just go to sleep dont drink dont eat dont use my electric in fact I felt we were going to be charged to breath. The room only gets swept and beds made nothing else, oh and the maid dont put sheets all the way down the bed we worked out its not that top sheet is too small the sheet is folded over counterpain to protect it from your "Dirty hands " when in bed lol and the bottom sheets are far too small.We had booked a Casita for our holiday and it cost less per night than this Hotel its very expensive for what you get.
Would never recommend it I could go on and on . Oh by the way roof terrace you are warned its out of bounds but you can go on it "At your risk only"
I could write more but read bay_girl2 all that as well

Room Tip: They are all noisey.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seasonedtravellers99
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I spent eight days here prior to going to the coast for the last 6 days of my holiday. I initially booked bed and full English breakfast with the intention of seeing how it went for the first evening meal. Well I was not disappointed; so much so that I ate in the restaurant every night for the remainder of my stay. I was treated to a selection of well-cooked, tasty, generous meals, including an amazing Paella. The little bar served a wide choice of drinks but I stayed with the local and very reasonably priced Dorada bottled beer and indulged in a good few carafes of quality local red wine. I stayed in a first floor single room and got mostly good quality sleep, with very little outside noise. The temperature at the beginning of February is relatively low, so I needed both the additional blankets that were supplied. The shower was hot and very powerful in the en-suite bathroom. An unexpected bonus was the provision of a TV with some English channels. Mobile phone reception was very good considering the place is in the mountains. My hosts Martin and Mila were attentive, friendly and helpful throughout my stay. I would definitely return, if only to experience the wonderful food. For those not used to walking far, Guia de Isora is quite hilly, but I enjoyed the daily 10 minute walk down into the town for the reliable bus services to the coast in both directions (Los Christianos one way or Los Gigantes the other way. A hire car or Bono card for the Titsas is a must, as taxis can be expensive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I would recommend this hotel to everybody who want to live in silent and calm environment. That is a small home-like hotel. Very convenient clean rooms with everything needed. The food, prepared by Martin is delicious. Especially Sunday Paella was wonderful. Mila's recommendations concerning active time spending are very useful. Very nice place to live not far from both mountains and beaches!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I'm not sure where to start here but will go with the facts based on my experience.
The room was clean, the shower was powerful and there was lots of hot water (which unfortunately would fluctuate without me touching anything and would suddenly turn to scalding hot.)
The mattress feels cheap and the fitted sheets are thin and don't fit, sliding off through the night. The location is really on the way to nowhere. I knew it was "off the beaten track" when I booked it, but this place is waaaay off the beaten track. Apparently if you're into hiking/walking, it's ideal, but it certainly wasn't like mountain trails started at the back door or anything. From what I could tell, to get anywhere you need a car, a Bono Bus Card or a mountain climbing goat.
Restaurants are sparse but there is a great supermarket, pastry shop and small cafe in the town. Buses down the mountain are frequent (an hour to Los Christianos and half an hour to Playa San Juan).
The owners, Martin and Mila are an unsmiling duo. She was very rude to me when I first met her. Her husband must have told her that I commented on the fact that it was sunny on the coast but cloudy up on the mountain. Her first words to me were, "We are not responsible for the weather." Really??? Who knew?
I think their primary goal is for you to eat at their hotel. Sadly it was far too overpriced to make this a viable option. Meals are cheaper down on the beach and are equally as good and in some cases, much better. They want €4.40 for breakfast; bread, ham, cheese, yogurt, boiled eggs. I had a grilled cheese and ham and an Americano on the beach for €2.60. I paid €29 for their "Festive Christmas dinner": prosciutto, ONE prawn (not deveined), a bread roll, a salmon fillet wrapped in pastry, two new potatoes, asparagus, 1.5 glasses of wine...I asked for a Baileys in my Irish coffee and was told I couldn't have it!! So they put regular whiskey in it and it remained untouched, it was disgusting!! The desserts were dire, a mince pie, fruit cake (who the hell eats fruit cake?) and a bland thin slice of Apple torte. The best part? Everyone else I was sitting with had the steak and were served their meals first. They we're COMPLETELY finished eating by the time my meal arrived. It was really poor service and value for money.
Sadly the worst part for me was the way the owners spoke about other customers when they left the dining room. It was really quite mean and disrespectful and completely unnecessary and unprofessional. I would think that if someone is paying to stay in your establishment, you should treat them with dignity, respect and courtesy. I could say more but suffice it to say, I won't be returning and ultimately it's because of the owners. I could live with the donkeys braying, the cockerels crowing, the barking dogs, the hills and the isolation of the area, but I could not tolerate their sour faces, rudeness and snide comments about other customers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bay_girl2
United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I had a single room which was simple but clean. The dinners were cooked by Martin which were very good and I particularly enjoyed the bottles of local wine. Mila was very efficient in providing me with bus timetables and arranging the Masca Gorge walk. In the morning she would telephone the boat company to make sure that the boats were running and gave me bus schedules for the trip. She also passed my mobile number to the boat company incase I was held up and did not make it for the last boat. She also recommended some walks nearby on some of the days when the weather was not too good. The room and the food was such excellent value and I will definitely be back. Thank you so much for making my stay so memorable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
La Orotava, Canarias, Spain
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very disappointed in this little hotel, after the many positive reviews I read before booking. From the moment I entered the door, I felt like they tried to get extra money out of me: Want to pay per credit card? €3 extra. Want to use the WiFi? 3€ extra. The evening meal was ok, but terribly overpriced. For the same amount of money I had eaten a fantastic meal in a charming place in Puerto de la Cruz a few days earlier.

The room was small & clean, but had definitely seen better day. The towels were threadbare and fraying. In most homes - let alone a hotel - they would have been turned into cleaning rags a long time ago. In the bathroom there was one little sachet of liquid soap. The next day it did not get replaced. When I asked for more the owner grudgingly went to a closet with me and gave me one other sachet. I did ask, if I could perhaps have bar soap and she said, she did not have any. Another traveller told me that he had bar soap in his room and even offered to trade me his. Go figure.

In the shower the water pressure was ok, but the temperature was iffy. Warm water ran out during my quick shower and one evening I did not have hot water at all. In the information card in the room they even comment that they are problems with the water temperature and they cannot do anything about it.

I had booked without breakfast, but one morning considered to take the breakfast option for practicalities' sake. One peek though at the totally spartan breakfast cured me of that notion though. Another traveller complained to me about the breakfast, too.

When I tried to check out in the morning to get to the airport no-one was to be seen. After extended pounding on the door and ringing the bell, the proprietress showed up in her bathrobe and barked at me, if I wanted to leave this early in the morning (7:30!! Breakfast there starts at 8:00) I should check out in the evening. Oddly, I had discussed departure times and how much time was needed to get to the airport with her partner the day before and he mentioned no such thing.

I paid 28€ per night without any meals and without the surcharges for using a credit card and Wifi. Definitely not good value. During my stay in Tenerife I stayed at two other hotels at that price which were by far superior to this one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Hotel Rural El Navio
Hotel Rural El Navio
#1 of 1 in Alcala
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora

Been to Hotel Pension La Vista? Share your experiences!