“Fabulous resort let down by food quality”

The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Guia de Isora
Reviewed 4 May 2014

As many have already reported, this is an extensive resort with much to offer. The rooms are excellent and all areas seemed to be very clean. The staff are very friendly and willing to please. Indeed the plus points make a fine list for a resort of this kind.

There are many dining options. Unfortunately, all of the focus on quality appears to be somewhat limited to the high profile Michelin star restaurants. The standard of "the rest" was very disappointing. The golf club house was particularly bad - don't eat there!

However, it is testament to all the other positive aspects that resulted in a very enjoyable stay, despite the disappointing food. I suppose if I had eaten only at the top restaurants I would have given this 5 stars.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the main bars in the main building (unless you are OK with late night noise). T...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CaptainPacific
Write a ReviewReviews (2,519)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

One of the Best resort we have ever stayed in. Great facilities, stunning views, clean and spacious rooms (we stayed in Delux room), diverse choices of restaurants not to forget all of them are amazing with 2 Micheline star restaurants....El Mirador being the best with views, food and staff, we also used Verona, beach club and cafe in golf course. Most of all the staff was absolutely amazing, they make you feel comfortable and look after you all the time. helping and smiling. Golf course is simply amazing with great facilities and breathtaking views. Expensive but well worth it. Only weak point would be its location and beach (for those who are looking for long public beaches and are not content with small private beaches). if you do not have your own car it could be a difficult place to cover the island from, only option would be taxi or excursion tours which comes at additional cost.

Room Tip: Rooms with resort and ocean view would be good to choose from. If you can afford a villa its no brai...
3  Thank AG_London
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Visited recently with work, this resort is very large with stunning views and brilliant staff. I was in one of the villa's which was beautiful and very large, sunken bath with separate shower, living room and two outside seating areas. Worth asking for one by the pool. Several beautiful pools and a stunning selection of restaurants. Would return for a holiday.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 245JoE
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed in This hotel for one week. The experience was lovely, The food was average. Staff were very helpful and kind. Location was ok There was a private beach, Nice swimming pool. The room was astonishing GREAT facilitys too! The cleanliness was nice too. I will never forget my trip to Abama

Room Tip: If with kids it is better to stay on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Myself, my wife and my 7 year old child stayed there for a week over Easter. We really enjoyed our visit. We ate in most of the restaurants. I can recommend MB's (although probably not with a child), Kabuki, Verona, El Mirador and Los Chozos. Most of the restaurants had a buffet for children which they loved because they could pick and choose what they wanted to eat because they could choose a few different things. Los Chozos by the main pool was excellent and we ate there every day without getting bored of the menu. Jarek (apologies if I have spelt this wrong) was an excellent host. My son enjoyed the kids club but would have preferred if there was soccer every day. The kids club does initially feel like its stuck down the basement until you find the shortcut by the pool and then its actually quite close. My only two issues were that if you were not down by the pool very early it was difficult to find a bed. This resulted in a lot of guests going down very early to put books on beds to reserve them. It was extremely annoying!! Lastly I really was not happy with the lifeguards. Sometimes they were there, sometimes they were not. It takes two lifeguards (one on each bridge) to properly cover the main pool. At best there was one. I don't know if it a cost issue or poor management but someday there is going to be an accident!! Other than these two issues we had a great holiday and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: we stayed in 630 and it was very large and had a great view
2  Thank REI101
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We just came back after spending one week there, it was the second time for us.

Few notes:

- Breakfast buffet, please improve the spanish ham you provide. Last year was much better.
- Check in and languages. As a Spanish family we appreciate speaking in our own language. A good number of the staff they could hardly understand Spanish. Additionally, I understand trainees need an opportunity but don't put a trainee for a check in when a familiy has travelled long, they are tired and have small kids. It took us forever.
- Since I learnt the lesson last year I booked all restaurants in advance, it would be nice to have all the schedule when check in rather collecting the information in different desks.
- When I booked the room, I asked for a quiet room and we got it in front of the golf course. We ended up with couple of golf balls in our little garden, with the risk associated specially for our kids. Then I saw a number of people walking by in front of our room
- The little train to go down the beach, may be cute but no practical. Specially when you are waiting for the train to come and roasting in the sun. As I said to the staff at the main entrance if I want the train, I have enough taking the underground on a daily basis in London!

On the other hand, bravo for the Spanish staff at the restaurants. They were always smiley and very friendly although they were working really hard managing the crowd

Room Tip: Avoid being next to the golf course
2  Thank Mara11746
Abama2, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Abama, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Mara11746,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your valuable comments; it is only with your feedback that we are able to create exceptional memories for our guests.

With regards to your concerns, I offer no excuses but my sincerest apologies and have taken the liberty of sharing them with my respective department heads in order to correct and better these shortcomings experienced by you.

On a positive note, I thank you for the beautiful comment concerning our Ladies & Gentlemen in the restaurants, I will be passing on your kind words which I am certain they will truly appreciate, especially after our busy Easter.

Despite not having fully met your expectations, I do hope that we see you back for a third time in order to prove that we are able to deliver the legendary service associated to The Ritz-Carlton.

Kind regards,
David Cayuela

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Abama is a beautiful and stylish resort. We went during low season, which meant that we sometimes had the pools all to our selves (everyone else was golfing). Staff was very helpful, spa, swimming pools, food, ambience and beach very recommendable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Suite Villa Maria
Hotel Suite Villa Maria
#3 of 61 in Costa Adeje
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#1 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Royal Garden Villas
Royal Garden Villas
#1 of 61 in Costa Adeje

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Abama? Share your experiences!