“An impressive hotel in every respect!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Guia de Isora
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Ritz Carlton Abama. We have travelled all over the world staying in 5 star hotels so our expectations were high. We were very impressed with the Abama. The service was professional, incredibly friendly and wonderfully personal. I would like to thank all the staff so much for making the holiday very special. The staff couldn't have done more for us! We stayed in both a standard room and a villa room. The standard room was huge with a stunning luxurious bathroom and a large sunny balcony. The villa room however took our holiday to another level. What really made it for us was having a garden terrace adjacent to the beautiful pool meandering through the other villas. There was only ever one or two other families or couples around the pool (possibly because we stayed in early June when I gather the hotel is lovely and quiet) and it was convenient being next to our room with a toddler. The main pool however is stunning and enormous just a bit busier. All areas of the hotel, gardens and communal areas, rooms and pools are immaculate and clean.

The hotel is vast so you have the benefit of dining at various restaurants and I would recommend the half board option. The El Mirador restaurant has a tremendous setting. As the hotel is so huge you can stay there all week without getting cabin fever. The beach was lovely and quiet during the week and there is a little beach restaurant with picturesque views over the bay with all the facilities you need by the beach, clean toilets, towels, bed chairs, refreshments. The photos do not do the beach justice as it's surrounded by covered banana plantations (not concrete which is what it looks like in some photos!)

I understand the management has changed recently and this is clear because it seemed we had a wholly different experience to previous trip advisor reviewers who stayed some time ago. I would have no hesitation in recommending friends and family to this hotel and look forward to returning.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shrimpfish
Abama2, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Abama, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Shrimpfish,

It is such a pleasure to read a great review, I thank you for the time in submitting it.

There are some beautiful adjectives in your review “incredible friendly and wonderful personal” that truly pride me of the Ladies & Gentlemen we have working at The Ritz Carlton, Abama.

We look forward to welcoming you back where you will once again be able to indulge in our good food and settings.

Kind regards,
David Cayuela

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Abama

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Tagor Villas, exclusively reserved for adults, part of the Ritz-Carlton ABAMA resort, are a "calle" of villas with a wonderful pool also just for adults. It is a haven of peace and perfect service around the day (free drinks, 4 snacks a day) in the center of the hotel villas. It is, especially at school holidays when the hotel is crowdy, a luxury oasis for adults. Tagor guests have free buggies to move inside the resort. A second pool, the most beautiful pool at Mirador, with amazing views over the ocean and Gomera Island, is another reserved area for adults. The newly 2-star-Michelin awarded restaurant M.B. is a must ( very expensive ), the Abama golf the most beautiful golf of the island.

Room Tip: At the villas, If you prefer a room with terrace on garden and pool level choose the floor rooms, ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maki D
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have just had my second visit to The Abama 4 years after my 1st. I was so excited to be going for a week this time. Arrival was just as good as i remembered being welcomed and greeted by the friendly staff and a nice glass of bubbly, i wish the reception staff had the same attitude. We were told our room was not ready (we arrived at 11.30am check in is 3pm) but she said we would be given a call as soon as our room was ready and it would be earlier than 3pm. No call arrived and just after 3 pm having had a wander and lunch we arrived back at reception and were given our keys and told the bellboy would be behind us with our luggage. We are also members of a Golf & Country club owned by Marriott in our city and we are told to always carry our card when visiting hotels that are also members of Marriott/Ritz-Carlton for room upgrades etc but the receptionist was not interested she just said nothing she could do with it.

Our room was just on the ground level same as reception and was beautiful, bright, airy and spotless however we had no luggage in our room! After 30 mins of waiting i went to the main entrance and our luggage was still sitting, i went back to reception to mention it was was given a short sharp shrift by another receptionist who said "it would be sent along" the luggage did arrive promptly after that but should i have to chase my luggage?

The food is amazing we ate in Pampa (was good) El Miridor (The best by far) Verona (Amazing) and also lunch at the El Miridor pool side bar, golf club bar and the main poolside restaurant. The lunch menus are very similar from place to place but by far the t the Golf Club was the best, amazing views and a very relaxed atmosphere.

We just ordered the shuttle or a buggy when we wanted to go anywhere on the resort, as the adults pool is now at El Mirador it's a little walk downhill is fine but coming back after a day of soaking up the sun it is a hike but the pool attendants/bar staff are happy to call the hotel for one to be sent down to collect you. Last time we were given use of a buggy for our stay but this seems to be reserved for those staying at Villas now!

Your room is service everyday and the maids are lovely and do a great job, ours kept switching the electricity and air con off everyday the first day we did not know what had happened, there is a master switch in the room but i had to go to reception to ask again i was met with a short shrift and told where the switch was. Not sure if it is something the hotel does overall or just our maid but it's annoying when you leave something on charge and go back hours later and as the electricity has been switched off it's still not charged.

The prices are expensive for drinks 18 euros for a Vodka & lemonade but it's a Ritz-Carlton and they are not shy with the vodka. A re-branding of the hotel seems to be going on and the Ritz-Carlton heads were there during our stay announcing it so it's now the Ritz-Carlton Abama now, what difference this makes only time will tell.

Some of the restaurants/bars were closed during our stay, they seemed to be staggering openings i guess as it was not as busy so channeling everyone to fewer places. We never got to use the sports bar/Tapas bar/Japanese Restaurant so can't offer a review of these. The gym is good and the water circuit in the spa is amazing although i would not pay to use it.

Good Points :
Amazing location
The pool attendants and bar staff look after you and remember you -(George & Alan very happy to help)
Plenty to do

Bad Points:
Reception service weak & unfriendly
Electricity switched off everyday
No tea making Facilities in room only a Nespresso machine

All in all i love the Abama and look forward to returning once the it's had the full Ritz-Carlton re-brand and see what changes are made.

