“Definitely a 5* Resort but not perfect”

The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Guia de Isora
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently returned from an very enjoyable holiday at the Abama resort that I feel just about did enough to have a 5* review. Check in was seamless and the lady even booked us to a restaurant for later that evening, this a trend that carried on throughout our stay and contrary to some reviews I felt that service was Excellent.

Our Room was spotless and was very spacious and I could not fault the actual room, however the pool that was directly outside our room was shut for no apparent which was disappointing as it would have been ideal to have a pool on our doorstep.

The restaurants were also very good and I don't think I had a bad meal, however the food it very expensive and you can get just as good quality food for 1/3 of the price in San Juan down the road, one thing that annoyed me was the fact they charged 5 Euros for a 200ml Diet Coke, when in the town restaurants were charging 2 Euros for 350ml, It wasn't really the price that annoyed me but the size of the bottles, I mean if you pay more you should get more (thats how quality works) however with the drinks you were paying more and getting less, which I can only translate as being poor quality.

The Tennis and Padel courts were brilliant but they were always empty (not sure why) and breakfast was always good (however the Ketchup was disgusting)

Overall a very relaxing and enjoyable stay and would return and recommend to a friend (just sort out those Diet Cokes)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Angus774

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Bit of a strange one.

The Abama is a five star rated hotel, it has all of the physical attributes to be a 5 star rated hotel but having read a number of the reviews and my own personal experience I do feel that the hotel service is particularly inconsistent.

We had a couple of episodes that you would never expect at a 5 star hotel, however, in fairness, having brought this to the attention of management our party was very well looked after for the rest of our holiday. I am a believer that for whatever reason you maybe unlucky and have a poor experience, it is how these issues are resolved that leave a lasting impression.

I recently wrote a review of a hotel in Greece where the service and consideration by the staff was exceptional, without doubt the best service we have ever received. Abama does seem to have recurring service issues which is a shame as the property is lovely.

I would give the Abama another try as I do believe if they can get it right it will be a truly fantastic hotel

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dan B
Abama2, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Abama, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Dan B,

I would like to take the opportunity to, first, thank you for submitting your experience and, secondly, for ending off by saying you would give us another try.

I am disappointed to see that the service provided let you down, for this I offer no excuses but my sincerest apologies. I would also like to thank you for having informed us of these service issues while still in the hotel allowing us to help resolve them as best we could.

Once again I would like to thank you for considering us for a future stay and truly hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was our first real holiday with our 6 month old baby, and we purposely sought out the Abama having had great recommendations from friends with young children as being a family-friendly destination. We were not disappointed.

The hallmark of this resort is quality. The service was second to none from the moment we arrived to departure - staff were helpful, attentive and ken to assist wherever possible, regardless of the request. Anyone will children will know the importance of having people on hand in a timely fashion to prevent meltdowns, so the Abama was great on that score. We also found an excellent local English babysitting service - unlike some hotels on the island, the Abama allows non-guests to visit, which meant we could take advantage of a little R&R time ourselves.

The room itself was magnificent - we upgraded to a suite and it was well worth the money given the large room space. It was like having our own apartment, but with the convenience of the hotel. There was a great balcony as well which we utilised many times during the stay to sit out on and have some meals. Tenerife is of course a great climate for outdoor dining.

Breakfast was a particular highlight - great buffet selection and plenty of variety. The restaurants on site all offered good quality cuisine at decent enough prices bearing this in mind this is a Ritz Carlton resort. We tried Kabuki, Verona and the wine bar at La Pampa and all delivered what we expected - the tuna tartare at Kabuki is not to be missed.

The pool areas were pleasant - there is an adults only pool near the sea that is quieter than the main one, and the beach area was also easily accessible. Although the Abama is slightly isolated so you can't walk into a town or village, it is a short distance away from Playa San Juan or the Americas conurbation. Renting a car is advisable as they are very cheap and give you some flexibility.

The only minor negative was that 3 nights out of 7, outdoor dinners took place by the pool just under our windows. The dinners were over by midnight but on one night, a PA system was rigged up and an almighty din ensued when some drum music started. One quick call to the front desk and the hotel immediately sorted this out - and has the decency to send us a bottle of very good wine the next day as an apology. Once again showing just why the Abama is a cut above other hotels!

Room Tip: Don't overlook the pool if you want a quiet stay as outdoor functions often take place there - a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank The_Grand_Tour
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have been a fan of this Resort since my first visit in 2006 and have returned on 3 separate occasions, the latest being for a 7 night stay in April 2014.

Let me just say that the property is beautiful in terms of style and facility and ticks all my boxes when I'm in search of 5* luxury accommodation... And it has the price tag to match, so lets not pretend this is a cheap holiday. However when commanding such prices, I think a guest does expect a minimum level of consistency and something resembling a seamless service. Don't confuse me for me being demanding and high maintenance... I'm relative easy to please. However what disappoints me the most about this hotel is that the service is so shambolic I will not risk another visit and will in future take my money elsewhere.