Room Tip: Opt for an Ocean view room if possible
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank joyce O
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Simply the best Hotel & resort on the island. I think that one sentence says it all. Service is outstanding, the food is excellent whether you eat in the casual restaurants or the high end Michelin starred ones. The bathrooms are second to none and the bedrooms are spacious and immaculate, not to mention the Imperial Kingsize beds. One tip I'd give is to have an ocean view room. The only one real criticism I have is the Mirador seafood restaurant has wild cats roaming around your feet if you choose to eat outside which makes for an unrelaxing dining experience, however the food is exemplary. This Hotel & resort is everything you'd expect from a Ritz-Carlton. Yes, it's pricy, but quality costs! (I find if you budget £100 per day per adult after the accomodation cost, that is sufficient). The Abama is also superb for families as the Ritz Kids Club is brilliant! My 6yo nephew never wanted to leave.

Room Tip: Always choose an ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear RJV1989,

Thank you for the submitting your wonderful review.

I am truly pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience with us. My sincerest apologies for the cats in el Mirador, we are, however, trying to humanely eradicate this situation.

The Ladies & Gentlemen of The Ritz Carlton, Abama look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,
David Cayuela

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had my wedding at the Abama Hotel on the 9th of April. I stayed the night before with my bridesmaids & my mum in two adjoining rooms, the rooms were perfect with a view of the sea, there was tapas and mojo sauce waiting in the room and a glass of champagne on arrival. The beds were really comfortable and everything was spotless. The maid came for turn down service before we went for dinner and having seen my wedding dress hanging up, she left a rose and a note to say congratulations, I thought this was lovely. We used Nadine from My Perfect Wedding to plan the wedding and she did a superb job, when I told her I wanted to get married on the beach she recommended this beautiful venue and I'm so glad she did as it was perfect. Nadine & all her staff are just amazing and if I could do it all again I would chose Nadine and her team. The food on the day was amazing, everybody commented on how nice it was and the wine was free flowing throughout the meal. The night of the wedding we checked into the honeymoon suite which was huge and so perfect, it had a wrap around balcony and separate dining area, we loved it so much we paid for a late checkout which was great value at €75 to stay until 4.00 pm. Just to note for anyone getting married at the Abama, I was a bit worried before the day that the drinks were going to be too expensive but we had no complaints, a beer was €6.50 which wasn't bad considering the location, it was the perfect setting. The breakfast was the best I've had in any hotel so much choice. I've just returned from my honeymoon and stayed at 2 luxury 5 star hotels and I can say that without a doubt the Abama tops both of them. I did feel that some of the staff particularly at reception could do with a bit more training as I felt they were a bit disjointed but that would be the only small complaint I would have, I'm sure this could be solved easily. For anyone who is thinking of getting married in Tenerife, I have 2 pieces of advice... 1) Make sure you use My Perfect Wedding 2) Book the Abama Hotel.....Yes it is expensive but it's once in a lifetime and it was worth every penny. For any brides to be, I'd be happy to answer any questions as I know when I was getting married here I would have loved to talk to someone who had done it already. Hope this helps :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ElleM1213
Reviewed 9 June 2014

You are on the beach, approximately 7:00 pm and just prepaired for 20 minutes to the room on foot...then you leave the sand and one employee (without calling him) is waiting you to go to the lobby by golf cart...

The example above explains hotel support ...of course rooms, restaurants, golf course are in the top level as you could imagine in this 5 stars hotel but I have been in many of these kind of hotels and believe me employees here are professional and friendship at the same time...we all will go back the next time

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JoseIgnacio794
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The nurse needed rehab after illness and I some regaining of fitness. With BA now flying to Tenerife and usually guaranteed warmth in May we chose on recommendation the Abama Resort South of the Island and 25 mins from airport another plus.We do not usually like large resorts and if a golf hotel dislike the subsidising that other non golfers face to fund the luxury of the fairway. The Tagor Villas here are nothing short of spectacular, set in adult only area with 60 metre free form pool again adult only. Concierge at hand and snacks all thro day with comp drinks and excellent coffee. Service fantastic, more than service. Kindness, humour a truly marvellous and well trained team. No wonder Swiss hotel schools send there charges here on secondment. Was it 7 rests on site including Mich 2 star French and Mich. 1 star Japanese. I kid not on a tourist resort these are serious people. Not surprising when realise it is Ritz Carlton group.I will review the heavy hitter restaurants separately perhaps only comment that allowance in these places for half board I would say is too low. The starred eaterie for us was Pampa serving exquisite Argentinian food. Steaks so wonderful and 500g equally wonderful rib eye and great lamb. Service exemplary - China Tang send your team there to learn how to do it. Close second was the Italian, Navona brilliant Italian food and gluten free pastas for the reviewer. Incidentally the home made gluten free breads everywhere were superb. We also enjoyed the Tapas bar, room service and the setting of the Mirador. Only the latter had more style over substance with better seasoning needed. The adult only breakfasts in the Mirador were beautifully served in wonderful surroundings.Choices good but main breakfast apparently offers 150 choices though we did not go. The villa occupants do have golf buggy to travel round estate and it is vast and hilly. We tended to walk everywhere for fitness and it is 260 steps to beach or there is a Funicular. Played tennis everyday both with nurse and coaches. Tennis facility superb as were Alvarro and Claudio the coaches. So much more to consider but this is too long. Simply put this is quality with capital Q. Well dome Abama. Remember however we were in the very special adult only villa section.A hotel in a hotel. Go there, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank N3RVE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guia de Isora
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 81 in Puerto de la Cruz
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Bahia del Duque
Bahia del Duque
#9 of 59 in Costa Adeje

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Abama? Share your experiences!