Check in was a chore in itself as the wrong room category had been assigned and it took a good 45mins plus email proof from me that indeed I had booked what I had asked for and the hotel had made a mistake (no apology came either). Any further contact we had with reception throughout our stay after this for various requirements was met with broken promises and inaccurate information. Having to constantly repeat myself and the situation all because someone who didn't hand over properly from one shift to another. I felt I was constantly having to be on top of their game any time I came into contact with them. Call me old fashioned but as the guest here, is this not meant to be the other way around?

Love the new outdoor bar seating on the courtyard but after a 30 minute wait of being ignored by any bar staff who would take our order, we upped and left.

Breakfast at El Mirador was hit and miss. Some staff extremely friendly and intuitive, to whom we preyed each morning would make an appearance and most days we got lucky. Others were just lazy and looked extremely bored. After being seated, guests shouldn't have to be ignored for 25 minutes for being asked whether they would like tea or coffee or to take hot breakfast options. I've never had the need to raise my voice in order to attract attention in a restaurant before. Perhaps this new consistency of being overlooked and ignored as though not even being present was beginning to get to me but it had the desired effect!

Also gone are complimentary in room tea making facilities now. You can ask for a kettle in your room from housekeeping but if you would like some teabags, they will set you back EUR1 each. When one of the largest guest nationalities is England, why alienate them by charging extra for their staple cuppa? Also with the hefty price tag for the rooms, surely a hotel can stretch to teabags - or is this a RC thing?

Condiments in restaurants and on room service trays are now a cheap Spanish brand. Gone are the international brands in mini glass jars that they've had every other time I've stayed here. The new style sachets look cheap and taste it. As for the portion sizes, I ordered a pasta one evening that came presented in a huge rimmed bowl. The actual pasta consisted with a portion size that took up about 1/10 of the size of the bowl and lasted for approximately 3 mouthfuls. With an overpriced price tag to match. Except for 2-3 room service meals, we decided to eat out each evening where food quality, quantity and value for money were far more apparent.

Spa - perfectly decent relaxation area outside of the treatment rooms unused. Instead you have to go back to the spa reception and sit in your robe while people walk in and out. People waiting for treatments, others making appointments, people milling about, phones going off. Hectic and stressful when the whole point about spa time is relaxation.

Check out was a repeat of the shambolic chaos that check in resembled and for the first time ever on a holiday, I left with a sigh of relief and twinges of disappointment.

I really fear that Ritz Carlton is taking over and detracting from the appeal of this amazing jewel in The Canaries. Tight operational budgets and cost cutting while subtle in some areas are blatant in others and these are now detracting from the overall enjoyment of this hotel.

While I love the rooms and public spaces, I cannot justify the price tag when you get the sloppy service to go with it. Next time we travel to Tenerife, it will regrettably have to be another property.

Room Tip: Ground floor garden view villas echo with the footsteps from those in the ocean view villas above. I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 1ATURNLEFT
Abama2, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Abama, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear 1ATURNLEFT,

I would like to thank you for sharing your impression of your stay.

After reading your review I realize we fell well short on your expectations, for this I offer no excuses but my sincerest apologies.

I can assure you that all the shortcomings mentioned will be discussed in length with our management team to take the necessary action in order to provide our guests with exceptional service and the consistency that you would expect in a hotel such as ours.

I do hope you reconsider when planning another holiday to Tenerife as I am confident that we are very capable of providing you with the exceptional service you expect.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Ritz Carlton Abama. We have travelled all over the world staying in 5 star hotels so our expectations were high. We were very impressed with the Abama. The service was professional, incredibly friendly and wonderfully personal. I would like to thank all the staff so much for making the holiday very special. The staff couldn't have done more for us! We stayed in both a standard room and a villa room. The standard room was huge with a stunning luxurious bathroom and a large sunny balcony. The villa room however took our holiday to another level. What really made it for us was having a garden terrace adjacent to the beautiful pool meandering through the other villas. There was only ever one or two other families or couples around the pool (possibly because we stayed in early June when I gather the hotel is lovely and quiet) and it was convenient being next to our room with a toddler. The main pool however is stunning and enormous just a bit busier. All areas of the hotel, gardens and communal areas, rooms and pools are immaculate and clean.

The hotel is vast so you have the benefit of dining at various restaurants and I would recommend the half board option. The El Mirador restaurant has a tremendous setting. As the hotel is so huge you can stay there all week without getting cabin fever. The beach was lovely and quiet during the week and there is a little beach restaurant with picturesque views over the bay with all the facilities you need by the beach, clean toilets, towels, bed chairs, refreshments. The photos do not do the beach justice as it's surrounded by covered banana plantations (not concrete which is what it looks like in some photos!)

I understand the management has changed recently and this is clear because it seemed we had a wholly different experience to previous trip advisor reviewers who stayed some time ago. I would have no hesitation in recommending friends and family to this hotel and look forward to returning.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shrimpfish
Abama2, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Abama, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Shrimpfish,

It is such a pleasure to read a great review, I thank you for the time in submitting it.

There are some beautiful adjectives in your review “incredible friendly and wonderful personal” that truly pride me of the Ladies & Gentlemen we have working at The Ritz Carlton, Abama.

We look forward to welcoming you back where you will once again be able to indulge in our good food and settings.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Tagor Villas, exclusively reserved for adults, part of the Ritz-Carlton ABAMA resort, are a "calle" of villas with a wonderful pool also just for adults. It is a haven of peace and perfect service around the day (free drinks, 4 snacks a day) in the center of the hotel villas. It is, especially at school holidays when the hotel is crowdy, a luxury oasis for adults. Tagor guests have free buggies to move inside the resort. A second pool, the most beautiful pool at Mirador, with amazing views over the ocean and Gomera Island, is another reserved area for adults. The newly 2-star-Michelin awarded restaurant M.B. is a must ( very expensive ), the Abama golf the most beautiful golf of the island.

Room Tip: At the villas, If you prefer a room with terrace on garden and pool level choose the floor rooms, ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maki D
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have just had my second visit to The Abama 4 years after my 1st. I was so excited to be going for a week this time. Arrival was just as good as i remembered being welcomed and greeted by the friendly staff and a nice glass of bubbly, i wish the reception staff had the same attitude. We were told our room was not ready (we arrived at 11.30am check in is 3pm) but she said we would be given a call as soon as our room was ready and it would be earlier than 3pm. No call arrived and just after 3 pm having had a wander and lunch we arrived back at reception and were given our keys and told the bellboy would be behind us with our luggage. We are also members of a Golf & Country club owned by Marriott in our city and we are told to always carry our card when visiting hotels that are also members of Marriott/Ritz-Carlton for room upgrades etc but the receptionist was not interested she just said nothing she could do with it.

Our room was just on the ground level same as reception and was beautiful, bright, airy and spotless however we had no luggage in our room! After 30 mins of waiting i went to the main entrance and our luggage was still sitting, i went back to reception to mention it was was given a short sharp shrift by another receptionist who said "it would be sent along" the luggage did arrive promptly after that but should i have to chase my luggage?

The food is amazing we ate in Pampa (was good) El Miridor (The best by far) Verona (Amazing) and also lunch at the El Miridor pool side bar, golf club bar and the main poolside restaurant. The lunch menus are very similar from place to place but by far the t the Golf Club was the best, amazing views and a very relaxed atmosphere.

We just ordered the shuttle or a buggy when we wanted to go anywhere on the resort, as the adults pool is now at El Mirador it's a little walk downhill is fine but coming back after a day of soaking up the sun it is a hike but the pool attendants/bar staff are happy to call the hotel for one to be sent down to collect you. Last time we were given use of a buggy for our stay but this seems to be reserved for those staying at Villas now!

Your room is service everyday and the maids are lovely and do a great job, ours kept switching the electricity and air con off everyday the first day we did not know what had happened, there is a master switch in the room but i had to go to reception to ask again i was met with a short shrift and told where the switch was. Not sure if it is something the hotel does overall or just our maid but it's annoying when you leave something on charge and go back hours later and as the electricity has been switched off it's still not charged.

The prices are expensive for drinks 18 euros for a Vodka & lemonade but it's a Ritz-Carlton and they are not shy with the vodka. A re-branding of the hotel seems to be going on and the Ritz-Carlton heads were there during our stay announcing it so it's now the Ritz-Carlton Abama now, what difference this makes only time will tell.

Some of the restaurants/bars were closed during our stay, they seemed to be staggering openings i guess as it was not as busy so channeling everyone to fewer places. We never got to use the sports bar/Tapas bar/Japanese Restaurant so can't offer a review of these. The gym is good and the water circuit in the spa is amazing although i would not pay to use it.

Good Points :
Amazing location
The pool attendants and bar staff look after you and remember you -(George & Alan very happy to help)
Plenty to do

Bad Points:
Reception service weak & unfriendly
Electricity switched off everyday
No tea making Facilities in room only a Nespresso machine

All in all i love the Abama and look forward to returning once the it's had the full Ritz-Carlton re-brand and see what changes are made.

Room Tip: Opt for an Ocean view room if possible
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank joyce O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guia de Isora
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Bahia del Duque
Bahia del Duque
#11 of 60 in Costa Adeje

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Abama? Share your experiences!